Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Offenhauser 2X1 question

 
  #31  
Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 PM
vntgtrk's Avatar
vntgtrk
vntgtrk is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 566
vntgtrk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Damifiknow View Post
I don't recall anything like that on my 1904. I'll go look tomorrow.
Could it be you have a non LoM carb with a LoM dizzy?
I read somewhere that this can cause poor fuel mileage and sluggish performance. I'm not sure how to read the carb #'s to determine which type it is. I also don't have a clue if there were any 223 dizzys made without LoM
 
  #32  
Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Damifiknow's Avatar
Damifiknow
Damifiknow is online now
Elder User
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 958
Damifiknow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by vntgtrk View Post
Could it be you have a non LoM carb with a LoM dizzy?
I read somewhere that this can cause poor fuel mileage and sluggish performance. I'm not sure how to read the carb #'s to determine which type it is. I also don't have a clue if there were any 223 dizzys made without LoM
After further investigation (I went and looked at truck) I do have a LoM and the matching carb on truck now is for a LoM. Two vac lines one from carb and one from manifold. The second glass bowl carb I bought is for a car without a LoM. I now have to change dizzy to make the stuff I have work on the 2x1 offy. Recommendations or link to what dizzy to buy and were to get it? Can my dizzy be modified?
 
  #33  
Old 01-11-2014, 06:32 PM
51PanelMan's Avatar
51PanelMan
51PanelMan is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,664
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Read this all the way through: Help with 215 OHV I6 2x1 set up - The Ford Barn. There are instructions at the end on how to convert a later style 300 dizzy to use with the 215/223 engine.

If you're persistent, you can make it work. I just got tired of it not working right and wanted to drive the truck without dropping more money into it. Let us know how you make out.
 
  #34  
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM
vntgtrk's Avatar
vntgtrk
vntgtrk is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 566
vntgtrk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Read this all the way through: Help with 215 OHV I6 2x1 set up - The Ford Barn. There are instructions at the end on how to convert a later style 300 dizzy to use with the 215/223 engine.

If you're persistent, you can make it work. I just got tired of it not working right and wanted to drive the truck without dropping more money into it. Let us know how you make out.
This is exactly what I did. I also set it up with a GM (I know, sacrilege) HEI module because it's cheap, see above pic. In my case I got a '64 oil pump as I had the pan off anyway. It has the 5/16 opening for the later oil pump drive shaft used on the Duraspark dizzys. IIRC I bought a new drive shaft and cut it to fit. I had to have the stock dist gear opened up to fit the larger shaft of the Duraspark dist. I had a machinist do it as I know one and we exchange favors on a routine basis.
Seems like a lot of work and it is. But is it worth it? I think so. Ford Duraspark is, IMO, the best dizzy ever made.
 
  #35  
Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Damifiknow's Avatar
Damifiknow
Damifiknow is online now
Elder User
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 958
Damifiknow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Read this all the way through: Help with 215 OHV I6 2x1 set up - The Ford Barn. There are instructions at the end on how to convert a later style 300 dizzy to use with the 215/223 engine.

If you're persistent, you can make it work. I just got tired of it not working right and wanted to drive the truck without dropping more money into it. Let us know how you make out.
Thank you Thank you

Knowing all this info why didn't you peruse the fix with a modified dizzy?
 
  #36  
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Damifiknow's Avatar
Damifiknow
Damifiknow is online now
Elder User
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 958
Damifiknow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by vntgtrk View Post
This is exactly what I did. I also set it up with a GM (I know, sacrilege) HEI module because it's cheap, see above pic. In my case I got a '64 oil pump as I had the pan off anyway. It has the 5/16 opening for the later oil pump drive shaft used on the Duraspark dizzys. IIRC I bought a new drive shaft and cut it to fit. I had to have the stock dist gear opened up to fit the larger shaft of the Duraspark dist. I had a machinist do it as I know one and we exchange favors on a routine basis.
Seems like a lot of work and it is. But is it worth it? I think so. Ford Duraspark is, IMO, the best dizzy ever made.
Thanks for all your help. Prolly tackle this in a month or so after I gather all the parts.
 
  #37  
Old 01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
51PanelMan's Avatar
51PanelMan
51PanelMan is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,664
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Damifiknow View Post
Thank you Thank you

Knowing all this info why didn't you peruse the fix with a modified dizzy?
Because I was fed up with it. My problem was that I couldn't get the carbs synced well enough. It would work perfect one day, then another would be crappy.
 
  #38  
Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Damifiknow's Avatar
Damifiknow
Damifiknow is online now
Elder User
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 958
Damifiknow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Because I was fed up with it. My problem was that I couldn't get the carbs synced well enough. It would work perfect one day, then another would be crappy.


When you were fooling around with your duel set up what jets were you using? I got a 64 and a 66 but I think its too much. Any recommendations?
 
  #39  
Old 05-23-2014, 07:36 PM
51PanelMan's Avatar
51PanelMan
51PanelMan is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,664
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
I think it had 54s or somewhere around there. I'd think you'd want both jetted low.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
uh60
1999 to 2016 Super Duty
0
10-30-2016 03:03 PM
stansrubyred2013
2009 - 2014 F150
8
09-01-2016 08:04 AM
66P51
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
6
05-29-2016 02:50 PM
KDAVID1
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
36
08-14-2015 07:10 PM
foxbodyford
Arkansas Chapter
8
12-18-2014 05:37 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Offenhauser 2X1 question


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.