Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

CCV Mod

Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Just thought I would update this thread after several hundred miles with the mod. So far it has been doing a good job.

I don't have alot of oil built up but interesting enough I have water.

I think what has been happening is with the temps and condensation and maybe some moisture in the oil even the ccv has been captureing it as well.

So while I have some oil in the filter and the filter is mildly dirty on the inside I had about 2-3 tsp of pure water in the bottom of the catch area.

Just think of the amount of water that has goes thru the cac. Now it will be less.

What prompted this was some oil leakage out of the boots, now I wonder if it was also some water helping it along.

I should have gotten a pic I know but I just did not think about it till after I dumped it on the ground.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:17 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Just thought I would update this thread after several hundred miles with the mod. So far it has been doing a good job.

I don't have alot of oil built up but interesting enough I have water.

I think what has been happening is with the temps and condensation and maybe some moisture in the oil even the ccv has been captureing it as well.

So while I have some oil in the filter and the filter is mildly dirty on the inside I had about 2-3 tsp of pure water in the bottom of the catch area.

Just think of the amount of water that has goes thru the cac. Now it will be less.

What prompted this was some oil leakage out of the boots, now I wonder if it was also some water helping it along.

I should have gotten a pic I know but I just did not think about it till after I dumped it on the ground.
Wow. Very interesting. I wouldn't have ever thought you'd be getting condensate in the CC.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by RM2738 View Post
Wow. Very interesting. I wouldn't have ever thought you'd be getting condensate in the CC.
Temps have been down in the 20's to 40's. We have had snow three times since I put it on.

I have driven well over 100 miles in 4x4 alone.

I know there are no leaks since the inside was totally clean whereas the outside is looking pretty dirty now with all the road grime due to snow and slush.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
fordsd350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So, all the discussions about the CCV mod got my curiosity up, so last weekend I ran an external vent.

The question I have, is there any real concern with the extra line running out of the engine bay and the condensation freezing in the line? I live in Minnesota, so it tends to cool off pretty good.

If this is a realistic concern, would there be any parameter that would worn of this before it becomes a major issue?

If this is a concern, I would think it would be a concern for either an external vent or a filtered, extended return line.

Thoughts?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM
senix
I have had some condensation build up in the bottom of the filter. I has not presented any concerns since it is heavier than air.

I have occasionally checked it and then drained it. twice since doing this.

As far as the line itself freezing due to the length of line to the filter I doubt that would ever happen.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 AM
fordtruggy
Senior User
fordtruggy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are any of you venting to atmosphere after running through the filter, instead of running back to the intake?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
fordtruggy
Senior User
fordtruggy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ive also noticed that according to Racor, The CCV4500 is only rated for a max of 400HP. I wonder if a guy wouldnt want to use the CCV6000 Wich is rated for 800HP instead? Any thoughts on this?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
senix
Originally Posted by fordtruggy View Post
Ive also noticed that according to Racor, The CCV4500 is only rated for a max of 400HP. I wonder if a guy wouldnt want to use the CCV6000 Wich is rated for 800HP instead? Any thoughts on this?
It certainly would be a consideration. I don't pull 400HP so the 4500 is fine for me.

I am only running about 370 hp.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Elder User
BROWN DOG KTM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BROWN DOG KTM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not Hi-Jacking your thread at all Senix, but
Does the Racor filter do the same thing as Powerstroke Connections setup ?
Pic borrowed from ronin

Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM
senix
Id have to read up on his to be sure but I am thinking they are much different judging by the pictures.

the racor has an indicator or you can have a remote indicator..and it is easy to remove and check or replace the filter for one.

Other differences I don't know just now.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 AM
golfmedik
Post Fiend
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Scott,
Just to make sure I am following your install here, you installed a Racor that is a CLOSED system as it runs back into the intake? If so, I understand, I don't want mine vented to the atmosphere either, but was just wondering as I saw the intake had a hose coming back to it. Most that vent to the atmosphere just plug it off the intake port.. I am trying to get the Flo-Pro cold side pipe in sometime soon, and was thinking of doing this CCV mod.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 AM
senix
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Scott,
Just to make sure I am following your install here, you installed a Racor that is a CLOSED system as it runs back into the intake? If so, I understand, I don't want mine vented to the atmosphere either, but was just wondering as I saw the intake had a hose coming back to it. Most that vent to the atmosphere just plug it off the intake port.. I am trying to get the Flo-Pro cold side pipe in sometime soon, and was thinking of doing this CCV mod.
YES, I have the hose coming off the fill canister going down by the air box to the passenger rail under the door. There it connects to the cannister which is then re-routed back up to the intake.

I did this as I was beginning to notice the oily residue around the cac hoses from the buildup.

Unfortunatly I still had to replace one of them because I waited too long.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
TIRE FRYER
Senior User
TIRE FRYER is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brown Dog Ktm. I just removed the same ccv system you have pictured there. The mesh screen inside came apart and hopefully none of it went into the engine. Pull that polished piece off the top and take a look at yours. I cant seem to find that company online anymore.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Elder User
BROWN DOG KTM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BROWN DOG KTM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
TF,
That don't sound good

I have some contact info as I purchased my Custom Made Alum Intake Elbow from them, if u wanna PM me.

I don't have that system as I borrowed that pic from ronin

I'm still Stock

Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 PM
TIRE FRYER
Senior User
TIRE FRYER is starting off with a positive reputation.
No worries, I have no interest in running their product again. Just warning you guys to check yours as that thing coming apart can ruin an engine if it gets sucked into the intake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CCV Mod

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: