6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Thinking about a 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is from another thread on the 6.7 forum that also pertains to this thread.

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
You can go to the Dieselplace.com for DMax issues and Cumminsforum.com for Cummins issueshttp://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-powertrain/ .

I'll answer your question like this. My cousin has been a Ford diesel tech since '93 and works at a dealer that sells Fords and Chrysler and now that the 6.7 psd has been introduced the amount of warrenty repairs have dropped significantly compared to the 6.0/6.4 psd. The warrenty repairs have dropped so much that this past year he was trained to work on the RAMS cummins since the warrenty/repair activity has shifted.

I spoke with him on Christmas and to date his shop has yet to replace a 6.7 psd engine and on the fuel side he's replaced one fuel injector this year. Also this is a dealer here in TX that sells +90% trucks.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsfarmer
Been shopping around for a new F250 or F350. Going from a '12 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 gasser regular cab work truck to a 4-door diesel Lariat fully loaded. I plow snow and pull a 16K lb equipment trailer around, and put around 20K miles on a truck each year. Plan on trading trucks every 5-7 years.

Questions is---how many guys on here have had ZERO problems with their new 6.7's? I know people don't usually post about how trouble free their truck has been and you always hear horror stories from all three trucks, whether its problems with DEF, EGR, or hubs not locking in or balljoints wearing out or something.

IMO you pay 50-60K for a pickup truck you should not have to take it back to the dealer for anything....at all. You should only have to do oil changes, tire rotations, and scheduled maintenance for at least 100,000 miles. That's the reason I bought a GM 6.0 gasser, proven to be a reliable truck and motor, but just a little lackluster in the power and MPG department. Its done everything I've asked it too, but 8mpg gets a little old and a little more pulling power would be nice.

I guess what I need is just a little convincing to switch back over to a Ford instead of getting another GM product or changing over to a '13 Ram Laramie.
You might wanna stick with gassers if you want long term confidence and reliablity. Emissions diesels are still to new to gather real world long term longevity info. Besides, if you're pulling 16K all the time, your fuel mileage wont be that much better. If you're getting 8mpg with the gasser, I'll put you at 10-12mpg average with the 6.7 IMO. The Ford 6.2 gasser is a great engine that has best in class fuel economy. Plus you get the better built Ford truck (over the GM or Dodge). Might wanna check out the 6.2 while you're searching. The power of the 6.7 is amazing though. Once you get past that (power of the engine), you should objectively weigh your options.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree that the definition of problem is in question here. I don't think it would be a good idea for you to expect 100,000 miles from the truck with zero problems. Heck, my wife's expedition had to have a battery, serpentine belt tensioner pulley replaced, and the radio acts funny. It's a 2008 with 80,000 miles on it.

My 6.7 truck has not been perfectly problem free either. But, it's the best tool for my job.

Get the truck that you want, maintain it, do your work, and try to enjoy it. The ford SD trucks are the best, regardless of which engine you choose.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM
jim48
Elder User
BSFARMER

I agree with your original statement of wanting a truck you don't have to take back to the dealer for anything other than oil changes!!! Nothing wrong with that statement, I think we would all agree that would be wonderful. But in my 65 years of life I have yet to own a vehicle that I have not taken to the dealer for SOMETHING that happened to it, even if pretty simple. I might add that I am one of the most **** and easiest users of vehicles that there is. I do expect my vehicles to perform as advertised, but I have found this does not mean that some little thing can still happen.

I suggest you do your homework when making a choice on a truck, then try really hard to enjoy it. Don't beat yourself up over what could happen, maybe it won't. Of course none of us want troubles with these horribly expensive trucks, but in the end all you can do is inform yourself of the choices and then just do it.

We had our truck out of the garage yesterday just to run it for a while. Boy is it a nice truck. Kinda rough riding with no weight on it, but the wife says it's not bad on smooth road.

Good luck with your decisions, keep us up to date on what you decide. Waiting for a new truck is half the fun.........

Jim

Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
bsfarmer
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies and the insight. I've got nothing but time to think it out and wait for the right deal and wait for some good programs for new trucks. Or wait for a nice used truck comes in off a 2-year lease or some program truck with a few miles.

We''ve been also thinking about waiting another year on the truck and getting my wife a newer 4Runner for the kids, obviously we can't afford two new cars in one year so its either going to be the truck or the car first, depends on whats out there and where the best deal is.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Front Runner
You might wanna stick with gassers if you want long term confidence and reliablity. Emissions diesels are still to new to gather real world long term longevity info. Besides, if you're pulling 16K all the time, your fuel mileage wont be that much better. If you're getting 8mpg with the gasser, I'll put you at 10-12mpg average with the 6.7 IMO. The Ford 6.2 gasser is a great engine that has best in class fuel economy. Plus you get the better built Ford truck (over the GM or Dodge). Might wanna check out the 6.2 while you're searching. The power of the 6.7 is amazing though. Once you get past that (power of the engine), you should objectively weigh your options.
I like this comment and would add, get a good warranty for any brand truck you purchase and don't worry about it breaking.

