Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What happened to my steering??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:40 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to my steering??

Seems like ever since I rebuilt my oil cooler my steering is weird. I took the powersteering pump alternator loose to do the oil cooler rebuild. Dont have time to search right now but will. Just hopeing someone could point me in the right direction.
Seems like the recalll is gone or something. Just getting harder to keep it in a straight line. New redhead less than a year ago but 290k+ on everything else. Thinking about replacing everything up front. What all do I need.
Gotta go
Thanks guys

Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
take to a reputable alighnment shop for a free inspection .other than that ? could you got something on the p.s. belt when servicing the cooler.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:12 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
No I dont think anything on the belt. Powersteering seems fine, just does not recenter after turning. Cant remember what that is called.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:33 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Well looks like I need to replace some tie rod ends on the Navigator so I guess I might as well figure out what all I need to replace up front on the 250 and just do them both over the long weekend. Any pointers or parts lists will be appreciated
thanks

Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
O K guys had to bring this back to the top. I need some input on this. I have a Redhead that is less than a year old.
It just seems like my steering is not recentering after I turn. what is up? Is it time to replace everything. What can cause this? Never thought it would have that much affect on the way it drives.. 290k+ on everything up there.
Help please
thanks all

Old 12-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I had to do tie rod ends, shocks, stabilizer bushings, and a PS pump. The Readhead is next, but the other stuff made it so the Readhead was not urgent.

One time I had a car that a woman sold to me for a good price because it always pulled hard to the left and it hurt her arm to drive it. I took it in for an alignment and they said it was straight... so I took it in for tires. The tires were on recall because the steel bands would break, as one of mine had. New tires installed for a greatly reduced price and it pulled straight.

As an experiment, try lowering your air pressure in the front, just to see what effect that has. Inspect the wear pattern on the front.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Thanks Tugly. I would but I literally just put new tires on last monday, and it was doing it before and after the new tires.
I am not sure what it is called, but usually the steering will recenter after a turn. Mine is not recentering. I think this is what is causing my problems. not sure though. I definetly need new shocks I know. Just thought I would go ahead and do the rest while I was at it. Ends, bushings, just need to know if that is all that should be replaced.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM
srteach
Elder User
Air pressure being different from side to side will cause pull in the steering.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
its not really pulling. Tire pressure is the same. I think it is just slop plus not recentering. I am just having to constantly do the minor corrections to keep straight because it is not recentering. I am thinking maybe one of the ends sticking or something.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if its not the steering gearbox,I would unhook both tierods at spindles,and make sure you can move spindles,there should be resistence ,but should be able to move spindle with one hand.Les Schwabs had over tighten the ball joints for the po and damaged them to where they was so tight,it prevented the steering from returning to center,theres a procedure to follow when installing ball joints, and some techs dont know or care to follow,hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Do you have a steering stabilizer? If so take it off and make sure the action is correct.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
Do you have a steering stabilizer? If so take it off and make sure the action is correct.
No I do not. Never have, but was thinking about getting one along with new shocks when I replace everything up front. Kinda leaning toward Bilstein eveything. Did that mess ever get straightened out about the bad Bilstein customer service that was going on here awhile back?

Old 12-24-2012, 07:26 PM
White 99
Mountain Pass

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
How about ball joints? If one or both is real bad and moved it could effect things.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Crop and Mike thanks for the ball joint pointer I have not really looked at them in awhile. I have replaced ball joints on the truck 2 or 3 times cant remember, and it has been awhile since I have looked at em. will have to take a peek tomorrow. Have MOOG on there but the grease zerts are so tight in there they get nocked off.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:25 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking ball joints as soon as you said it wouldn't re center. Had the same issue on my dads truck, and a new set of ball joints fixed it. His was 2wd.

Quick Reply: What happened to my steering??