Sponsored by:

About the tailgate key switch part number

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I need the same switch in the gate. ND bill found me the one in the dash locally. But I have yet to ask him about the gate switch.

ND Bill (Numberdummy) is on vacation. He won't be back till around the 20th guy's.
good info..thanks..I'm fairly handy about harness repairs and adapting one from a later year would be ok actually. I'm surprised Ford didn't make a replacement universal one to be spliced in..but I guess we shall see...and of course..should probably make sure the local salvage yards aren't crunching any Broncos at this time..

Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sprayed the down button in the tailgate and it only worked about two weeks. I'm looking for the two buttons assembly also.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:36 PM
CS79bronco
Senior User
You could try testing the wires, from the plug behind the taillight to inside the tailgate too. They are known to break in the area where they bend as the gate opens & closes. It's also common for the contacts inside the dash switch to get hot & corrode/burn, causing the tailgate window circuit to lose the ground connections. There is one for up, & one for down so that may cause the window to only go one way, usually both seem to go at the same time.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Hmm, would it be possible to open the switch body itself and view the board? Maybe you can get to the bottom of the button and clean the gunk out that is preventing the connection. Shoot i should do that with my own switch since it doesn't work period, though the only way i know to test them is to wire them up each time which could be troublesome. Then again i don't know much about this switch so it is probably easier than that. The point is do you HAVE to replace the whole thing or could you fix the current one? Seeing as they are hard to come by i would imagine people have done this before.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Lox
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Hmm, would it be possible to open the switch body itself and view the board? Maybe you can get to the bottom of the button and clean the gunk out that is preventing the connection. Shoot i should do that with my own switch since it doesn't work period, though the only way i know to test them is to wire them up each time which could be troublesome. Then again i don't know much about this switch so it is probably easier than that. The point is do you HAVE to replace the whole thing or could you fix the current one? Seeing as they are hard to come by i would imagine people have done this before.
Sounds like a good bet. Have you checked LMC though? I have had good luck finding stuff with them!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 AM
CS79bronco
Senior User
The whole switch assembly is a molded unit, including wires. I doubt there would be any way to cut or break it apart without destroying it beyond being usable. There is a ton of info about the tailgate wiring & diagrams available on fullsizebronco.com. Search on there for info. You should find a clear wiring diagram, along with pics of the switches and actuator.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well shoot I guess someone will have to find a way to open one without breaking it eh? I have to pull mine someday anyways, I will look into it. Mine is old and broke anyways so I shouldnt lose out on too much.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

I got my up key working with electrical cleaner on the key button for a short time. I'm going to try Break Free CLP next when I have time to open it up.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good input...

This is a good conversation..evidently one that is relevant to more than just myself at least.

In my case, with this 86, I really don't want to take it all apart w/o the parts I want to have on hand for a proper long-time fix. I have another dash switch coming so as to have on of "those" on hand.

My wiring is fine..but that pesky DOWN micro-switch on the rear..Oh well..the race is on for a NOS piece that I can use for a repair...

I have been to the "pik'n'pull often" just don't really want to "pick,pull,and install" another 25+year old switch...that's my story...

"an' I'm stickin' 2-it"

Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Haha don't worry we know what you mean. The problem is I just don't think anyone fixes them or restores them. I also have never heard of anyone making new ones either. you might get lucky and find an unused one that was in some warehouse that a ford shop used but that's a slim chance I think. I guess if you find something the let us know so we can all jump on it too

Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Dorman probably makes replacements.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
For the electronic switch part? Hmm I'm not sure on that, I would ha e thought if they did then they would show up apart stores or something. I haven't been able to find any.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 PM
CS79bronco
Senior User
No one makes a replacement, couple guys on FSB searched and bought all the old stock new ones they could find years ago. They passed them on to other Bronco owners as they needed them a long time ago. Your chances of finding a new one are probably less than winning a lottery.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My key switch thing is clear gone. Just the key tumbler that works but no switch. I do wish I had even the old one so I could use it to make something that would work. Climbing my crippled **** in and out of the truck with the custom ball buster seats is a real pain. Literally. I am sure (like Dylan) that if I applied myself and put my mind to it I could come up with something that would work as well if not better than what Henry had in there. I guess I should get some kind of manual with a pic of what was there to start with.
Hey, I wonder if the Bronco Graveyard Catalog has a pic of it. I need to find it and look I guess.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by arctic y block
My key switch thing is clear gone. Just the key tumbler that works but no switch. I do wish I had even the old one so I could use it to make something that would work. Climbing my crippled **** in and out of the truck with the custom ball buster seats is a real pain. Literally. I am sure (like Dylan) that if I applied myself and put my mind to it I could come up with something that would work as well if not better than what Henry had in there. I guess I should get some kind of manual with a pic of what was there to start with.
Hey, I wonder if the Bronco Graveyard Catalog has a pic of it. I need to find it and look I guess.
I have the perfect site then this guy has every picture for the tailgate that I have ever seen. I think I put it in the bronco FAQ thread too. http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/12689

it even has info on the switch but not how to fix.

Quick Reply: About the tailgate key switch part number