8 months and 6,000 miles, no problems other than getting a new set of tires put on under warranty for cracking. Love this truck.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Headspace
Freshman User
Go for it!

Just bought a 2013 f-350 6.7l, dually 4x4 lariat. I LOVE IT! The finest vehicle I've owned in 50 years of driving as a sales engineer. It is a pleasure to drive, everything feels tight, well designed and fitted up, goes like a stripped assed ape. Only have a hundred miles on it but it was getting 18+mpg at 60 on hilly roads. Cost $62k with everything including best ESP and maintainance plan.
Did a lot of research on Ram, Chevy and GMC for over a year before I bought. The new 6.7l diesel is a true Ford product now, completely designed by Ford and produced by them. It is an awesome piece of engineering. Engine in quiet, smooth and POWERFUL.
I intend to change maintainance plan from 7,500 intervals to 5,000mi intervals because I will run it with 6,500 lb load all the time (slide in camper and other after market equipment).
So it will be running with that load at 65 to 70 on western interstates, high, steep mountain roads and lots of dirt road and occasional tortuous off road 4x4 in granny gear. It is our off road, boon docking RV.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,448 Likes on 894 Posts
Originally Posted by Front Runner
If I was pulling 16k lbs all the time a 6.2 gas engine would be the last recommendation I would make.

OP,
Good luck with your choice...

Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Headspace
Just bought a 2013 f-350 6.7l, dually 4x4 lariat. I LOVE IT! The finest vehicle I've owned in 50 years of driving as a sales engineer. It is a pleasure to drive, everything feels tight, well designed and fitted up, goes like a stripped assed ape. Only have a hundred miles on it but it was getting 18+mpg at 60 on hilly roads. Cost $62k with everything including best ESP and maintainance plan.
Did a lot of research on Ram, Chevy and GMC for over a year before I bought. The new 6.7l diesel is a true Ford product now, completely designed by Ford and produced by them. It is an awesome piece of engineering. Engine in quiet, smooth and POWERFUL.
I intend to change maintainance plan from 7,500 intervals to 5,000mi intervals because I will run it with 6,500 lb load all the time (slide in camper and other after market equipment).
So it will be running with that load at 65 to 70 on western interstates, high, steep mountain roads and lots of dirt road and occasional tortuous off road 4x4 in granny gear. It is our off road, boon docking RV.
Congrats on the truck and welcome to FTE.

Sounds like we own the same truck and live in the same region.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,080 Likes on 2,220 Posts
Welcome to FTE and enjoy the rig. Post up some pics of that truck...sounds like a nice set-up!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Headspace
Freshman User
Same truck

Originally Posted by marchare011
Congrats on the truck and welcome to FTE.

Sounds like we own the same truck and live in the same region.
Yes, I just got a 2913 f-350,6.7,dually,4x4 lariat. Adding a Road Armor front bumper with Warn winch off my '88 f-250.
I live outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Yes, I just got a 2913 f-350,6.7,dually,4x4 lariat. Adding a Road Armor front bumper with Warn winch off my '88 f-250.
WOW! A 2913 F-350. I didn't know they were out yet.

I live and play in NE Wyoming. The Big Horn Mtns. and the Black Hills.

The saying around here is, pics or it didn't happen.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by los341
9K miles and zero problems here so far... Our first big trip was pulling a fifth-wheel out to Maine and back. Had a blast!

Regarding the comment of there should be no problems before 100k miles... personally I think that's an un-realistic expectation for a truck as big and complicated as these. Heck, that's a lot to expect even from a plain-jane car base-model car that only grandma drives! I think you can expect a few problems. That comes with the territory and is also why it comes with a warranty. These trucks are designed to work hard while keeping the occupants safe and comfortable, but they're not perfect. Treat it well and it will treat you well!

Carl
So, what kind of mileage do you get hauling that 5th weel trailer?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 2913 should either be solar, or nuclear powered and fly to the moon to boot!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
los341
Senior User

Originally Posted by archangel
So, what kind of mileage do you get hauling that 5th weel trailer?
About 9.5 to 11.5. It's an 18k trailer. I'm preparing to have it tuned and deleted though, so I expect the mileage to go up

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 2013