Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Issue w/ The E40D, HELP PLS!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 AM
BIG POPPA 5
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet Another Issue w/ The E40D, HELP PLS!

96 f250 7.5 ltr got stuck in a mud hole not bad my heavy duty Bumper got hung up, the water was just up to the bottom of he doors. was stuck in it for maybe 20 minutes got out no problem (unfortunatly w/ help from a Z-71) any way once back on the pavement truck won't shift, it shifts from 1st to 2nd smooth and then gets stuck. was low on fluid when i checked it added some but no change. any ideas, could the water have had anything to do with it. thx in advance for any help ya'll can give!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 946 Likes on 751 Posts
Get under there and check the harness connections, you were offroading so you may have knocked something lose. If all that checks out pull the codes.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
BIG POPPA 5
Junior User
E40D Problems

did that and every thing looks fine, I have a CARMD that my son got for christmas and was gonna hook it up but i can't seem to find to plug to plug it into. i figured it would be right under the dash like my super duty.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
horsez2go
Freshman User
The brain port is under the hood on drivers side, toward the cowl, just below the fender rail.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,152 Likes on 910 Posts
If your truck does not have California emission equipment on it then it is most likely OBD-I. The Diagnostic Data Link is under hood. That CARMD reader is not going to work.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM
BIG POPPA 5
Junior User
ok yup it isnt what I got from a local guy is that it was one of the last built in 95 so it is what they are calling a transition truck before the new rules to affect i am guessing. so what they are now telling me is the Prindle switch may have gotten water in it and is not telling the transmission to shift, it is also a range selector does this sound right, i can buy it for about $40 and put it on there and see if that fixes it. What do ya'll think????

Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
I had to look up "prindle switch".....In Ford terms it is called a Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS). It is located on the driver side of the transmission. Yes it could be contaminated with water/mud or perhaps just the connector itself.

The same could be happening with the connector on the solenoid pack on the passenger side of the transmission. Ford did re-design both connectors in 1995 for this very issue but you sunk yours in pretty deep from the sound of it. I would suggest pulling the connectors, cleaning them with contact cleaner then see if the problem is resolved.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM
BIG POPPA 5
Junior User
I'll do that, thanx every one for your help I will let you know how it worx out. GOD BLESS!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM
BIG POPPA 5
Junior User
well that didn't fix it.... I'm stumped any other ideas out there, or should I start looking for a replacement Tranny?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BIG POPPA 5
well that didn't fix it.... I'm stumped any other ideas out there, or should I start looking for a replacement Tranny?
What did not fix it?

You really should check for codes as mentioned before. The E4OD is 100% electronic controlled. The PCM relies on input from many sensors to control the engine and the transmission.

I pointed you to the easy things such as connectors. The next steps are check for codes and possibly replacing the MLPS if you did not do so already.

An investment in a cheap DVM would also go along way to actually measure the MLPS resistance and solenoid packs if it gets that involved.

One other question: Does the speedometer act ok? No flickering or wild swings?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 AM
BIG POPPA 5
Junior User
I attempted to get the codes read but everyone says if u don't have a chk eng light or some other indicator on they can't help the truck doesn't have the 16 pin connector needed for the one I have. I cleaned the connectors as u suggested and then replaced the mlps and that didn't fix it either, as far as the speedo is working perfectly also the od off indicator light on the shifter lever is working as it should as well. I was a little frustrated earlier, I know it is a process of illimination, I just don't wanna get invested so much in the process that I ended up spending more of my hard earned benjamins than it would be to just replace it. But I am gonna give a call to the trans pros in the morning see if I can get some diagnostics done reasonably. That said I am ready to hear any advise from ya'll I can get. What is this DVM u mentioned, a diagnostic meter?.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Your truck is OBD-I as mentioned before the Diagnostic Data Link is under the hood near the driver side hood hinge. Ryan has some good info to check for codes without a code reader: Fuel Injection Technical Library » How To Run a Self-Test . Warm up the truck then use the procedure he outlines in the write-up. Your truck will display 3 digit codes. By the way....you can still have codes without a Check Engine Light On.

DVM: Digital Volt Meter aka Digital Multi-Meter (DMM): Fuel Injection Technical Library » Digital Volt Meters

Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
You never did say if you checked the plug on the passenger side of the transmission.
Make sure you pull the back of the plug off and see if any of the wires are pulled out or parted. This plug may be behind a shield that you have to remove two small bolts near the pan area near the back of the transmission.

/

Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
BIG POPPA 5
Junior User
Thumbs up UPDATE

Ok i checked all the plugs i could find cleaned and plugged back in(not fixed)I think i told ya'll before that i replaced the MLPS and that didnt fix either, so I found in a forum for Broncos w/ e40d issues and in it there was a thread about offroading and haveng trouble shifting it said that you should replace your "ALTENATOR" that water and mud can cause the altenator to have rectifier issues and it will swap the ac/dc and send the wrong charge to the PCM and it confuses it and sends it into LIMP mode. so I replaced the Altenator (no fix) so then replaced the Battery (no fix) i wasn't not pulling the codes cuz i am thick headed but the only guy who had the ability to chk the codes couldn't do it till Wednesday so i just kept trying everything I could think of to no avail or at least i thought, i relaced the Alt on saturday night and the Battery on Sunday morning each time i fixed something I followed the instruyctions I found here on the FTE on how to reboot the PCM, no one could ever say how long it would take so, anyway I drove to work this morning (3 miles ) and it was still not shifting and this evening I got in it to come home and low and behold it shifted to third 4th then OD it did make a clunking noise shifting into 4th the 1st time but seems perfect now, I am gonna take it and have the system flushed and filters changed tomorrow, My question is am i celebrating too soon should I be waiting for the other shoe to drop, i am thinking I may take it and see if there are any codes still. but what do ya'll think? i know they just don't fix them selves I wanna believe that it took that long (about 30hrs) to reset the computor,,,... anyway I would appreciate knowing what ya'll think... THANX SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
HERE IS THE LINK @ FSB FORUM THAT HAS THE INFO ABOUT THE E40D PROBLEMS http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=122096

Last edited by BIG POPPA 5; 01-07-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
I posted a link for checking codes yourself no reason to wait for someone else or spend money like you already have. I am very familiar with the thread on FSB.com, I am a member there as well. Glad to hear your truck is working, for now.

I sincerely hope your truck continues to function properly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet Another Issue w/ The E40D, HELP PLS!