6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

help translate this oasis report.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by redz284u
k yall gonna laugh or kick my a$$ if you ever meet me.....dealer guy said since he is a RAM dealer, his mechinics didnt know what to look for. so he drove to FORD mechanic there took this pic and had sent to me

That is the all mighty DPF!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
well, there we go, another mystery solved by the FTE 6.4L forum. Another happy customer, I hope.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but if it was built prior to the law going into effect, emission compliant would mean no DPF???? sales manager said he was driving it to ford to get clarification and the light on dash came on "CLEANING FILTER".......WTH
It's a FEDERAL law that states all 2008 YEAR MODEL trucks must meet certain clean air requirements. It wasn't a matter of when it went into effect. It's the fact that 2008 and later models must have these advanced emissions components.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I certainly would not allow them to work on this rig...they will learn what a dpf is for model year 2013

Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 PM
MexicanScaper987
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ram trucks have had the DPF since the 6.7 came out. They haven't needed the DEF urea till 2013. Something is very shady with that Ram dealer and I would run, not walk, Run away! FWIW, Whats the mileage on the truck and the dealers asking price??

Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM
redz284u
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank u so much guys. Certainly helped out tons. I will be picking it up tomorrow. Truck was not serviced there. Was just traded in and I'm picking it up. I hope it's good to me. Anybody know where's a good place to buy extended warranty? I hear there's a diesel care 200,000 mile extended warranty available.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Google "Ford ESP" and get quotes from the first few dealers listed. Work them against each other and you'll get a good price.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RM2738
It's a FEDERAL law that states all 2008 YEAR MODEL trucks must meet certain clean air requirements. It wasn't a matter of when it went into effect. It's the fact that 2008 and later models must have these advanced emissions components.
Yes it is. I went back and because I have a lot of spare time, found and read (scanned) a lot of the EPA's final rule. What a bunch of BS they used to justify this attack on soot. lots of words with very little meaning. However, they addressed each iteration with the term "Model Year", or actually they used "MY". However, there were a lot of opportunities for waivers and the manufacurers were given a lot of latitude. For the first three years of the rule 07-09 they could have complied on only 50% of the trucks. Don't know how they would do that but they had that option. The rule wasn't fully implemented until the 2010 model year when they had to comply with 100%. So they could have and may have opted not to equip some of the bigger trucks in 2008 MY. But for sure the F450 was included.

Oh yeah, California implemented their own rule eariler than the EPA rule. Don't know how they could do that since the equipment wasn't on the market yet and I didn't want to know bad enough to read that novel but I did find their request for a waiver that allowed them to go ahead, New York also.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM
redz284u
Tuned
Since everything worked out on the smog egr and dpf i took the dive and went to pick it up.

here she is.....what a beauty....

drove her 697 miles home and got her washed after the rain on the way. now if i can only convince the family its a good idea to go camping in december, we could hitch the 5ther and test her with it. im sure im not gonna be disappointed..

Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Since everything worked out on the smog egr and dpf i took the dive and went to pick it up.

here she is.....what a beauty....

drove her 697 miles home and got her washed after the rain on the way. now if i can only convince the family its a good idea to go camping in december, we could hitch the 5ther and test her with it. im sure im not gonna be disappointed..
Congrats! Good looking truck.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Congratulations be sure to check all fluids in the morning

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You got the truck, now here are all the gory details for keeping it as problem free as possible. If you can't confirm that a service item was done at the proper time, do it now:

The 6.4 does not typically "self destruct", in many cases it is aided in destructing by operator who do not understand the requirements of the new emissions controlled diesels and use them for the wrong type of service, neglect maintenance, etc. Properly operated and maintained the 6.4 and other emissions controlled diesels do just fine.

Now if you are looking at a used one, you have to be concerned about it's useage and maintenance prior to your purchase. Unlike pre-emissions diesels the post-emissions diesels can go bad very quickly if they are neglected or are used for all short trips.

The problem with assessing a used post-emissions diesel is that much of what you want to inspect is not readily visible. On the 6.4 you would ideally want to inspect the following:

- Lower HFCM fuel filter and housing for signs of gunk buildup, and to ensure the filters have been changed.

