Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Nitto Terra Grappler on Super Duty Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM
wedge88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto Terra Grappler on Super Duty Review

I recently put a set of Nitto Terra Grappler 325/60/20 tires on my 2006 Ford F250 4WD Diesel. These fit on my stock OEM wheels perfectly and while there was minimal rubbing at full wheel lock, I decided to pair my new tires with a 2.5" level kit up front and 4" blocks in the rear. No more rubbing.

When shopping for tires I was glued to the forums about which were the best and trying to find reasons why. I know each person has their own personal preference but I wanted a tire that would last 40K miles minimum, quiet on the road, good wet and dry traction and enhance the look of my truck. I previously had 3-4 sets of BFG ATs on each of my vehicles and while they held up good, they were noisy on the road and didn't perform well in snow and ice. They were great off road but for the price I wanted something that would do it all.

I just got back from a week long hunting trip to Northern MO where I put over 1000 miles on the truck/new tires. I cannot get over how quiet the Terra Grapplers are going down the highway at 70mph. I was averaging the same MPG as I was getting with BFG 285/65/20s and this tire is an inch taller and almost 2" wider. Our hunting lease is in the back country and requires driving miles of dirt/mud roads and one evening we got 3" of rain so the roads were a mess. The tires handled great and I never had to throw the switch to 4x4.

I know I haven't had these long but so far I am impressed and wanted to post some initial reviews to possibly help another person looking to get new rubber under their truck. I will continue to post every couple months of my findings and real world reviews.

I have attached a couple picks of the truck with tires/lift.

Name:  IMG_0102.jpg
Views: 2572
Size:  83.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 5768
Size:  152.8 KB

Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM
3800rs
Junior User
Nice stuff. Might get those soon to replace my 57k bfg s

Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM
wedge88
Senior User
You won't regret it. I have now had these in the mud and snow and I am converted. I thought I loved the BFG KO's.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM
3800rs
Junior User
Any road noise? Who has good prices on these?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM
wedge88
Senior User
Very little road noise for a 35" all terrain tire. I am coming from BFG ATs and I never realized how noisy they were until I put on the Nitto's. My hunting buddies dad rides up North with us during deer season and he always complained about the road noise before. This year he said he couldn't believe how quiet the Nitto tires are.

I have had good luck with tires from National Tire and Battery (NTB). I don't know if you one near you but they are tied in with Tire Merchant (Discount Tires Online) as well. Good Luck.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 PM
dallyack
New User
I had a set of those, 325/60R18, on my 2009 F150 XLT 4x4 and absolutely loved them. I'll buy them again!!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 AM
wedge88
Senior User
To update this post - I now have 5000 miles on my Nitto Terra Grapplers with little wear. Had them rotated and put them through a few snow storms. One storm was about 6" of snow and I noticed the truck was having issues getting up hills and I was in 4wd. I got out and manually locked the hubs and no more issues. After review, my vacuum hose was rotted at the hubs so replaced the hose and now ESOF works.

The point of this is that with my other BFG tires, I wouldn't have gone anywhere on the back roads that we live without 4wd and while it tested the Nitto's, they still made it. We got 12" last weekend and I wanted to make sure my 4wd was working so I went out and drove about 15 miles of winding back roads with no issues. Love these tires.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im looking into the 325/60r20 size tire and curious how bad was the rub before the lift. could you have left it or was it pretty bad?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My f350 had stock sized (18in) Nitto Terra Grapplers on it when I bought it and we're at 50% tread wear. They were great on pavement then we got 3-4 in of snow.... I have never been stuck in 4 in of snow before even with the mustang but a 4x4 super duty multiple times and I have driven in deep snow with almost bald AT's and MT's with my other trucks. I hope it was a tire size or age thing for me as I have heard good things about these tires, I don't know how they do in mud as the tires I had were so bad (scary) in snow I called my tire guy and spent a grand on tiers that was not planed on.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 AM
karlduke
Senior User
I had Terra Grapplers on my Wrangler and had no complaints. Aggressive enough to conquer rough terrains and quiet on pavement.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 AM
wedge88
Senior User
Originally Posted by GHeTTo JOe
im looking into the 325/60r20 size tire and curious how bad was the rub before the lift. could you have left it or was it pretty bad?
I only noticed a rubbing on stock when going reverse up a hill so it wasn't horribly bad but I also only had it stock for a few days. Personally, you spending that much on tires, spend a few hundred extra and get a ReadyLift or similar kit with spacer up front and 4" block in the rear and it will completely change the look of your truck.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:12 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id like to add a lift, a buddy of mine gives me crap about it already looking like the front end is taller than the front. but i dont think it will fit in the garage with larger tires and a lift.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM
wedge88
Senior User
I now have just over 13K miles on these Terra Grapplers and amazed at how little tread I have lost. They are wearing very evenly and have not left me stranded in the many situations I find myself and my truck in. I am not into severe off road or anything but do haul heavy loads on dirt and gravel roads as well as many boat ramps and don't require 4wd like I used to.

I have been noticing that on steep incline loose gravel roads, that the truck tends to fish tail towards the passenger side. I hadn't had this issue before so not sure if it is just due to the roads I am on or lack of weight in the rear but the last trip I was loaded with about 800lbs of gear in the bed (not a lot).

Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 PM
tazaxx
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As I posted on another forum today;

Tires will last if well cared for. Most folks are too busy, or too lazy to check tire pressure frequently, rotate and balance regularly. When I used to drive extreme insane distances for my job, I put 100,000 on a set of Yokohama 60,000 mile car tires. I checked tire pressure 2x weekly, and always kept it at max posted pressure + 1-2 psi over. They still had some life in them, and the only reason I went and changed them is because I figured 100K was more than my money's worth, and they were 40K past warranty!! Hahaha!!!
Note: this is for driving on pavement, not off-road....

Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
wedge88
Senior User
Update - Well now I am just about 20,000 miles on my Terra Grappler tires and after what I call a hell of winter I am still impressed with the tires. Just had them rotated again and they are still wearing very evenly. We were blasted with one of our coldest and most wet winter in a long time. We had a 12" blast of snow and the truck handled it great. The other thing I am impressed with is while all the tires on our other vehicles, wifes van and work truck kept dropping air pressure during the winter, my truck with the Nittos never dropped. This was the first year I noticed it with the other vehicles but kept thinking the truck should drop as well but it didn't.

I don't know if anyone is reading these but I will keep posting as I truly think these are a great truck tire.

Quick Reply: Nitto Terra Grappler on Super Duty Review