Installing more speakers in my '94 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:18 PM
moose94
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1994 F-150 XL as I have 4 sony Explod speakers to fit the stock holes with a matching deck. Now I want better sound so is there a way to put more speakers somewhere? Under the seat? Behind the seat? I want bigger speakers for a better output.

If someone could help me it would be great. Thanks.

Moose

Old 05-21-2003, 05:28 PM
luvdeftonz
Senior User

If you want the cold, hard truth, replace those speakers. First of all, adding more speakers isn't the answer. A simple 2 way comp set and a nice amp is all you need to fill up the cabin of a F-150 with rich, full sound. I'd suggest looking into a very nice set of comps, and a amp that will/can sufficiently power them. Give me a budget, and I (along with others) can provide suggestions on what to look at. With a budget as little as $250, I can reccomend a comp set/amp that would put all four of those Xplode's to shame. Start upping the budget, and you can be blown away...literally

Oh, and adding a sub, even a small 8" or 10", will make a world of difference, regardless of what type of music you listen to.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:17 PM
moose94
Posting Guru

really. Well thanks.

How would I put bigger speakers into the stock holes? If it doesn't fit, it really doesn't fit. What if I ran four speakers that were all 6x9?, and I'll need to get an amp, I know.

I have the money to do it, I just want to know how and what speakers to buy.

So just how is it possible to fit larger speakers anywhere in my truck? Is there a different way?

EDIT: I'll give you a budget - $400 CAN. - no more.

Last edited by moose94; 05-21-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:38 PM
smokey6309028
Senior User

I strongly agree with deftonz.
I dont believe you need MORE speakers either. You can get extremely loud in truck with a good set of component speakers and a nice amp easily. If you want to further the experience...get a sub as well.
I dont like to bash brands but the Sony Xplod line, and I mean the WHOLE line...amps/subs/speakers/headunits. They are all pretty terrible. Sony has recessed quite a bit in the quality of its car audio products in the last 5 years.

What size speakers do you have in the stock holes currently?
You could put a component set, a 10" sub and a 4 channel amp in that thing and it would knock your doors off!

A good comp set for under $150 US would be :
Diamond Audio M3
Rainbow Dream line

A good amp to power the comps would be:
JBL P90.2 : about $129 US

Old 05-21-2003, 10:12 PM
moose94
Posting Guru

hmmmm good. I forgot to mention my truck was a regular cab. So it's tight. I'll have to check on the size of those speakers, but I'm betting that they are really tiny. I really only want a set of comps (4 maybe?) and an amp. Hopefully that won't run me too much. But the thing is, can I run 6x9's without some heavy modifications?
I'll check on those speakers sizes and give you the word soon.

Old 05-22-2003, 01:53 AM
luvdeftonz
Senior User

Well, a quick trip to Crutchfield shows 6.5" in the front, and 6x8 in the rear. Don't worry about the rear speakers. I would remove them, especially in a reg. cab. No passengers, soundstage/imaging anamolies, and an unnecessary additional cost. Rear speakers in reg. cab trucks really confuses me

There are a million different comp sets to consider. If you can do a Canadian dollar to US dollar conversion ($400 CND = $??? USD) it will make it a little easier for reccomendations. BTW, if you're not so sure about comps, there ARE a few coaxials that would work really well, too. I suggested comp's because their greater power handling ability, better build quality, more driver placement options, versatile crossovers, and much better overall sound.

BTW, do you want these speakers to reproduce most of the audio spectrum, or do you plan on adding a sub in the future? If you're not planning on a sub, even a small one, you should consider comp's that can go pretty low.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:55 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

skip the Xplods all around, they arent worth the material they're made of and get a good set of component speakers. suggested brands would be: MB Quart, Infinity, Peerless, Focal, A/D/S, Rainbow, Diamond...powered by a nice amp (perferable 2 channel), would do much better than most co/triaxls. adding more speakers isnt going to help it to sound better and will only get distorted and cause the mid-high levels to be unbearable.

will 6x9s fit, yes. do u want em back there, no...u can cut the front doors and modify the cab corners to make bigger speakers fit but it isnt worth it.

get a small sub (10" or even 8") will complament the sound spectrum and fillout the lows the comps wont reach.

Old 05-22-2003, 11:42 AM
moose94
Posting Guru

Originally posted by optikal illushun
skip the Xplods all around, they arent worth the material they're made of and get a good set of component speakers. suggested brands would be: MB Quart, Infinity, Peerless, Focal, A/D/S, Rainbow, Diamond...powered by a nice amp (perferable 2 channel), would do much better than most co/triaxls. adding more speakers isnt going to help it to sound better and will only get distorted and cause the mid-high levels to be unbearable.

will 6x9s fit, yes. do u want em back there, no...u can cut the front doors and modify the cab corners to make bigger speakers fit but it isnt worth it.

get a small sub (10" or even 8") will complament the sound spectrum and fillout the lows the comps wont reach.

