1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

truckstock i'm coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:58 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would love to do a regional 'TRUCK STOP" and we can probably do that, But I still want to do an ORIGINAL TRUCK STOP in Kentucky some day at Doc's place.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
J D, just noticed where you live, mom-in-law lives in Edinburg so I might try to look you up sometime when we visit family up there, Garry AKA HOMADE.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
Truckstock is something I would definitely want to do next year. For my part, Doc's place is well situated, and quite easily driven to. Was interested in it this year, but have not been a member of the forum for very long (no one knows me very well yet), and the old F-2 just was not ready in time.

As it stands now, the truck is pretty well up to a long drive. There are still numerous items I wish to address before taking such a trip, but none that require major downtime and work. Kingpins in front need replaced, but are certainly not worn out, the radiator has sprung a leak, but will be taken out in the next week or so to be dipped and soldered. Front and rear glass needs replaced, and the window regulators are jammed, and require some work so I can roll the windows up and down without problems.

The big expense at the moment, is getting a new rim to replace the rusted one I now have as a spare, and replacing the Cooper SRM radials it wears now. Put the SRM's on the truck 22 years ago, and while they show plenty of tread, they are begininng to crack on the side walls. Just don't trust them. Replacement cost for new Coopers: $780 not including tubes. OUCH!
Columbus, IN is about a five hour drive for me in a modern car on the Mountain Parkway-->I-64-->I-65 route.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Doc
As far as the food headache, if you were to do it again,I think everyone that says they are coming should be required to pay up front. If that was done well in advance, if you decided to cater again, then you wouldn't be stuck paying for the ones that said "I will be there" and didn't show up.
IF you do it again, anyone should be willing to pay you 30 days in advance, at a minimum. If I say I am coming and pay you and for what ever reason I am unable to make it, I should eat that cost, not you.
Those of us that attended really felt bad you spent so much time and money and had to eat some of the cost due to no shows.
To say the least that was very inconsiderate of them.
Larry

Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by larryb346
Doc
As far as the food headache, if you were to do it again,I think everyone that says they are coming should be required to pay up front. If that was done well in advance, if you decided to cater again, then you wouldn't be stuck paying for the ones that said "I will be there" and didn't show up.
IF you do it again, anyone should be willing to pay you 30 days in advance, at a minimum. If I say I am coming and pay you and for what ever reason I am unable to make it, I should eat that cost, not you.
Those of us that attended really felt bad you spent so much time and money and had to eat some of the cost due to no shows.
To say the least that was very inconsiderate of them.
Larry
It was a lesson learned. A lot of guys had very good reasons to not come and gave me plenty of notice. For instance, poor Harleymsn ended up having to have surgery about a month prior and was in no shape to come. He was really upset about that, and I felt sorry for him. I hope he can attend the next one wherever that may be. We'll just do it differently next time. As far as the advance deposit, we can either do it that way or just set it up so that each person can fend for themselves with available grills, etc. when they get here. In my opinion, the hamburgers and hotdogs that we served on Friday evening along with the "unofficial" Saturday morning breakfast was a lot better than the other.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I'd be interested to hear what people think about these options:
1) hotel/cabins only
2) RV park type setting, full hookups, showers/toilets, limited cabins/yorts available, or nearby motels
3) tent/RV situation -- no facilities/hookups except toilets/latrines, possibly water at central location

There have been mentions of camping etc here and there on the forum, but we've never had an actual thread on it, so I'm curious if "roughing it" is a deal-breaker for a bunch of folks.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
As far as the advance deposit, we can either do it that way or just set it up so that each person can fend for themselves with available grills, etc. when they get here. In my opinion, the hamburgers and hotdogs that we served on Friday evening along with the "unofficial" Saturday morning breakfast was a lot better than the other.[/quote]

I agree that the fend for themselves worked great. The low keyed Friday and Saturday were great. If you wanted to go that way everyone could kick in 20 bucks or so and take that burden off of you or whoever the host might be.
Ross
I am ok with camping. As you saw at Doc's we are able to park about anywhere. Water and electric is nice but not necessary for us. I would guess most of the guys would be limited to tents so camping in a "improved" area might work best for most people. If most people would like motels then we would camp in the area if we didn't drive the 55.
Larry

Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
My wife and I were planning on tenting for Doc's event,it was in the back of the F-2. It was a way to offset the cost of gas and hotels on the way down and back. We've camped with a group once at a campground, it was a lot of fun. We had a mix of RVs and tents all in one big common camp site.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Doraville
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We love to camp; it's one of our favorite things to do. If we wind-up in a place that could accommodate it, I would probably choose to tow my 5th wheel camper next time and let my wife follow behind in the F1.

Alternately, if I were to stumble upon a good deal on a Teardrop camper between now and then I could tow it with the F1 and avoid bringing the big rig. I probably wouldn't choose to rent a pop-up camper again as that didn't work out too well.

Even if we had to camp in a tent we would probably choose that over a Hotel because all the folks who stayed at the hotel last time missed out on Spongebob.

-DV

Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Sleeping in the back of the panel worked for me,and low key food also works.This is about having fun not working your *** off. Then there was the spongebobs,not sure if I am glade I didn't miss them .

Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Personally, I think there is a measure of safety to Options 1 & 2, because it eliminates the potential for a bust due to weather. Tent camping in a downpour sucks, IMO. I'd love to rough it in the woods on a nice sunny weekend, but pouring rain -- not so much. We lucked out this year, weather was fantastic.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Yeah no kidding. The weekend prior was absolutely horrible. It was almost like Transylvania weather, and a monsoon set in on the Monday after Truckstock. But by that next weekend, the weather was nice again. I had sort of a contingency plan in case it rained, but we did indeed get lucky. The weather in September around here is, believe it or not, somewhat predictable. The hurricanes that blow inland are usually the things that bring rain. Otherwise, the first weeks of September are usually an ideal time. I was able to see very early in the week that we would be fine. The only problem with September obviously is the school situation for those with children. The other option is the spring or summer, and then you really have to worry about fluctuating weather, unexpected very severe late afternoon thunderstorms, etc.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by homade
J D, just noticed where you live, mom-in-law lives in Edinburg so I might try to look you up sometime when we visit family up there, Garry AKA HOMADE.
You are more than welcome Garry! I live about 4 miles due east of the Interstate, and Edingurgh is just about 8 or 10 miles north through county roads.

Let me know when you go through next, and we'll get together.

J.D.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I am just plain selfish but I will beg Doc to reconcider and do it one more time, I loved it there and if it rains we could camp out in the garage and machinery sheds till it blows over.I know I'm selfish but I personnely had the best time of my life. I will gladly send 100.00 dollars right now with no refund wanted if I can't make it for some reason.I know Boo-Hoo on me but thats the way I feel, even with the Sponge Bob remarks, I'll look forward to them next year, Garry Thats my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by homade
I guess I am just plain selfish but I will beg Doc to reconcider and do it one more time, I loved it there and if it rains we could camp out in the garage and machinery sheds till it blows over.I know I'm selfish but I personnely had the best time of my life. I will gladly send 100.00 dollars right now with no refund wanted if I can't make it for some reason.I know Boo-Hoo on me but thats the way I feel, even with the Sponge Bob remarks, I'll look forward to them next year, Garry Thats my 2 cents worth.
Garry, there's nothing really for me to reconsider. The offer still stands for me to have it again if everybody wants. I'm just sitting back and giving somebody or anybody else a chance to host if they want, and they're looking into the possibility of doing it at another location, such as a state park, campground, etc. Either way is good with me.

Quick Reply: truckstock i'm coming