1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford dodge Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Manofsteel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford dodge Chevy

Here's the dilemma. Wife is getting a gooseneck trailer. 8000 lbs fully loaded / 2000 lbs on the tongue. She will tow 2 days a week and will be my daily driver when she isn't horsing around.

Fully equipped an ecoboost has around 2000 payload. Am I correct in not wanting to max out the payload that often even on short 15 mile journeys?

So it's looking like the f250 or a2500 which has 3000lbs + payload.

Now the only question is to pay $8000 to get an extra 5mpgs with a diesel.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Manofsteel
New User
I should mention I'm looking at crew cabs.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't suggest an ecoboost or diesel. A 6.2 gas truck with 4.30s would probably be your best option

Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I would vote for the F250. Guys talk about power, torque, hp all the time, but having the grunt to pull the trailer is only half the battle. The brakes, suspension and tire ratings come in to play just as much. You will have a much more stable tow feel with the bigger truck, and better brakes to stop it. Just safer all around in my opinion.

Obviously that comes with a sacrifice in mileage, as I believe the 150 gets better mileage? It looks like my real world unladen mileage will be between 14-15 mpg with the 6.2 gas engine. Only on my second tank of gas now, so that is still part prediction. I also drive it like an old man (which I am), and not a hot rod kid that has to burn rubber at every traffic light.

I wouldn't go diesel either, just don't think you'll have the payload needs to warrant it, but to each their own. I went gas for the same reason. My gross weight on my car trailer is 8k, and we'll probably end up with a travel trailer in the 10k range, but will be seasonal vacation travel only, so not worth it to me.

Also, there's parking considerations, if you plan to park it in a garage, will the 250 clear the door? I think my 4x4 sits just shy of 8 ft high. Mine would sit outside either way, at least for now. Still looking to move out of town in the next year or 2, and get a shop big enough to park it inside.

I personally decided years ago not to buy any more half ton trucks. I've only owned 3 in my life, and broke all 3 of them by using them like trucks. One of those I broke repeatedly, and that was the last GM product I ever bought (25 years ago).

Old 12-01-2012, 01:15 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly, the Ecoboost would be just fine for that load. I'd probably go with the Super Duty though. That gives you the option of going with a bigger trailer if needed or wanted. Forget about the 250 and go straight to the 350 though. No point in buying a neutered "heavy duty" pickup.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts
My vote would be for a 250 SD. Not that the ecoboost couldn't, but a heavier truck will tow better.

As far as motor is concerned, from your description I would recommend a gas engine over a diesel engine. There are benifits to both and drawbacks to both. It'll also depend on your budget.

It's kinda like a trophy wife that is high maintanance and a real looker (diesel) vs a thicker girl that cooks and cleans real good (gasser). haha. Both can do the same job.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Manofsteel
New User
I drove the diesel and I was sorry I did. Very smooth and powerful. And I hate getting bad gas mileage. It makes me want not want to use it outside of commuting.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Manofsteel
New User
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
I would vote for the F250. Guys talk about power, torque, hp all the time, but having the grunt to pull the trailer is only half the battle. The brakes, suspension and tire ratings come in to play just as much. You will have a much more stable tow feel with the bigger truck, and better brakes to stop it. Just safer all around in my opinion.

Obviously that comes with a sacrifice in mileage, as I believe the 150 gets better mileage? It looks like my real world unladen mileage will be between 14-15 mpg with the 6.2 gas engine. Only on my second tank of gas now, so that is still part prediction. I also drive it like an old man (which I am), and not a hot rod kid that has to burn rubber at every traffic light.

I wouldn't go diesel either, just don't think you'll have the payload needs to warrant it, but to each their own. I went gas for the same reason. My gross weight on my car trailer is 8k, and we'll probably end up with a travel trailer in the 10k range, but will be seasonal vacation travel only, so not worth it to me.

Also, there's parking considerations, if you plan to park it in a garage, will the 250 clear the door? I think my 4x4 sits just shy of 8 ft high. Mine would sit outside either way, at least for now. Still looking to move out of town in the next year or 2, and get a shop big enough to park it inside.

I personally decided years ago not to buy any more half ton trucks. I've only owned 3 in my life, and broke all 3 of them by using them like trucks. One of those I broke repeatedly, and that was the last GM product I ever bought (25 years ago).
You drove the diesel? What made you decide to go gas?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
A couple of reasons, first my application isn't really that heavy duty, kind of like yours, an 8k trailer is the most I will currently deal with. My travel trailer wants will put that weight in at a max of 10k give or take a k. Most of the ground up here is pretty flat or low rolling hills. I won't be pulling that many grades anyway. Also, it's cold up here in winter. I just don't need the diesel bad enough to deal with the higher maint of a diesel, let alone a diesel in -40 degree weather.

I have a buddy with a new 6.7 truck, and it sure is nice, pulls like a freight train (he bought the 350 crew cab) but he's a rancher and needs to pull 15-20k loads on a regular basis. I'm not, and I don't. Plus the idea of also having to add urea to his truck to keep it running just completely turns me off too. I'm constantly asking him if he needs me to top him off when I have to take a leak. I would have the nagging worry in the back of my mind that I'd run out in the middle of nowhere on some vacation and have to pee in the tank to make it down the road...

Old 12-01-2012, 05:48 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
f250 crew cab 6.2 gas and 4:30s you will be very happy.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Just be mindful with your selection of an F250, mine only has a payload of 2275 as it has a GVWR of 9600 not the 10k some of them have. It is a loaded Lariat FX4.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Manofsteel
I drove the diesel and I was sorry I did. Very smooth and powerful. And I hate getting bad gas mileage. It makes me want not want to use it outside of commuting.
The diesel definately gets better mileage than gas. Have you drove a comparable year gasser? Gearing makes a huge difference. To the point where some guys will do a gear swap at $2k+. Diesels are all the rage these days and understandebly so. There's a price to pay for that power/torque. Look over htese videos and see if it helps.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-videos.html

Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
On that day these trucks performed awesome. 16k trailer and 4 full grown men in the cab and all the trucks pulled the load gladly up the hill. All within a couple MPH. I think I used 3 gallons of gas getting it done though.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Manofsteel
New User
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
The diesel definately gets better mileage than gas. Have you drove a comparable year gasser? Gearing makes a huge difference. To the point where some guys will do a gear swap at $2k+. Diesels are all the rage these days and understandebly so. There's a price to pay for that power/torque. Look over htese videos and see if it helps.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-videos.html
Just got done test driving 2012 gas 3.73 and then the diesel immediately after. Love the diesel. Thanks for the vids

Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Manofsteel
New User
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
Just be mindful with your selection of an F250, mine only has a payload of 2275 as it has a GVWR of 9600 not the 10k some of them have. It is a loaded Lariat FX4.
I'm on the ford website and I'm trying trying to build a lariat that has a payload as low as ours and I ant get lower than 2600+

Quick Reply: Ford dodge Chevy