6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

ANY NSECRETS TO REPLACING MY COOLANT

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
ANY NSECRETS TO REPLACING MY COOLANT

I'm at 56K miles. I was gonna change out the coolant at 60K. Just did a coolant test strip and I'm border line need to add coolant additive so I think I'll just go ahead and change coolant and add a coolant filter while I'm in there. Anything I need to know? just drain, remove bottom hose, drain block (i guess) fill with water (and what?) run for a few minutes, drain everything again and add ford coolant and distilled water 50/50. Is that everything, and can I get to the driver side block drain or is EGR cooler in the way? anybody want to recommend a filter kit? Thanks.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Waaay more involved:

http://wpnet.us/Cooling_system_flush.pdf

I recommend having the dealer do it since there is so much distilled / RO water required and so much fluids to dispose of. I also recommend printing out the Ford procedure and discussing it with the dealer service folks since it seems many do not understand the full procedure with VC-9 cleaner.

Note - This is *not* the procedure for a contaminated system, there is a note on the procedure doc about contamination and the repairs and additional cleaning required before you do this procedure which is the normal 60k flush and refill.

The additional cleaning for a contaminated system is covered in a Ford video and involves the use of Simple Green Pro HD to clean the system followed be something like three rinses before going into the regular flush procedure with VC-9, more rinses and finally refill with new coolant.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wp6529
Waaay more involved:

http://wpnet.us/Cooling_system_flush.pdf

I recommend having the dealer do it since there is so much distilled / RO water required and so much fluids to dispose of. I also recommend printing out the Ford procedure and discussing it with the dealer service folks since it seems many do not understand the full procedure with VC-9 cleaner.

Note - This is *not* the procedure for a contaminated system, there is a note on the procedure doc about contamination and the repairs and additional cleaning required before you do this procedure which is the normal 60k flush and refill.

The additional cleaning for a contaminated system is covered in a Ford video and involves the use of Simple Green Pro HD to clean the system followed be something like three rinses before going into the regular flush procedure with VC-9, more rinses and finally refill with new coolant.
Wow, that's a heck of a flushing procedure. The only way I'd believe the dealer did ALL that is if I stood there and watched. Thanks for the info and the linc.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
The dealer is probably the only one that can do the job unless you have your own shop.

Since you have a history with the truck I would be inclined to follow what you have laid out...personnally.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by senix
The dealer is probably the only one that can do the job unless you have your own shop.

Since you have a history with the truck I would be inclined to follow what you have laid out...personnally.
You mean what I laid out at the beginning of this thread? I googled it and got Power Stroke Help or whatever his web site is and he just did a drain, fill/run, drain fill/run again, drain and flush through the degas for 15 mins. he didn't even use the iron cleaner. I'm not opposed to paying the dealer but I have a feeling they wouldn't do any more than I would.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
You mean what I laid out at the beginning of this thread? I googled it and got Power Stroke Help or whatever his web site is and he just did a drain, fill/run, drain fill/run again, drain and flush through the degas for 15 mins. he didn't even use the iron cleaner. I'm not opposed to paying the dealer but I have a feeling they wouldn't do any more than I would.
Exactly, unless you paid dearly.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:57 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know mine is going to an evans coolant truck shortly.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by parkland
I know mine is going to an evans coolant truck shortly.
What is evans coolant?

Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
What is evans coolant?
It is supposed to be better than normal coolant, although there are a lot of comments that say "I wouldn't" and similar, although most people are just chicken: i haven't heard of a single issue ever caused by it.

It is waterless, does not cavitate, and run non-pressurized.

It does not carry as many BTU's per liter of heat away as normal coolant, cause of the "waterless" part, although that fact is counteracted by the fact that it boils at 400 some degreees, so it can actually cool better in some cases as there are no bubbles or cavitation.

Did I mention theres no cavitation? lol.

It never needs to be changed, no additives, No cavitation issues.

I'm going to do a major engine rinse somehow, with a cleaner or something, then I'm going to put the evans in, Then, I'm never going to worry about cavitiation, oil cooler blockage, anything.

Everything I can tell from it, is that it is far superior, and the only reason is isn't more popular is that it's expensive, and different enough to scare average people away.

I'm jumping off the deep and and going for it, the cooling systems and cavitation worries on these engines are enough for me to think taking a chance is worth it, if I want this thing to last any amount of time.

http://www.evanscooling.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Py...eature=related