O.k Wait a second here. I understand that I should skip the Xplodes, but are you saying don't buy 6x9's? What size should I buy to get good sound then? $400 CAN. is about $275 US., I think. Does anyone know the maximum size I can go in the stock holes? Is there a need for modification? I'm gonna run 4 speakers in the cab, 2 in the door and 2 behind the seat in the corner. The reason is because my brother has that set-up in his car and it sounds good. He has sony 6x9's, 4 of them and the new panasonic deck (the one with the animation).

So, 6x9's are the best, but is it a good fit?
Would it be wiser to go with something smaller?

BTW - the speakers that are in my truck right now look like 6" round speakers. They fit underneath the door panal. I think they are 6". The have tweeters mounted on the outside of the panal.

Last edited by moose94; 05-22-2003 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:24 PM
luvdeftonz
Senior User

Instead of buying 3 sets of speakers, just buy one really good set. Trust me, a nice set of comps up front will blow away your brother's Xplode's. They will sound infinitely better to boot. $275 is a tight budget, but my (current) front stage was only $250. Alpine 6.5" Type R components and a US Acoustics usx-2080. Without a sub, the volume is somewhat limited (though loud enough to still cause hearing damage) due to the fact I'm running them full range at the moment. Get a sub, crossed over at 65-80 hz, and all is forgotten. If you're really set on 4 new speakers, look at Infinity Kappa's. 2 sets of Kappas and a US Acoustics usx-2080 (to power the front speakers only) will cost about $275 USD. Infinity speakers, especially their coaxials, are pretty efficient. A JBL 180.2 is another similarly priced amp that would work great (and provide a tad more power).

If you really wanted to go on the cheap, get 2 sets of Infinity References and a US Acoustics usx-4065. These, too, will get louder and sound better than 4 Xplode's.

It all depends on what you really want. If it sounds like I'm trying to get you to overbuy, I'm not. I'm just trying to reccomend what I would do if I had your budget to work with. If you really, really, really wanted to show up your brother, you would save up a bit more. Throw in a set of JL XR comps, or Focal PK's, with a 100x2 amp, and his and your jaw would hit the floor. It would cost another $125ish, though.

BTW, 2 sets of speakers in a door, and another in the rear, is a bad idea. Sure, it probably gets loud as all hell (assuming it's amped. If it's off HU power, it can't sound good) but soundstage/imaging goes straigt to the toilet. Clean, clear, and sonically accurate music is so much more enjoyable when you have a proper sounstage with proper imaging.

$.02

Old 05-22-2003, 08:19 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the speaker size u currently have are 6.5" in the front and 6x8" in the cab corners. i have u understand were trying to help u with a nicer sounding system then cheesy 6x9s which wont fit without major modification. a good 6.5" comp set (woofer mounted in the door with some sound deadener) and the tweeter mounted in the top of the door panel will be ideal. u can also get kickpanels but im not a fan of those.

Old 05-23-2003, 10:35 AM
moose94
Posting Guru

yeah I know, I visited future shop today and got the guy to put on some infinity 6.5" speakers for the door. They have the tweeter mounted on the outside and it sound awesome, way better than my xplodes. So I should get a 2way amp and run it into the front speakers only? and leave the rear speakers to run without one? I kinda wanted a 3way set, but they don't make them to fit my door, so oh well.

Thanks for all your help, its expesnive but I'll probably get the infinity 6.5" in the door, and then go from there. Maybe I'll leave the xplodes in the rear until I can get some 6x9's.
Give me your input on panasonic and clairion speakers.

Old 05-23-2003, 01:20 PM
moose94
Posting Guru

The guy at Futureshop also suggested I get a pair of 6x9's and put them in boxes and put them begind the seat. I think this is a good idea, what do you think? Where does everybody put their amp? I would think that if you put it underneath the seat that would be good, but would it be easy to steal it?

Old 05-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Lightbulb Installing more speakers in my '94 F-150

man, just get your amp, and amplify to fronts, then get yourself a sub (in my Ranger standard cab, i run an 8" tube, and only off of 30 watts RMS, and it sounds good enough) so in your truck, i would go with a 10" in a box, and really, just one would do just fine, im not sure what the Infinities will handle, but I would put about 100-150 watts RMS to it, (just a mono amp, about $150-$250) and this will be plenty, then tell your bro. to eat that up, cause it'll sound great in your truck. 6.5"(pair)...around $100 or set of components 6.5"+the tweeter...maybe $230 for some Polks (i like them) Decent amp... maybe 75x2....$150-$250, one 10" Infinity $100? Decent mono amp... $130? Satisfaction of knowing your system will blow your brother's away.... Priceless

Old 05-23-2003, 03:26 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster

P.S. Just get one 10" and box it.... dont get the 6x9's... you really dont get much from the rear speakers anyways, trust me, its not worth it.

Old 05-30-2003, 02:26 AM
Whitey92
New User

I've got a '92 F-150 with the same size speakers that you have-- 6 1/2" in the front and 6x8's in the rear. I've got a pioneer head unit and a 10" pioneer sub and i just recently put in a set of Pioneer 6x8 2-way speakers in the rear that I snagged off a guy for $25. Those speakers really scream when you turn it up so it just matters what you're willing to do. The sub helps the whole sound tremendously so I definately recommend getting one.

Quick Reply: Installing more speakers in my '94 F-150