1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Man's Second Oldest Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man's Second Oldest Question

Where did I put that?
I have spent the last three days looking for a bag of parts - Several weeks ago I put together new tie rod ends and a new tie rod bar - I just set the ends in the "they go about there" position - I did this in the evening so I left the assembled bar leaning against the wall in the living room - The dust covers, grease fittings, nuts and cotter pins were left in the original bags on the coffee table (I do live alone) - The next day I didn't feel well and then for several days it rained and then blah, blah. At some time shortly after starting the project I decided that I had better put the small parts away or they would get lost - I remember putting them in a ziplock bag and putting them in a place that I WOULD NEVER FORGET - Riiiiggghhhttt !!! - We've got a few days of good weather ahead I started to pull together everything I want to try and get done
The tie rod was still leaning against the wall and the other parts I wanted to put on were found within a few hrs - I went to my stash place to get the covers and stuff and they weren't there - No problem, I went to my backup, they weren't there every place I looked - Nothing - I even went to the Special Place (It's a wicker basket with a piece of paper tacked on that says Special Place) and again zip - I started the intence search, then went to the mad search, then the pi&&ed search, and this morning I was in the frantic search - Nothing, Nada, Zip - whatever - Just after supper I went to a tool box that I use for wood working/destruction stuff - I opened the top and there was the bag with my parts in it.
Man's Second Oldest Question - Where did I put that? Is there any way that I can remember where I put stuff? - Don't say notes - I lose them too
I need help - Well we all know that, I mean help with Man's Second Oldest Question

Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
I hear ya Dick.

There is one sure fired way to find the missing parts. All you have to do is go an buy new parts, as soon as you get home then whammo, like magic, there they, right out in the open.

You are not alone
Bobby

Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Happens to me all the time. The parts usually end up right where I first looked, but I somehow looked right at them and it didn't click. Trust your first instinct!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Happens all of time. I swear I just put it.down and it disappears. Bobby's suggestion works about 90% of the time.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've worked thirty plus years with the same company. I once came across a wrench I know I lost at least 20 years before still setting on a ledge just out of sight. Only reason I found it I went to set another wench in the same spot.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Happens to me too, as a matter of fact. I'm planning the placement of various dash ***** and switches,measuring and making centre lines. I set down the tape measure to go over the the work bench to get a drink of water. I came back to the truck and I'm looking fo my tape measure. Well I look and look and look....nowhere. I sit down on the cab floor and scratch my chin. Takes a couple minutes, and then"what the heck" here I am staring at it and I didn't even know it. Is this what happens when yuh get old?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM
South of BC
Elder User
No, it's been happening to me all my life. For me, most jobs take as much time looking for tools, parts, etc. as it does to complete the task.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It happens to me when I get a phone call while in the shop. Whatever I happen to have in my hands gets put down so I can answer the phone. Of course the first thing I do when the call is over is try to remember what it was that I was doing. When I remember it often takes me quite a while to find what I put down. Sometimes I give up, and later (sometimes much later) it magically appears. I get a lot of phone calls during the day so my days usually consist of answering calls and looking for what I put down. And sometimes some work actually gets done.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Those parts are right next to my shock studs!

Better check in the fridge next to the beer.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I feel your pain. I also suffer from "I don't need something until after I've thrown it away".

Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Ya'll aren't very encouraging - I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I really need some solutions - Pleeeeeeeeeees

Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Dick; I know this won't work for every thing but for the last ten years I've been tying my glasses around my neck, sometimes i'll go for a day or two without loosing them.
Like most, I spend more time searching than working.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
In the last 3 months, I've lost half of a pto shaft and a jack stand. I found the shaft weeks later in a place that only aliens could have placed it there. Still haven't found the jack stand. HOW does a person lose a jack stand!!?? As you can imagine, smaller parts don't stand a chance at my place. You're definitely not alone, Dick.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy solution. Get a cat. Blame the cat. Problem solved.
We have three cats and two dogs. I never misplace anything.
Honest!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Kazoo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doc, your jack stand must have run away with mine.

Last week I had four now I can only locate three

Quick Reply: Man's Second Oldest Question