1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1969 F-100 "rat rod shop truck" project

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Nudnik
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I need some wiring help. Can anyone explain to me how the dome light turns on? I know how it's supposed to turn on but mine isn't working. Also, how about the dash lights? Mine won't turn on at all & I don't want to button up the wiring until I get it all perfect.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the rheostat is bad on the light switch (it dims the dash lights) that could be the problem. Also, the dome light gets its power from the front of the rheostat IIRC. Here is a thread to help you.....https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...sh-lights.html

Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Nudnik
Senior User
Originally Posted by 19704X4F250
If the rheostat is bad on the light switch (it dims the dash lights) that could be the problem. Also, the dome light gets its power from the front of the rheostat IIRC. Here is a thread to help you.....https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...sh-lights.html
That was most certainly the problem. I'm lucky enough to have a Pick N Pull about 2 hours south of me with half a dozen F-100s in their yard so yesterday I went down there & grabbed a few parts; of which a couple of light switches were on the list. After pulling the old switch out I noticed that the coil on the dimmer portion was completely shot. After I put in the new switch my dashboard & dome lights worked. I also picked up a complete 2 piece drive shaft & a chrome bumper.

Today I was able to figure out why my fuel pump wasn't turning on & I got all the lights figured out except for my back-up lights & my hazards. Does anyone who's done this swap have a solution on how to hook up the back-up lights?

I still need to work out the hazard light issue too but because my truck has a steering column from a newer model truck I don't know how the previous owner has everything wired up. I hope to figure it all out tomorrow.

Making progress.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Nudnik
Senior User
I made some more progress today on Project RRST today. I got the toolbox (aka fuel tank cover) mounted properly in the bed & I got most of the wiring buttoned up. I still need to hook up the gauges but I decided to put the back up lights on a manual switch so those work now.

Does anyone have advice on mounting the computer under the hood. I'd like to put it in an insulated & waterproof box but I'm not sure what to use or if the computer needs air for cooling.

I'm still having problems with my fuel gauge so if anyone has some advice on the fuel gauge I'd be very appreciative. I've decided to put in an aftermarket gauge cluster (temp, oil pressure & voltage) since the stock dash doesn't have 2 of the 3.

Tomorrow I'm ordering an electric radiator fan switch, mufflers & a Lokar kick down/throttle cable kit as well as a speedo cable gear for my setup. The 2-piece driveshaft will be going to the shop for new u-joints, carrier bearing & a balancing. That should get me really close to being road worthy minus the exhaust & tires. Below are pics of the toolbox & the current status of my wiring.

Last edited by Nudnik; 01-06-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 AM
broncobilly66
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nudnik

Does anyone have advice on mounting the computer under the hood. I'd like to put it in an insulated & waterproof box but I'm not sure what to use or if the computer needs air for cooling.

[/IMG]
I did this swap a few years ago on my 66 bronco. I remember reading to not put the ECM under the hood. It doesn't need to be near all the heat, it's not water tight, and it would get hot in a sealed box... The way you have it in that pic, any water that got on it would settle in the plug.. Not good. I ran mine though the firewall with a grommet and put it on top of the radio

Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Nudnik
Senior User
I was really afraid somebody was going to say that. Moving it into the cab is going to be a huge headache. Hmmmm, I guess I need to start figuring out how I'm going to do that b/c the stock wiring is not long enough.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 PM
broncobilly66
Senior User
I've seen them under the hood. It's not ideal for sure. Where you have yours is asking for trouble. That manifold is gonna cook it. Up on top of the inner fender with the plug facing down would be better.
You need to try your best to get it in the cab

Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Nudnik
Senior User
I'm going to head out to the shop torrow night after work so hopefully I'll be able to figure something out. Pray for me. Haha!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought but maybe a stock wire harness from a truck would fit to get it in the cab.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Nudnik
Senior User
Yikes, that sounds like even more work. I like BroncoBilly's idea of putting it near the radio. I think I can make that work with some effort.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Nudnik
Senior User
Well, I did it. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't that difficult. I went by the shop a couple of nights ago & I actually got the computer into the cab. I followed BroncoBilly's advice & now have the "brain box" in the cab mounted above where the radio will be. I cut a hole big enough to get the plug thru & then lined the edges with some hose to prevent any of the wires from being cut due to vibrations. I still need to find a way to "plug" the hole at least now the computer is safe from the heat. The only modifications I'm having to make to the wiring harness is to extend the wires on the MAF sensor plug. Now to figure out how to get my stock fuel gauge to work with a modern day fuel tank, mount the relays & fuse block & I'll be completely done with the wiring.

I ordered an electric fan switch, Lokar AOD kick down & throttle cable, plus a couple of Thrush Turbo mufflers & my driveshaft is at the shop getting new u-joints, carrier bearing & being balanced so I'm making some real progress towards getting it back on the road. I have to travel this weekend for work so I won't get a chance to work on it until next week but I'm shooting for driving it down the road within 2 weeks.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 PM
broncobilly66
Senior User
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by broncobilly66
WOW!!! $10 for one grommet...

Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Nudnik
Senior User
After numerous headaches & obstacles, I'm finally picking up my driveshaft today. A couple of weeks ago I went to Pick N Pull & grabbed a 2 piece shaft out of a 68 F-100. I did a little test fitting & it appears that after I drop the rearend 4" with the DJM hangers & shackles that a 2-piece shaft is going to fit perfectly. I did have to fabricate a new carrier bearing mount b/c the PO removed the original one but I think it's all going to work perfectly. I'm going out to the shop tonight to install the new mount & test fit the drive shaft before I install the DJM suspension pieces. I will post pics when I get a chance. So far it's cost me a total of about $250, which is more than I wanted to spend but all in all, not to bad.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Nudnik
Senior User
Making progress!!!!

I finally got to spend some time working on my truck again last night & I managed to take a couple of major steps closer to getting "Petunia" on the road.

I ordered a Lokar kick-down & throttle cable from Summit Racing which I got partially installed on the truck last night. I still have to fabricate a bracket to hold the cables in place in front of the throttle body but that shouldn't take too long.

The big time consumer last night was installing the kick-down cable. I had to flip the trans shift lever on the side of the tranny from pointing up to down. The 72" kick-down cable I bought wasn't long enough to route towards the rear of the truck & then turn 180 degrees to head back towards the intake.

I also got a chance to cut, bend & install the brakes lines from the master cylinder down to the junction on the frame rail last night. I'm not completely satisfied with how I chose to route them but they'll get the job done for now so I can get running down the road (& stop at the end).

Finally, I picked up my 2-piece drive shaft yesterday & I plan on installing that once I get the DJM Suspension shackles & hangers installed. I've already fabricated a new carrier bearing mount which I will install at the same time. I'm so stoked that I'm getting so close but I've got a couple "honey-do" chores this weekend so I may not get much time to work on it until next week. I've got a self-imposed deadline to have it on the road by next Friday. Now I just hope I can make that deadline.

As always, you can head over to my website for a more detailed write up about my most recent progress.

TheNudnik.com

Quick Reply: 1969 F-100 "rat rod shop truck" project