- Upper fuel filter, looking in the bottom of the housing for signs of rust spots or metal flakes both of which can mean expensive fuel system repairs.

- The water pump back housing for signs of cavitation damage.

- Coolant nitrite test to see if the coolant has been maintained properly.

- Used oil analysis on a sample with ~5k miles on it.

- Check for signs of leaks at the radiator hose connections and the radiator itself.

Since a used vehicle at a dealer has probably recieved a basic service with new oil and filters, some of the information you want will not be available at all.

Clearly the water pump housing can not be inspected in any reasonable fashion. The lower HFCM filter and housing can't be inspected without draining a quart plus of fuel and making a mess so it's not easily inspected.

The upper fuel filter can be inspected fairly easily with a flashlight, wrench and a container to rest the filter in when removed. This is one inspection you should absolutely do since a high pressure fuel pump and injectors is a good $8k repair.

The coolant nitrite test is another quick and easy test you can do, clip a test strip on the end of a long hemostat and just dunk it in the coolant degas tank, wait the 45 seconds and compare the color chart. Most dealers probably won't change the coolant on a used truck so it your nitrite test shows under 300ppm nitrite, reject the truck for neglected maintenance.

My standard maintenance recommendations for the 6.4:

If you have not owned one of the newer emissions controlled diesels previously (any brand), be aware that they are far more dependent on proper maintenance than earlier diesels.

Key 6.4 maintenance items:

* Oil changes every 5,000 miles, with quality oil (synthetic recommended), used oil analysis (Blackstone) for every change. Use only Motorcraft oil filters or the Racor (OEM) equivalent.

* Fuel filter changes every 10,000 miles. Use only Motorcraft FD4617 or the Racor (OEM) equivalent filters.

* Coolant nitrite testing at least every 15,000 miles. I recommend every 5,000 miles at the same time you do the oil change for simplicity, the test strips are inexpensive. Do not be confused by the test directions warning not to sample from an overflow tank, the 6.4 does not have an overflow tank it has a degas bottle. The degas bottle is part of the coolant loop with constant circulation so it is a valid testing point. I do not bother "taking a sample", I simply clip the test strip on the end of a long hemostat and dunk it in the degas bottle to test. If the test is below 800ppm and above 300ppm add two bottles of VC-8 additive. If below 300ppm the entire coolant system must be flushed with VC-9 cleaner, rinsed well and refilled with new coolant.

* Cooling system flush with VC-9 and refill with Ford Gold coolant every 60,000 miles, sooner if you have neglected testing and the nitrite is under 300ppm.

* Use a quality fuel conditioner such as the Ford PM-22a/23a conditioners at every fueling. They add lubricity to the fuel, something that ULSD is lacking in which helps protect the high pressure (up to 26,000 PSI) fuel pump. They also help to reduce soot production which results in less frequent DPF regens and less fuel dilution in the engine oil.

* Drain the HFCM water separator monthly. The fuel drained can be poured back into the tank carefully leaving behind any water at the bottom of the collection jar (normally very little). If the water separator drain does not flow well or at all, it may be clogged with either parafin blobs or with bacterial growth. In either case at a minimum the drain valve cover needs to be removed and the clog cleared. If the clog is significant the HFCM cover needs to be removed for full cleaning. If the clog is white and waxy it's parafin and not a significant issue. If the clog is brown or similar and more slimy it is bacterial growth and the fuel tank should be "shocked" with a biocide such as Power Service Bio-Kleen which should not be confused with their Diesel-Kleen.

* The truck should not be used for all short trips and stop and go traffic. The 6.4 and other emissions controlled diesels need regular longer periods at highway speeds to allow proper DPF regeneration and to get to proper operating temperature to help reduce fuel contamination in the engine oil.

* The latest PCM flash (11B23) does not provide continuous indication of when a DPF regen is taking place, it does however add much improved engine monitoring for developing issues. Over time you will get to recognize the subtle changes, but I recommend adding something like the ScanGauge II which will allow you to monitor the DPF temperature which is a clear indication that a regen is in progress when over ~600F.

