6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Really with this??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 AM
BFlemsr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really with this??

I have an '04 6.0 diesel. Just recently it started to shudder at around 50mph. Sometimes it idles rough sometimes not. Clearly seems like and engine miss but since im not good with diesels I need a few suggestions. I cleaned the EGR and am thinking about cleaning the turbo also. Put new fuel filters in, same thing.
It shakes and shudders until I get mad and mash the gas then it seems to clear up until I try cruising at one speed. While its doing this I have basically no acceleration, meaning I can push the petal slowly for what seems like forever before I get a response. Put a new tranny in last year.
maybe an injector issue? Maybe the Turbo? It is a bone stock 6.0

Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
Your 6.0 has a lot of computer controlled devices and sensors. It would be shot in the dark to guess what's up with it based on the info you provided. Some sort of monitor is necessary to see what values the sensors are reading and to pull any trouble codes from the engines computer.
The third thread down in the 6.0 forum is the Tech Folder. Look around in there and you will find a lot of info. If you plan to work on your truck yourself, it's a great place to find relavent info on almost any system on your truck. Also we have a contributor here named Bismic who monitors this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ew-owners.html <----click here. Post a message that you would like a copy of the spreadsheet and include a e-mail address for him to send it to. The spread sheet covers all kinds of info and resources to help you keep your truck running.
On your current issue, i would look in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...condition.html
If you don't have somthing to pull codes with, you can stop at one of the major chain parts stores, they will usually check it for free. Be aware however, they commonly us a "generic" scanner that may not display manufacturer specific codes. It can be helpful if they can pull a code and get you on the right track.You can have a code set without a check engine light. As you mentioned, injector and turbo are both possibilities, how many miles on your truck? Do you know if it's an early or late build? Any other major work besides what you mentioned? Generally what's the oil change history and brand of filters and oil filter cap?
Welcome to FTE!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 AM
BFlemsr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent had any check engine lights. And it is due for an oil change. Could an oil change have any bearing on this..truck has 149,000 miles. Havent had any real major issues with the exception of the tranny.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 AM
davbeisner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt an oil change delay would cause that... From my limited knowledge sounds like injectors or perhaps ICP sensor problems... Get yourself a good monitor like the ScanGauge II or AutoEnginuity and then the guys here can start helping you troubleshoot things...

Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
As I mentioned, you can have a code without a CEL. On the 6.0 the engine oil is pressurized and used to operate the fuel injectors. Condition of the oil and using proper filters is important for proper operation and life of the injectors (along with fuel filters). Here's what you want for oil filter:

Again, I recommend looking though this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...condition.html
A lot of guys here speak ScanGauge. available at AutoZone, along with several other brands of digital monitors that mount in your truck. There are also some capable apps for smart phones, computer based apps if you have a laptop or net book you can use, and handheld scanners that support "live data". Any of these would be usefull.

Last edited by Rusty Axlerod; 11-04-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Add