6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2012 transmission problem

Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 PM
baetke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 transmission problem

Took the truck to dealer one month ago yesterday. Had the bad jerky limp home mode raise it's ugly head. Figured no big deal, reflash and everything will be fine, not so. Dealer decides there is a short in the wiring that leads to transmission. Will order new part, no problem, wrong. Factory doesn't even have any available. So how do they build new trucks? Harness to be sent from supplier to factory then to dealer. Well one month and still no truck. Same old story, first one with this problem. Thankgoodness I don't run a business and need it.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Racer5349
Posting Guru
That sucks. Hope they help you in a timely manner. When I had my body shop back in the late 90s it took me 6 weeks to get an airbag for a Geo Prizm, and they had to actually pull one from the assembly line, or so I was told. Good luck. I have a '12 also and hope your problem is an isolated incident.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Flatbed Ed
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts
So far no tranny problems on mine @ 20,000 miles. I have always had good luck with Ford trannys. They go a long time before failure.
My 99 psd went 417,000 miles before I had it go bad and my 2008 psd never had a tranny issue up to when I traded it in at 320,000 miles.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 AM
newapple
Freshman User
My 2012 has had bucking upon rolling take off bad bangs as it does not know what gear it should be in. Very erratic shifts. Been to the dealer 3 times so far and they can't duplicate complaint. Also if I kick the throttle down to pass a poke the trans drops too far and over revs the motor to the point it will not pass but makes lots of engine noise. I am a tech 34 yrs fixing cars trucks etc. Ford says just leave it with them...... My trans shop says the line pressure is too low and there are many complaints. Five star tuning has a fix tune BUT Ford says it will void my warranty. My truck goes back next week. ONE OTHER NOTE.. If I drive in tow haul for even 10 minutes the problem goes away for a week or two! Love the truck, hate the trans, my last truck was a 07 F250 6.0. The trans and shifting was awesome .

Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Flatbed Ed
So far no tranny problems on mine @ 20,000 miles. I have always had good luck with Ford trannys. They go a long time before failure.
My 99 psd went 417,000 miles before I had it go bad and my 2008 psd never had a tranny issue up to when I traded it in at 320,000 miles.

Dont wanna hijack the tread so, PM sent.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM
2011F250Lariat
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by baetke
Took the truck to dealer one month ago yesterday. Had the bad jerky limp home mode raise it's ugly head. Figured no big deal, reflash and everything will be fine, not so. Dealer decides there is a short in the wiring that leads to transmission. Will order new part, no problem, wrong. Factory doesn't even have any available. So how do they build new trucks? Harness to be sent from supplier to factory then to dealer. Well one month and still no truck. Same old story, first one with this problem. Thankgoodness I don't run a business and need it.
Well not good, but at least it hasn't been 4 months like with mine, that's how long they've been trying to fix my 2011 F-250s tranny, and still having issues.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
baetke
New User
2012 Update.

truck was in shop for a month. Seems the wiring harness was bad, couldn't get a new one. Finally got it back and drove 210 miles before it quit again. Spent one more weekend in shop and got another section of harness replaced. Been out for three days and no problems when sitting in garage. So much for buying new.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 PM
amtrack
New User
I too am having problems in a kick down situation. it seems to kick down too deep and realy over rev the engine. If i back out of it it seems to remain in the lower gear way to long. especially when towing.
2012 f250 sd 7-19-11 #1014

Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Retread65
Junior User
amtrack - I have one that does exactly the same as yours. Mine does it whether the tow/haul mode is activated or not. If it's pulling at 50mph and I want to pass someone it requires a very slow acceleration procedure and just don't even think about it unless there's 2 miles of clear roadway ahead.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Jettix2
Senior User
BTW my shift-neutral-slam shift behavior only happens maybe once every 1000 miles.

Originally Posted by newapple
My 2012 has had bucking upon rolling take off bad bangs as it does not know what gear it should be in. Very erratic shifts. Been to the dealer 3 times so far and they can't duplicate complaint. Also if I kick the throttle down to pass a poke the trans drops too far and over revs the motor to the point it will not pass but makes lots of engine noise. I am a tech 34 yrs fixing cars trucks etc. Ford says just leave it with them...... My trans shop says the line pressure is too low and there are many complaints. Five star tuning has a fix tune BUT Ford says it will void my warranty. My truck goes back next week. ONE OTHER NOTE.. If I drive in tow haul for even 10 minutes the problem goes away for a week or two! Love the truck, hate the trans, my last truck was a 07 F250 6.0. The trans and shifting was awesome .

Old 01-10-2013, 04:28 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Jettix,

What's the build date on your truck? Did you have to have the solenoids replaced or was yours a job 2? I'm sure you stated it probably in another thread, sorry if you're having to repeat yourself. I wonder if the issue has always been prevalent, but you're feeling it more so with the tunes? I dunno, just throwing out some ideas...

My truck shifts better than ever now with the tuner on it. I haven't had any hiccups so far (been running it about a month or so). Then again, my truck is a job 2 and ever since I had the dealer perform the trans tsb, it's been pretty solid (a hiccup here or there but nothing like it was initially where the truck would fall on its face).

Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM
amtrack
New User
eratic shifts

The buld date is very early its 7-19-11. it seems to kick down way too far when towing and over rev. I back out andit seems to hold the gear way to long .
Should i be looking for a particular part or computer # that may be causing this? amtrack 2012 f250 6.2 buld date 7-19-11 last four #1014

Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM
bowhuntwi1
New User
I have the same problem...as stated above about kicking the throttle down to pass, the trans drops too far and over revs the motor to the point it will not pass but makes lots of engine noise. I was told by the Dealer this was normal....since then I have readjusted my way of driving. I'm glad that more people are coming out and saying they have the same problem, my truck is a 2012 Lariat 6.2.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Jettix2
Senior User
June 2011 build, which I believe is after the solenoid TSB.

Truck shifted PERFECTLY both empty and towing until 12xxx miles. Since then it's mis-shifted about 10 times.

It actually did it TODAY, and for the first time ever, did an over-rev kind of thing..........2-neutral, then 3rd, then slammed back into 2nd at 5200RPM....I kept my foot static on the throttle to see what it was going to do. If I lift off, and re-apply, it will immediately shift (harshly) and go.

Strange....

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Jettix,

What's the build date on your truck? Did you have to have the solenoids replaced or was yours a job 2? I'm sure you stated it probably in another thread, sorry if you're having to repeat yourself. I wonder if the issue has always been prevalent, but you're feeling it more so with the tunes? I dunno, just throwing out some ideas...

My truck shifts better than ever now with the tuner on it. I haven't had any hiccups so far (been running it about a month or so). Then again, my truck is a job 2 and ever since I had the dealer perform the trans tsb, it's been pretty solid (a hiccup here or there but nothing like it was initially where the truck would fall on its face).

Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That is strange, that was the same issue mine had. I got the software update done on mine (job 2's had the newer solenoids but not the software fix) and it corrected it almost 100%.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 transmission problem