* Avoid shutting the truck down with a regen in progress. If you have to, run the engine at high idle for a few minutes in park before shutting down to allow the turbos to cool down to normal temperatures before shutdown. If you are interrupting the regens you will see it in your Blackstone report, otherwise you should see very little fuel dilution, <1%.

You should also absolutely get the Ford ESP extended warranty, any repairs to the 6.4 are expensive and a single big repair can easily cover the cost of the ESP warranty. The coolant nitrite testing that many people overlook *is* in the owner's manual diesel supplement, so if you neglect it Ford can deny warranty coverage for resulting damage.

Other Super Duty maintenance items:

* Batteries - The batteries in these trucks are not the maintanence free / unmaintainable type, pop the caps to check and top up with distilled water periodically.

* Change transfer case fluid every 60,000 miles.

* Change rear differential fluid every 50,000 miles on DANA axles (F350 DRW and up).

* Change transmission fluid and filter every 60,000 miles on Torqshift transmissions (100k on manual transmissions). If you have the early Torqshift with the external filter the interval is much shorter.

Resources:

Coolant test strips - Buy the 4pk, not the bottle of 50, the strips have expiration dates and you'll only need <10 per year. Most dealer parts counters should have the test strips, NAPA has them, or order direct from Acustrip.
http://acustrip.com/CTS-3_Retail_Order_Form.pdf

Used oil testing - Blackstone Labs, get the pre-paid 6pk of test kits to save a few bucks. You don't need the TBN option:
Order Now

Ford ESP extended warrantys - You can buy them online from real dealers, or use the online price from a real dealer to negotiate a better price from your local dealer. You absolutely want the ESP, while the 6.4 is not problematic as some claim as long as you maintain it properly, nearly any repair is big $ and one good one will cover the ESP cost:
Ford Extended Warranty - Genuine Ford ESP

DPF, oil, coolant temp monitoring - ScangaugeII, you will need to program the X-gauge commands for the 6.4:
ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools
Ford Specific XGauges : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Very nice, as I recall it was a very low mileage truck. Hope your 5er is heavy, anything under 16-17,000 lbs you won't even know it's back there. Since you're in CA I guess modding is out so keep up with the maintainence. I'm sure you have figured it out by now but the notice "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" only stays on for a couple of seconds. If it does anything else routinely you need to see a dealer and get the latest flash, 11b23 I think it was called. the problem with the short cleaning notice is that it is often missed and the truck gets shut off and interupts the cleaning. If that happens a few times in a row you may get a "DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST" message. You probably ought to do that if you get the message. Also, after I got the 11b23 it seemed that if I cut off a couple cleanings I would have one when "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" would stay on for the duration of the cleaning. I never did figure out if that was part of the program or just a computer glitch with my truck. If you suspect you are cleaning and want to know for sure you can hit the middle button in the message center, then the top button. The message center will scan through 5 or 6 items and tha last one will be "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" if it is cleaning. I found it useful to have a tuner even when I still had the DPF on and working because it would alarm when the exhaust was cleaning and I could alter my trip accordingly to let it finish. Also, if it starts at a bad time like in heavy traffic you can abort the cleaning by putting the truck in park. The next time you start the truck it will begin cleaning soon after. A tuner or scan guage or some gages also are helpful to monitor some temps that are very important and provide early warning of problems. Hope this helps you and if you already knew all this I'm sorry to duplicate.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM
redz284u
Tuned
yup, made apt. to go see the ford dr. on friday. it has 52k miles but im gonna throw it in there for all the 60k mile stuff. also gonna get the extended warranty. i cannot confirm what kind of service it had done, but judging by the fact that the RAM dealership i purchased it from couldnt tell me if it had a DPF or not, im gonna go with a poor service if any. better safe than sorry. will send oil for a reading and post to see where im at. other than that, everything looks good.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I think the better half wants me to paint mine the color of yours..enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: help translate this oasis report.....