Urgent!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
EcoBoosted
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent!

Hi gang!

I'm a long time longer and have been hangin' out on the other F-150 forums and while researching something rather important today, kept running across great info on this site. Figured registering was the least I could do!

I've got a bit of an urgent question I'm wondering if ya'll can talk me out of, or into if be. I've got myself a 2012 F-150 XLT 4X4. On my drive today, I noticed a truck that literally made me whip my head around.

Stumbled upon a 1977 F-250 Ranger with 43,000 miles on it, and a 351 Cleveland under the hood. The truck was purchased new in 1977 and the owner died a few months back, resulting in the neighbor buying and selling the truck. The truck is a 2WD and is rust-free from what I could tell aside from a few small spots on one fender. It seemed pretty odd that it's free of rust due to the fact that I'm in rural Michi
gan. The current owner said it said in the old man's barn with his harvesters all of its life.

Long story short, I called the number and met with the owner today, who showed up in a gold Cadillac DeVille on gold wire wheels, I kid you not. Did a big walk around of the truck, got under it, etc. Drove the truck for a few minutes, drove just as a truck of that age would. Pulled to the left due a low front tire. Everything on the truck worked properly. The only thing I noticed was a hole in the passenger floor board, and a trim piece inside was rotted. The interior was very clean, and the bench seat looks brand new. I know when I look at it, I'm looking at a farmers pride and joy. I notice the Harley front plate and I know that man loved his truck. Kinda' cool.

We talked money. Told me he wouldn't take a penny less than $1,700. We agreed on $1,525 and I left him with a $50 deposit. I told him I would meet him Saturday morning. Have access to a trailer now, and two new front tires since the current front two are dry-rotted.

I called a friend who has owned several F-series around that era. He was definitely impressed. He said the truck was in outstanding condition. Couldn't believe how clean the frame was and said he thinks it's a Southern truck. Although it has sat in a barn with a bunch of harvesters all its life. The only rust is a few tiny spots above the drivers wheel well.

SO HERE IS MY QUESTION
What do you guys think? Buy it? I've never done anything like this and I'm scared out of my mind. I honestly don't think I'd have enough time to enjoy it like I thought I would with my work schedule. If I pick it up for $1,525, what do you think I could get out of it? Would it sell or sit forever? I have no idea what this would go for and I can't find any pricing guide to help. If I sold, would I be selling for less than what I paid? Breaking even? More? Sorry for so many questions.

I know this is a long-winded first post, but I'm really nervous about this. Don't know if I should walk or bring her home and try to sell it.

Thanks for any and all help, I really do mean it. Without these forums, I swear I would be lost

Chris

Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM
EcoBoosted
New User
Here's a few pictures of it!

Chris

Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM
hp246
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Whereabouts in Michigan? If you don't buy it I might. Seriously Good trucks are hard to come by after the Cash for Clunkers. If it's solid and runs, I think it's a steel.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Welcome to FTE... Looks like a very clean old truck. Price is a funny thing and they can be all over the place depending on where you live. Around here, that would be a pretty good price due to most trucks being rust buckets in this area. You may find yourself putting some time/money into fixing stuff like dried out seals, fuel lines, etc if the truck has not been used and was parked all the time. Also, the fuel tank might be gunked up. How is the interior? I hope the mice didn't take over when it was in the barn.

As far a flipping it for a quick profit... I would be sceptical... I don't see that these old trucks, even the nice ones, are the type of vehicle you can make a fast buck on.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:00 PM
EcoBoosted
New User
Originally Posted by hp246
Whereabouts in Michigan? If you don't buy it I might. Seriously Good trucks are hard to come by after the Cash for Clunkers. If it's solid and runs, I think it's a steel.
The truck is located in Adrian. I do not live here. The owner had it sitting in a little gravel lot. I gave him my $50 deposit and told him I will see him Saturday morning at 10 with my mechanic. I'm just nervous, I know that sounds lame. I'm no expert on "classics" but I've always loved the 78's and 77's. And finding this with a little over 40K miles I just felt was too good to be passed up. Had 3 separate people take a look while I was under it. Anyone know where I can get a rough ballpark on what the price is worth?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 PM
EcoBoosted
New User
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
Welcome to FTE... Looks like a very clean old truck. Price is a funny thing and they can be all over the place depending on where you live. Around here, that would be a pretty good price due to most trucks being rust buckets in this area. You may find yourself putting some time/money into fixing stuff like dried out seals, fuel lines, etc if the truck has not been used and was parked all the time. Also, the fuel tank might be gunked up. How is the interior? I hope the mice didn't take over when it was in the barn.

As far a flipping it for a quick profit... I would be sceptical... I don't see that these old trucks, even the nice ones, are the type of vehicle you can make a fast buck on.
Fluids seemed fine from what I checked. Has a new battery. I've got a friend with two new front tires in his barn that I will throw on if I do decide to go through. Interior is extremely clean. The bench seat looks brand new as does all the headliner and upholstery and gauges. Only thing wrong with the interior was obviously the hole in the passenger side floorboard and a piece of trim molding on the drivers door is worn.

Thanks for the welcome! And that was what I wasn't looking to hear, but makes me feel better that I know that.

Chris

Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by EcoBoosted
Anyone know where I can get a rough ballpark on what the price is worth?

Thanks!

Chris
Chris - here is one place that has values:

Classic Cars, Car Value & Vintage Values | Muscle Cars & Classic Car Reviews | NADA Muscle, Exotic & Classic Truck Car Guides | Automotive Classic Car Values

Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wouldn't that be a 351M not a cleavland? Anyways, BUY IT!

Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by hp246
Cash for Clunkers excluded 70's vehicles. It was for vehicles 25 years old and newer IIRC.

Nice old rigs are hard to comy by in your area simply because of the climate and road maintenance practices... plus Ford hardly even used a toothpaste tube's worth of sealant or undercoating on these rigs.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM
hp246
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Cash for Clunkers excluded 70's vehicles. It was for vehicles 25 years old and newer IIRC.

Nice old rigs are hard to comy by in your area simply because of the climate and road maintenance practices... plus Ford hardly even used a toothpaste tube's worth of sealant or undercoating on these rigs.
Yes, but my point was many usable pickups disappeared from the landscape, making the old beater truck more valuable.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
That price is a steal; hurry up and buy it before someone else does. However, if buying an old truck scares you and you don't think you'll have time for it, then why are you even doing this?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 PM
EcoBoosted
New User
Originally Posted by fmc400
That price is a steal; hurry up and buy it before someone else does. However, if buying an old truck scares you and you don't think you'll have time for it, then why are you even doing this?
I've always been a die-hard Ford Motor fan. And I've always found this body style beautiful. I think my problem is I only buy newer vehicles and have never made a purchase like this. I've never purchased a vehicle anywhere near this one's age. Guess I'm just new to it and am a bit scared, even though it's $1,500.

Chris

Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM
spikinfool05
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think its a good deal. make a good body swap truck.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 PM
stromburg
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy it !!!. This is a perfect vehicle for you to learn on.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I understand the concern, but I don't think you can go wrong for that price range. Between easily-accessible literature and this forum, there's not much you'll face that you won't be able to work through. A single-owner low-mileage barn find won't likely have that many issues in the first place - previous owners are a truck's worst enemy.

Quick Reply: Urgent!