Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM
BigTruk small feet
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No cranky cranky

2000 f350 7.3 auto

Gentlemen,

I've done the search, and although there are very similar symptoms described there, I still feel I have to put this out to ponder.

Like it says, engine won't crank. I used a screwdriver as a jumper between the two poles on the starter switch/relay that is mounted on the passenger side fender, and sure enough it cranked right away and started. Soooooo, my conclusion was I needed a new starter relay. Installed a new one, go to start it, and........you guessed it no crank. There was however a buzzing sound coming from a component which is mounted very close to the starter relay. I have no idea what it is however. Anyway, I did the screwdriver jump thing again, and it started right up again, and the buzzing sound from the "component" went away.

So, did I get a bad switch/relay, or did I hook it up incorrectly, or is something else wrong.

I took all the wires off the original relay one by one and mounted them onto the new relay accordingly, so I'm pretty sure i got the wires right.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ignition switch may be buggered.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 PM
howellt39
Senior User
Tempted to agree with Christof here, sounds like the low current side of the relay isn't getting signal, which would lead back to an ignition switch. Not sure if there's any other electronics involved in the starter setup, but I don't believe so. Could apply 12V to the low current side to eliminate the relay for sure though.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I truly don't know if our trucks are set up this way but, If i remember right. There is a shaft from the ignition lock to a electric box at the bottom of the steering column that operates all the power from the key.
some times it will move so when you turn the key, The rod will push the whole box because the screws have come lose, instead of pushing the inner rocker over to the right position to make the connection to start..

Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
theres a another switch also try starting in neutral or lift lever into park

Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM
BigTruk small feet
Junior User
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Ignition switch may be buggered.
You're referring to the ignition switch on the steering column I presume?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Is your truck an automatic? If so is your shifter sloppy?
Im thinking you might need to tighten up the 3 torx head screws to get the slop out of the shifter, you can always pust the shifter up as far as you can by hand while you try cranking it

Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 289 Likes on 149 Posts
Before you go down that road, try this:

-Put the truck in reverse
-Roll it back a few feet
-Set the parking brake
-Put it in neutral
-Try starting the truck

Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sand_fiend
I truly don't know if our trucks are set up this way but, If i remember right. There is a shaft from the ignition lock to a electric box at the bottom of the steering column that operates all the power from the key.
some times it will move so when you turn the key, The rod will push the whole box because the screws have come lose, instead of pushing the inner rocker over to the right position to make the connection to start..
Originally Posted by crop harvester
theres a another switch also try starting in neutral or lift lever into park
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Is your truck an automatic? If so is your shifter sloppy?
Im thinking you might need to tighten up the 3 torx head screws to get the slop out of the shifter, you can always pust the shifter up as far as you can by hand while you try cranking it
X's 4 this is where I would look first. Here's a pic to help visualize.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If all else fails, if continuity is lost between the small wire at the fender mounted starter relay (the connecter with the 90° boot) and where it connects to the small terminal at the starter the starter will not engage.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
If all else fails, if continuity is lost between the small wire at the fender mounted starter relay (the connecter with the 90° boot) and where it connects to the small terminal at the starter the starter will not engage.

X2

Did you check for a current from the small connector? Use a volt meter to check if power is going through the small connector. Have someone turn the key to 'start' as you are using a volt meter to check this for current. Your old starter relay may have been fine.

Also there is a relay on the starter. I was having the 'clicking' problem..... changed fender relay, did not help... turned out to be the small wire going to the relay on the starter was corroded up with a lot of green corrosion. cleaned it up with electrical spray cleaner and everything is good with no starting problems.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM
BigTruk small feet
Junior User
Thanks everyone for all the helpful ideas. I will try all of them this weekend and let you know how i make out!!!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 PM
BigTruk small feet
Junior User
.....how weird is this? I jump into my truck this morning and it fires right up!
No tools required!

I know I'm not out of the woods, 'cuz obviously something is not right.
Maybe it's a question of a loose connection as someone suggested, maybe my alarm system is screwing with me. I'll still do the check list you all suggested and get back to you all.

BTW I drove the truck around all day today without any issues.....weird.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 AM
95Z71
Elder User
Originally Posted by BigTruk small feet
.....how weird is this? I jump into my truck this morning and it fires right up!
No tools required!

I know I'm not out of the woods, 'cuz obviously something is not right.
Maybe it's a question of a loose connection as someone suggested, maybe my alarm system is screwing with me. I'll still do the check list you all suggested and get back to you all.

BTW I drove the truck around all day today without any issues.....weird.
I currently have the same issues. Good friend suggests it being the ignition switch. Just haven't got to it yet. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 AM
roadrnnr
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a similar problem. The shift lever was sloppy on mine. I'd turn the key and nothing, then bump the lever and it would fire up as usual. My dad's F-150 had the same trouble. I just tightened the bolts as noted above and the problem was solved! I found the solution by searching this forum.

Quick Reply: No cranky cranky