6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Diesel Kleen - Can you add too much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Ding126
Fleet Mechanic
Received 245 Likes on 166 Posts
Diesel Kleen - Can you add too much?

At times I may run a little more than 1 16oz bottle per fill up (38gal tank )..because when I fill up at 1/2 a tank, I add more when I top off. Is this a problem?? can you add oo much?

Also since I always keep my tank full and use the silver bottle...what if I know I'm goin to the mountains where the temps can be 10-20 degrees at night...could I add a 16oz white botle of DK to prevent fuel jelling or is that too much??

Thank you in advance,
Mike

Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That isn't anywhere near too much and you can add some white to help gelling. I treat our bulk tank and then treat again at fill up probably half the time.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Service actually states on their bottle "For better results, use two times the amount of Diesel Kleen." So you could put up to 30-32 oz in 38 gallons per manufacturers directions. I'm sure the maximum limit is quite high because you know there are people thinking "If double is better, than triple the amount is best." Manufacturers know that when writing directions.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RM2738
Power Service actually states on their bottle "For better results, use two times the amount of Diesel Kleen." So you could put up to 30-32 oz in 38 gallons per manufacturers directions. I'm sure the maximum limit is quite high because you know there are people thinking "If double is better, than triple the amount is best." Manufacturers know that when writing directions.
I buy WHITE bottles in the winter and usually double the 'dose' for each tank while in the mountains when it's really cold. Been doing it since I got my Excursion with no problems. Can't see why it would hurt the 6.4s.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I buy WHITE bottles in the winter and usually double the 'dose' for each tank while in the mountains when it's really cold. Been doing it since I got my Excursion with no problems. Can't see why it would hurt the 6.4s.
I'm fortunate enough to never need the White. We rarely get below freezing.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I overdose too, I add 1/2 a bottle at every fillup, whether I am empty or not. It is just easier than trying to guessimate the amount I am going to pump, and I like adding it before I fuel up so that the fueling completely mixes it.

As to the white bottle, I have not used it yet because it has not really been cold enough at my house yet to worry.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know why the white bottle ups the cetane value less than the silver bottle?

I am thinking that you would want to bump the cetane higher in winter to create a higher temp to help keep the engine running warmer. But then, having said that, I can also see that maybe it is not needed since colder intake air improves combustion.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
This is how I measure mine to get the right amount when I want to. 1 oz. for every 3 gallons is easy to figure and it is the right size for pouring into the tanks. Plus, you can buy 3 for $2 at Wally World and they seal up and you don't smell the additive in the toolbox or truck.

A full 9 oz. here is exactly what short bed owners need and another 3 oz for a long bed and 15 oz. for the Excursions!(when they are empty of course)

Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
This is how I measure mine to get the right amount when I want to. 1 oz. for every 3 gallons is easy to figure and it is the right size for pouring into the tanks. Plus, you can buy 3 for $2 at Wally World and they seal up and you don't smell the additive in the toolbox or truck.

A full 9 oz. here is exactly what short bed owners need and another 3 oz for a long bed and 15 oz. for the Excursions!(when they are empty of course)

Thats probably the best idea I've seen in a while. Rubber doesn't swell?
Or did you buy the nipple replacement kit too ?

Seriously though, good idea.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:27 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by parkland
Thats probably the best idea I've seen in a while. Rubber doesn't swell?
Or did you buy the nipple replacement kit too ?

Seriously though, good idea.

I've been using the same two(one in dually and one in X) for over a year now. Another plus is that you don't need a funnel to pour it in with. By the way, that was funny!!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I've been using the same two(one in dually and one in X) for over a year now. Another plus is that you don't need a funnel to pour it in with. By the way, that was funny!!!!
No, it's a great idea.

extra points for guys wondering WTF you're doing pointing a baby bottle in your fuel tank

Old 11-17-2012, 05:33 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by parkland
No, it's a great idea.

extra points for guys wondering WTF you're doing pointing a baby bottle in your fuel tank
That's even funnier!!! uummm if that is even a word!!!!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 AM
lookngo
Freshman User

Quick............. hurry and bring these to market in a more manly fashioned applicator, and you could be kick'n it up at a beach or mountains somewhere, this time next year, living off the profits. Unless the Chinese, beat you to it.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:06 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chalkie
I guess I overdose too, I add 1/2 a bottle at every fillup, whether I am empty or not. It is just easier than trying to guessimate the amount I am going to pump, and I like adding it before I fuel up so that the fueling completely mixes it.

As to the white bottle, I have not used it yet because it has not really been cold enough at my house yet to worry.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know why the white bottle ups the cetane value less than the silver bottle?
I would think that oz, for oz, the white bottle has additional compounds to prevent fuel felling while the gray bottle has more to allow cetane increase.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the main issue is the declining cost:benefit ratio as you add more past the specified amount.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
It wasn't Diesel Kleen but a buddy of mine was using a diesel additive several years ago. He added more than what was recommended (not sure how much more) and hit the highway. After an hour of driving the truck started jerking so he pulled over and it shut off like it was out of fuel. He had the truck towed and when they opened the fuel filter housing they found the problem. The excess additive had eaten the plastic holding the filter element. Once gone the filter element plugged the fuel line and caused the truck to die. It turned out to be a cheap fix but it did leave him stranded. After hearing that story a couple years ago I've always been careful not to add too much more than the recommended amount. Just some food for thought. Cheers

Quick Reply: Diesel Kleen - Can you add too much?