1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel Return Hose Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel Return Hose Questions

As a tangental follow up to this post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...uel-leaks.html

I replaced the fuel bowl on my truck and after doing so discovered that my fuel return hoses were leaking. A quick search around found the below post, among others.

Originally Posted by RubberDuck
There seems to be a rash of fuel leaks lately. And most of them seem to be on the soft lines coming from the FPR to the front of the cylinder heads. The hoses that look like hydrolic lines, that connect to the the little 90* fittings on the FPR and cylinder heads.

Well, I went to Ford today and showed them the lines on the truck, instead of guessing. Long story short, I got the lines. Here are the part #'s

Line from FPR to drivers side head......
F4TZ-9D308-A $23.35

Line from FPR to Passenger side head......
F4TZ-9B273-A $50.27

Powerstrokeshop.com has them for alot less. And for the people that have the 3 other soft lines leaking, here are your part #'s.
So that resolved the part number issue, but didn't answer my other ones.

1. I have read various accounts of how easy or hard these are to replace. Some just say to remove the Darth Vader cover and remove/replace them, others say you have to dismount the alternator and A/C compressor. Which is correct?
2. What size are the fittings on the hoses? I'd like to use the proper size flare nut wrenches to avoid damage.
3. Powerstrokeshop appears to be dead, what's the current best place to get these?
4. Is there an International counterpart part number, and is it still available?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I have great luck with Tousley Ford parts. They are fantastic on price.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Yeah, that looks like they have good pricing. I may try to see if some of my local dealers will price match tomorrow.

Any thoughts on the other questions?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Not likely on price matching.they won't care.trousley is out to kill everyone else I think.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Eh. It's been hit or miss on that. One local dealership says they will match any internet Ford dealer's parts prices, so I might give that a go.

Kind of surprised that I've not gotten any replies on the coupler size, International part numbers or just generally replacing the things.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Spktyr
Yeah, that looks like they have good pricing. I may try to see if some of my local dealers will price match tomorrow.

Any thoughts on the other questions?
No go for me. But it is even hard to get them to find me the right parts. Tousley is giving a sweetheart of a deal so you can afford to pay a bit on shipping. I've had nothing but positive business with Tousley, on the occasion that I pay a little more with them(over aftermarket) it is well worth it.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Eh. It's been hit or miss on that. One local dealership says they will match any internet Ford dealer's parts prices, so I might give that a go.

Kind of surprised that I've not gotten any replies on the coupler size, International part numbers or just generally replacing the things.
This is the first I have heard of them leaking, but that doesn't mean much lol.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Ordered from Tousley Ford. Still hoping for input on the other points...

Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Got my hoses in - didn't know that Ford was having Aeroquip make the new ones, but both of them were clearly of Aeroquip manufacture and had labels/tags that indicated such.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Got my hoses in - didn't know that Ford was having Aeroquip make the new ones, but both of them were clearly of Aeroquip manufacturer and had labels/tags that indicated such.
Did you get the IH # part?
I have read that the hose of the pass side needs to remove the AC, IDK.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Did you get the IH # part?
I have read that the hose of the pass side needs to remove the AC, IDK.

Never did get the IH part number.

Can you link me to where you read that? I can't seem to find anything definitive about what does or does not need to be taken off. Do you happen to recall if it is "dismount and move aside" or if it is "discharge and remove entirely?"

Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Never did get the IH part number.

Can you link me to where you read that? I can't seem to find anything definitive about what does or does not need to be taken off. Do you happen to recall if it is "dismount and move aside" or if it is "discharge and remove entirely?"
Sorry, I dont remember where I read that, but I remember that you just dismount and move aside without discharge or remove entirely.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
I recently did my return line from driver side head. You'd have to be a magician to do it without budging the bracket towards the radiator. I did NOT need to remove the compressor from the bracket, though. I guess it's theoretically possible to do it without removing anything, but it would be darn near impossible to get it threaded up.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
I recently did my return line from driver side head. You'd have to be a magician to do it without budging the bracket towards the radiator. I did NOT need to remove the compressor from the bracket, though. I guess it's theoretically possible to do it without removing anything, but it would be darn near impossible to get it threaded up.

What's the best way to accomplish moving that bracket, then?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Remove the serpentine belt, remove the manifold from the back of the compressor, remove the electric lines going to the compressor. Remove the bolts holding the bracket on, perhaps only loosen the bottom-most one. Now, lean the assembly toward the radiator. This should allow access to the line.

Keep in mind that I don't have a fan or fan shroud on my truck. That made this procedure quite a bit easier. Also, don't attempt to remove the compressor if you typically have corrosion issues with your truck. That turned mine into a giant clustermess.

Quick Reply: Fuel Return Hose Questions