1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Why do craigslist sellers who say "I know whats its worth" NEVER know what its worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:00 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why do craigslist sellers who say "I know whats its worth" NEVER know what its worth?

Rare 77 Ford F350 1 ton camper special pu.

im selling a very good conditioned 1977 Ford F350 Camper Special 2wd pickup truck.this truck came from Kansas so its 95% rust free. is was special ordered at the time with the original 460 big block,runs good but needs the carb rebuilt and a tune up,i have the carb rebuilt kit new that goes with it.original automatic trans.p/s,factory a/c.dual tanks.the half of the right bed panal comes off,has a spare tire compartment behind that panel and i thought that was very unique.the rear axel on these sets back 7 inches more than the f250's and 150's,so these beds are really hard to find but this bed is in exellent condition.the original cab mounts and the radiator support looks new.it needs painted,only has serface rust from original paint job.needs very litttle tlc.the back tires are suppose to be originaly wider.i do have the stock wide rims and tires to go with the truck...i was told that these are collectors items for the 70's f series but just have to many projects so i have to down size..i know what these trucks go for,a painted and clean condition i seen these trucks go between 8-10k,a buddy of mine hade one and said mine is worth 5k the way it is.so im only asking 3,000 or best offer,might consider trade.240-367-8465.leave a message and ill call you back.thanks

Well, as you can see, the entire truck is covered in rust. I'm not sure why coming from kansas would be a good thing, since I've been to kansas and it snows pretty regularly there. I'm not sure why his friend thinks is worth $5k. He obviously doesn't trust his friend since he is asking $3k. In reality, this truck doesn't run, is covered in rust, and has a bunch of dents if you look at the pictures carefully. I've seen similar ones priced around $1200 in my area (this one is in my area).

Old 10-20-2012, 10:09 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
While I do share your frustration in general, I don't think his asking price is too far off.

You said the truck does not run, but the ad says the truck runs well but is in need of a tune up (unless I am missing something). The rust looks like "patina" rather than cancer, which is actually sought after by some people. Either way looks like surface rust that could be saved. No major dents that I could see. I could easily see someone offering $2500 in my area, I wouldn't think it would be any less where he is. However, you mentioned that it would go for far less where you and he are located based on what else is for sale - so it's all relative. Agreed that the "friend" he mentions is an idiot.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He's has hope that some fool that has no idea what it is worth will take his word for it and some do. Looks like junk to me, i have scraped out rust free ones in my area as we don't have that problem. We have every thing else wore out or beat up from use before they rust out.

EDIT==I should have said the buddy or friend is the one that's way off.
It might be worth $ 1200.00 around here.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:01 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
There was one nicer than that, with good white paint, that was going for $1200 just a hundred miles from here. it was for sale for 3 months before he finally took the ad down, I hope it sold and he didn't just scrap it! problem out here is no one wants 2wd's.

If you look carefully at the pics you will see some heavy pitting, especially along the chrome trim and the drip rail.

I used to live in TX too and I didn't see stuff like that going for $3k, and that was 8 years ago... I mean hell I bought a 91 F250 extended cab long bed 2wd diesel for $2k in 2005 in houston, and it looked brand new. no dings, paint was perfect except 2 spots where they had scraped off the DOT numbers on each door. Interior was perfect, cruise worked, AC blew ice cold. In fact I don't believe they would bring that much in TX, otherwise all the people that are selling the 2wd's so cheap over in AZ and NM would just bring em over to TX and double or triple their money.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im surprised it didnt have a "429 police interceptor" in it too amazing how many 460s turn into 429s when its time to sell them

Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by miottimouse
im surprised it didnt have a "429 police interceptor" in it too amazing how many 460s turn into 429s when its time to sell them
L.O.L.,yep , ford built some 'Magical' engines . 460s change to 429s . 332s /352s and 360s all change to 390s or 428s. 260s and 289s both change to 302s on day of sale. One of FORDs better ideas.----

Old 10-21-2012, 03:10 PM
400Nut
Mountain Pass
Jim Collins, you forgot the #1 "magical" engine misconception. The 351 Cleveland that the seller claims Ford stuck in those select few dents from the factory. I can't count how many times a seller claims that his 351m is a high performance factory installed Cleveland.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Honestly, it was a terrible idea to make 3 different engines of the same displacement during approximately the same time period. So much confusion between windsor, modified, and cleveland engines.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:45 PM
gnwalker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea i had to laugh when i saw it on craigslist

Old 10-21-2012, 05:27 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by 400Nut
Jim Collins, you forgot the #1 "magical" engine misconception. The 351 Cleveland that the seller claims Ford stuck in those select few dents from the factory. I can't count how many times a seller claims that his 351m is a high performance factory installed Cleveland.
Yes,that's right,forgot it and i have had a couple of the 351Ms and they never did change for me, Ha Ha ,must have been a couple of slackers.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM
thatK30guy
Senior User
I got a '73 or '74 SCS about two years ago for $500 and I'm in smack dead center of Kansas!

Mine was in comparable condition as this one but I drove it home considering it had a 390 and C6. All I wanted from it was the D70 rear to swap into my Highboy. I put the HB D60 back under the SCS and sold it back out for the same what I paid for it.

I'm proof that not everything is peachy in Kansas like the seller was claiming it to be. Just about everything around here is 50/50.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 PM
thatK30guy
Senior User
Oh yeah, forgot to add that as much stuff I've gotten for the past 25 years here in Kansas, that truck at the top is an $800 sale, no more than $1000. Good luck to that WV seller with it.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 PM
bigwheel15
New User
I like how any truck not running well for whatever reason, its always explained away with "the carb just needs a rebuild kit" and/or "just a tune up should have it running great."

Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 AM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fmc400
While I do share your frustration in general, I don't think his asking price is too far off.

You said the truck does not run, but the ad says the truck runs well but is in need of a tune up (unless I am missing something). The rust looks like "patina" rather than cancer, which is actually sought after by some people. Either way looks like surface rust that could be saved. No major dents that I could see. I could easily see someone offering $2500 in my area, I wouldn't think it would be any less where he is. However, you mentioned that it would go for far less where you and he are located based on what else is for sale - so it's all relative. Agreed that the "friend" he mentions is an idiot.
Thats really a $2500 truck in Austin? Keep it weird........

Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bamaf150
Thats really a $2500 truck in Austin? Keep it weird........
You bet. Go 100 miles in either direction and all of that changes. Classic vehicles in Austin are relatively rare compared to the other major cities in Texas because Austin has grown so quickly in the last two decades. Therefore, the amount of people here now vs. the amount of people here back then is very different - smaller population 35-40 years ago means fewer cars on the road at the time, and therefore fewer cars to stick around until now.

There are still plenty of classics around, but they typically go for higher because they are less common. Almost all of the cars you see out around town are fewer than 10 years old - most people here drive SUVs or Prius.

Quick Reply: Why do craigslist sellers who say "I know whats its worth" NEVER know what its worth?