Stupid Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
gysgtbigdaddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Starter Question

Rebuilt starter that tests good on test benches at two separate shops. Brand new jumper cables hooked up straight from the battery to the starter (both in and out of the truck). Battery, along with 3 other batteries, all test good and are completely charged. Hard wired like this, the starter slowly spins (in and out of vehicle). To not sound as stupid as I am, I connected the positive cable to the stud coming off the side of the starter and clamped the negative to the ear where the mounting bolts attach. Am I missing something?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 PM
The Master Cylinder
New User
1953 Effies are positive ground aren't they? If yours has not been converted to Negative ground then you have it hooked up incorrectly. Since you give no history I'm just guessing.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 PM
gysgtbigdaddy
Senior User
The engine is a 312 from a '57 T-Bird. I had the starter rebuilt and have had it ran on two separate test benches. I can hook it up as a positive ground and give it a try...will it mess up anything if I hook it up that way and it's a negative ground?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
If the starter is from a '57 'Bird it will be 12V and designed as negative ground. What is the vehicle application and what voltage? If you're trying to run a 12V starter on 6 V, it will run slow. Has anyone run a current draw test on the starter? Is this something that has been working or something you're putting together?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 PM
gysgtbigdaddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by raytasch
What is the vehicle application and what voltage? Has anyone run a current draw test on the starter? Is this something that has been working or something you're putting together?
I purchased the truck( 53' F100) from a family friend. I was told it has a 312 Y-block from a 57' t-bird. I checked the numbers with some guys on this site and the #'s seem to match the story. The engine was rebuilt but never actually started. So, when I got it home I started the task of getting it to start. It turns over by hand (from crank) but didn't turn over with by the starter. I bypassed all the ignition wires and just mounted the solenoid on the firewall and hard wired it straight to a battery. So I took the starter in to be checked out and while it worked on the guys bench, he recommended a rebuild anyway. After his rebuild it worked on his bench and on the bench tester of another shop. But still nothing when I put it in the truck. To bypass the solenoid (even though it checked good) I have clamped jumper cables from a known good/charged battery straight to the starter that I set on my workbench. It just manages to slowly spin the bendix and not fully engage it. With the starter installed and hooked up the same way nothing happens. No sound whatsoever from the starter. With the solenoid from the firewall hooked up all that happens is the solenoid engages only. I've done all this with 3 known good batteries (one from car and other two from boat). Is there something I'm missing that "boosts" the 12v as it passes to the starter? I've never seen anything, but it seems like it isn't getting enough power to it...no matter how it's set up.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Not much help, but I'd put a clamp on Amp meter on one of the battery cables and see what the current draw is when you try to crank it.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 PM
The Master Cylinder
New User
Just throwing things out;
Wires in good condition?, Ground wires in good condition?, engine grounds to frame/body?, solenoid good?, Have you tried a different starter?

Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 PM
gysgtbigdaddy
Senior User
I had all three batteries checked out and they are good. There are no wires in the truck so cranking it isn't an option. I had the solenoid checked out and it is good. I even bypassed the solenoid and clamped directly on to the starter from the battery with jumper cables. I attached a grounding strap from the block to the frame thinking that it needed to be done, but it didn't help any. I haven't tried a different starter but wouldn't even know where to get one. Is there an aftermarket one I can get?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 AM
ALL AMERICAN BOY
Mountain Pass
gysgtbigdaddy

option #1

take it back to the rebuilder, if he's in the LA basin

i highly doubt he's trying to get by with something.

there's probably a simple reason it's not working.

option #2

call Bob's F100 Trucks in Riverside, that's their thing, 50's F100's.

they can probably spend a couple of minutes to save you

hours of going round and round.

option #3

NAPA has some y block starters, one of them might be the one for a '57 312.

have a nice day!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:33 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
There is an aftermarket starter. It works great but doesn't look or sound stock and is not cheap.

Home

I bought one after going through 2 or 3 stock rebuilt units. I don't know why they didn't last but they didn't. I've had this aftermarket unit for probably 8 trouble free years, maybe more.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ALL AMERICAN BOY
gysgtbigdaddy

option #1

take it back to the rebuilder, if he's in the LA basin

i highly doubt he's trying to get by with something.

there's probably a simple reason it's not working.

option #2

call Bob's F100 Trucks in Riverside, that's their thing, 50's F100's.

they can probably spend a couple of minutes to save you

hours of going round and round.

option #3

NAPA has some y block starters, one of them might be the one for a '57 312.

have a nice day!
To the best of my knowledge, Bob's F100 is still under criminal investigation for interstate commerce fraud....their reputation is well know. Avoid like the balck plague!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
gysgtbigdaddy
Senior User
Dang! I took the starter back to the little shop that rebuilt it and all he did was run it on his bench. He looked at me crazy when I told him it wasn't working. I'm headed to Napa and see what they have...if not I may have to suck on the end of a barrel and fork over some $ on an aftermarket one.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gysgtbigdaddy
Dang! I took the starter back to the little shop that rebuilt it and all he did was run it on his bench. He looked at me crazy when I told him it wasn't working. I'm headed to Napa and see what they have...if not I may have to suck on the end of a barrel and fork over some $ on an aftermarket one.
If there is a Completes Plus shop near you, ask for the good stuff- they typically have good quality remans....and they will sell to the public

website link.....Completes Plus

Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 AM
ALL AMERICAN BOY
Mountain Pass
gysgtbigdaddy

where did you end up with solving slow turning starter?

have a nice day!

Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
gysgtbigdaddy
Senior User
I'm going to bring it by a few more shops today and see what they say...no answer for the starter not working yet

Quick Reply: Stupid Starter Question