6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Vehicle monitor.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Stroker 6.0 fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vehicle monitor.

I have been reading different threads regarding the various vehicle monitor units out there in hopes of getting better educated. Unfortunately, I think all it has done is confuse me more. Which monitors would you suggest. I have an 05 F-250 6.0. I do not tow very often and when I do it is a two horse trailer.

I want to be able to monitor my volts for my ficm as well as water, oil and transmission temps. I have been looking at the scan guage II which is a good unit but, have also been looking at the Edge Insight unit as well. I'm leaning towards the Edge as it has another nice feature where I can add a back up camera for towing. Any advice or insight here. I just want to be able to monitor the vital things in order to detect any problems before they become a real problem. Thanks

Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 AM
Fal-308-Win
Posting Guru
I use scangauge 2,it supply's all the info I require. But it sounds like you have done your research and understand your need to monitor the motors vitality which in my opinion is the top priority. If a back up camera is a must have for you then an Edge Insight would be a good choice. I find my mirrors alone are all I need to assist me in backing up. One way to make the process easier is to hold the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand and as you are backing up move your hand towards the direction you want the trailered to go.!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Stroker 6.0 fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fal-308-Win
I use scangauge 2,it supply's all the info I require. But it sounds like you have done your research and understand your need to monitor the motors vitality which in my opinion is the top priority. If a back up camera is a must have for you then an Edge Insight would be a good choice. I find my mirrors alone are all I need to assist me in backing up. One way to make the process easier is to hold the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand and as you are backing up move your hand towards the direction you want the trailered to go.!
My wife is the reason for the back up camera which is why I was thinking of the Edge. I love her to death but, she can not back up to a trailer to save her life. lol. I'm actually leaning towards the Scan Guage II. Does this one also monitor oil and engine temp as well as voltage?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes, the Scangauge II will do that and much more.

The list is long. Oh, there are some that you will need to "program" into the unit. They are called xgauges. Do a couple and you can get the hang of them.

Cheapest place to order on-line is from CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling

You must become a member, but heck, that's free. If you scroll down the above link and look on the left side you will find the group buy.

The 6.0 family has pretty much hijacked this tool for diagnostics for our trucks. As you see, it was designed for fuel mileage!!!! (which I don't look at or use)

Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put my insight cts in the other day, so far im happy with it. Big display and easy to use. Its pretty straight foward if you want to spend the extra cash.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,168 Likes on 1,061 Posts
SG II available for $142 at Search results for: 'scan gauge'

Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 AM
Stroker 6.0 fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Yes, the Scangauge II will do that and much more.

The list is long. Oh, there are some that you will need to "program" into the unit. They are called xgauges. Do a couple and you can get the hang of them.

Cheapest place to order on-line is from CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling

You must become a member, but heck, that's free. If you scroll down the above link and look on the left side you will find the group buy.

The 6.0 family has pretty much hijacked this tool for diagnostics for our trucks. As you see, it was designed for fuel mileage!!!! (which I don't look at or use)
I guess the last question I have is...In order to monitor the EGT, Coolant and Oil temps, do I need to have probes installed or will the scan gauge be able to monitor these on its own viz the diagnostic computer port?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Scangauge II does not have the capability to do EGT or fuel pressure. All monitors need add ons to do those 2 items.

Here is a list of some of the things the Scangauge II will read.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10227382

The ones in bold have yet to be worked on a diesel.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Id go with the Edge (in fact i do have an Edge) its very easy to operate & w/a color screen u get a real nice appearance & you can add any monitors u want (ie...EGT, Fuel Pressure) the CS/CTS monitors/programmers are "expandable" so u can add whatever u want. Heck outta the box i believe it monitors everything except EGT & Fuel Pressure (which u need add. Probes for)...Edge is my vote

Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Here, this is how the Scangauge II looks like in use: ($160 and less)

And here is what my Torque APP looks like on a android phone ($35 with the right Blue tooth adapter)

Someone else can post up the Edge Insight and DashBoss APP for iphone and the cost of each with out EGT and fuel pressure add ons. Then, also post up the cost for the add ons for each.

That way you will have a better idea of what is available.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Here, this is how the Scangauge II looks like in use: ($160 and less)

And here is what my Torque APP looks like on a android phone ($35 with the right Blue tooth adapter)

Someone else can post up the Edge Insight and DashBoss APP for iphone and the cost of each with out EGT and fuel pressure add ons. Then, also post up the cost for the add ons for each.

That way you will have a better idea of what is available.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres the insight cts.
my regular set up

different options

I paid 360 for mine, from Thoroughbred Diesel

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Lilpooh
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DashBoss if for any iOS device (iTouch,iPad,iPhone,iPad mini). It's $170 for the OBDII connector, then if you want to add EGT $100, and fuel psi is $30. That's $300 for everything.

It's plug and play, no formula to program in. Lets you data log in graph form and send yourself a CSV file in email. Can monitor 24 parameters with a flick of the screen (12 PID's on digital screen, 12 PID's on dash screen).

DashBoss used with a Ford PowerStroke 6.0 and external sensors

Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM
egregg57
Elder User
I have the older Edge Insight Juice W/Attitude.

Someone pass a napkin...... I just drooled on the previous photos and my Motorola Droid....

Old 12-28-2012, 02:08 AM
Stroker 6.0 fan
Senior User
Ok. I got a scan gauge II today. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in these three xgauage codes for the FICM are and which one should I use.

FICM Vehicle Power (Volts) (Should be 12 Volts, should not drop below 10.25 for more than 60 sec.
FICM Logic Power (Volts) (Should be 12 volts)

FICM Main Power (Volts) (Should be 47-48)

Thanks

Quick Reply: Vehicle monitor.