1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

You tell me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm kinda spoiled in a way having DC and NPD local. I go pick up what I need. But the downside is I don't consider some of the other suppliers because I would incur shipping charges and have heard the ripoff stories. I probably should do a better job on my homework because even driving 30 miles across town isn't free.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shipping charges generally include handling fees. Go to Shipping, Freight, Logistics and Supply Chain Management from UPS and you can get a price quote for what the actual shipping charge will be. Bear in mind that large volume shippers get a discount so they may actually be paying less.

Gembone is spot on with his comment, many retailers pad the 'handling' charge to make up a discount. Such as those commercials on TV with the "...but wait, that's not all...we'll send you another gizmo free if you order now" followed by quickly whispered "just pay separate handling and shipping".

Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,113 Likes on 820 Posts
Another thing to consider when buying something that has to be shipped, have it delivered to a business if possible. UPS and FedEx have dedicated routes into business parks and other business dense areas. They're making numerous deliveries there, unlike home deliveries where they have to send a guy 5 miles to the north, have him drive through a sub-division to deliver one small package then drive two miles to the next one and so on. My UPS driver only makes pick ups and deliveries on my half of the industrial park. There is a different driver for the other side. I have everything shipped to my shop, cheaper than shipping to my home.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Another thing to consider when buying something that has to be shipped, have it delivered to a business if possible. UPS and FedEx have dedicated routes into business parks and other business dense areas. They're making numerous deliveries there, unlike home deliveries where they have to send a guy 5 miles to the north, have him drive through a sub-division to deliver one small package then drive two miles to the next one and so on. My UPS driver only makes pick ups and deliveries on my half of the industrial park. There is a different driver for the other side. I have everything shipped to my shop, cheaper than shipping to my home.
UPS has a surcharge for a home delivery, regardless of where the house is, versus a business delivery. So it is always cheaper to have your package delivered to a business address.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
On somewhat of a lark, I took the main section out to the garage to see how much of a PITA it would be to install. The instructions (yes, I read them!) say to hook the front over the header, and push it up til the rear is on top of the rubber window seal. I couldn't believe it, but in 2 minutes it was in place! Fit is superb, whatever other problems they may have, Dennis Carpenter makes a nice headliner!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,911 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Ross,

That can't be right. You need to go back out there and take it out, drop it on the floor, accidentally step on it with a greasy boot, pick it up, try to reinstall it backward, get frustrated and tear it, AND THEN reinstall it correctly.
Thats how it supposed to be done.

I was just looking at Dennis Carpenter at the cab seal kit. $100 for front and back glass and a pair of door seals. It sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Bobby

Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
On somewhat of a lark, I took the main section out to the garage to see how much of a PITA it would be to install. The instructions (yes, I read them!) say to hook the front over the header, and push it up til the rear is on top of the rubber window seal. I couldn't believe it, but in 2 minutes it was in place! Fit is superb, whatever other problems they may have, Dennis Carpenter makes a nice headliner!
This is great to know. I will be installing one of these "someday" and have been leery of the idea since I read all the horror stories here.

Thanks again for the hospitality and the fun ride around town yesterday Ross. It was great to finally meet you. I wish Bobby could have been in town when I wasn't working. Maybe next trip.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Just to be clear, this is for the original type cardboard style headliner? I think this is where we usually say 'pics, or it didn't happen.'

Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't want to jinx you Ross but yeah it was easy to install. I did it alone. It stayed in place just like you said. The only issue I had was that I have put reflectect (similar to dynamat) on the roof and I had to trim the headliner on both sides over the doors because the fit is quite exact on the headliner portion. They don't give enough screws so I recommend buying an extra package at lowes. The holes probably will not line up where you need to put the screws, so a drill and an 1/8 drill bit should be near by. Trimming around the rear window takes the most amount of time. I made a pattern with construction paper by tracing out the rear window them cut them out on the bench.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm.. I wonder how it'll fit into the Panel truck???

Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Hmmm.. I wonder how it'll fit into the Panel truck???
The instructions do say you need to trim for the larger back window in the 51-2, so you may simply need to trim a little extra. You may need to splurge for two headliners, just to be sure.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
The instructions do say you need to trim for the larger back window in the 51-2, so you may simply need to trim a little extra. You may need to splurge for two headliners, just to be sure.
The two pieces you have to trim are separate pieces and they are flat so it is relative easy in that respect. You have trim them out and then bend them into the corners so to speak. they can be bought separately if you screw up.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Just to be clear, this is for the original type cardboard style headliner? I think this is where we usually say 'pics, or it didn't happen.'
Yes, cardboard, not ABS. It's just in there temporarily, so no pics yet. With it in place I realized immediately that my header is scratched up, and now I'm thinkiing about cutting in a dome light...

Originally Posted by Carolina 52
Didn't want to jinx you Ross but yeah it was easy to install. I did it alone. It stayed in place just like you said. The only issue I had was that I have put reflectect (similar to dynamat) on the roof and I had to trim the headliner on both sides over the doors because the fit is quite exact on the headliner portion. They don't give enough screws so I recommend buying an extra package at lowes. The holes probably will not line up where you need to put the screws, so a drill and an 1/8 drill bit should be near by. Trimming around the rear window takes the most amount of time. I made a pattern with construction paper by tracing out the rear window them cut them out on the bench.
I'm not going to use their screws and finishing washers, they are not appropriately sized and look cheap, IMO. I have some I bought at the hardware store that have an integral washer and are a more appropriate diameter. The instructions say there are 4 holes per side, but there are only 3 punched and they don't align with the originals -- no big deal.

It really pisses me off that they can't shift the two pieces around the rear window a couple inches over in their die-cutting machine and make a factory cut for the 51-52's. I fully expect there will be a slip of the knife doing that.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 469 Likes on 305 Posts
Ross,
My buddy from Rio Rancho is coming to San Diego for his annual visit. If you want anything from C&G let me know, he can bring it back with him free of charge. There is another guy in the club who is driving over to Midfifty this week (may have already left) but if I can get a hold of him he will bring back anything you want and my NM buddy can bring it up with him. Two options with $0 freight....Christmas has come early!
Chuck

Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Thanks Chuck, Nothing I can think of that I need! My truck is "done", LOL!

Quick Reply: You tell me...