Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

B.E.S.T. Map

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:12 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I also started something like this many months ago in the SoCal chapter.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ember-map.html

Comes complete with mobile device support, and PM links built in for easy access.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:34 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
That right there is precisely why I made a new thread... I was afraid any announcement in the old thread might fall off the reading list of those who already posted. I wanted everybody to have the opportunity to be removed. I also like the general location approach with a link on the forum. One would need to be a forum member to PM or openly request help, so this helps to minimize the crackpot invasion... and the lack of specific information all but kills the potential for abuse.
My experience with pretty much the same thing trumps your opinion.

This isn't the facebooks, we shouldn't have to opt-out of your google map, you should ask permission or let members add themselves if they want to.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by honeydew
My experience with pretty much the same thing trumps your opinion.

This isn't the facebooks, we shouldn't have to opt-out of your google map, you should ask permission or let members add themselves if they want to.
You are correct... I made a judgement call, then I announced what I had done and offered to do the legwork to undo it. There will be a few who want off the map, but I estimated it would be less work removing the few as opposed to adding a lot of them piecemeal. I harken back to my digital documention collection for experience with this... I still get plenty of PMs requesting access to the library and I've steamlined the process.

If uploading the locations within a city are found to be offensive by several people, I'll undo the offensive act and apologize to everyone. Until that time, please accept my sincere apology for offending you.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:40 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've added myself to the map

Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM
roadrnnr
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tugly, I can't seem to figure how to add myself to the map. Can anyone help?

Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I dropped you off at the La Quinta Inn in Pequannock, NJ. You should be able to select the red "EDIT" button, move your balloon, then hit "DONE"

Welcome to the club!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have administrative rights to the RHN database...hmmm...I just tried to add a fictitious member using my email address and I expected to receive a response from the database. Nothing to this point. I was involved in resurrecting RHN years ago with Jim and Jason Decker, but time got to be a problem for me (I was driving a lot more) and net access problems at my NM home. I just emailed Jim to discuss the addition of new members...we shall see.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by roadrnnr
Tugly, I can't seem to figure how to add myself to the map. Can anyone help?
Drag the map to N Jersey and zoom in on your neighborhood. then just follow the numbers I threw together real quick.
1. click on the blue hot air balloon.
2. Drag it to your street.
3. Fill out you info
4. click save, and you should be on the map

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 AM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim has been spending a lot of time with his mother who is not doing well medically. It may take a few days or a few weeks for you to get a response from him.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Old thread, but a really cool idea. I found the link in Franko72's signature and took the liberty of adding myself to the list. I think if something was posted in the Super Duty forum you'd get lots more participation because you don't have to own a 7.3L to have a decent scan tool.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
True, but I barely know the other Fords. I could show up with an AE, get a reading, then scratch my head... I'm unsure how much help that is. It merits additional thought and discussion because it's a good idea.

Thanks for the participation and the input!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
True, but I barely know the other Fords. I could show up with an AE, get a reading, then scratch my head... I'm unsure how much help that is. It merits additional thought and discussion because it's a good idea.
But remember it's not always about the engine. I can't tell you how many times in the Super Duty forum someone comes on with a flashing O/D light complaining that their Actron is showing no codes. Chassis codes, transmission codes, ABS codes, and lots of others just aren't visible without a good scan tool.

Heck, you can even pull the keypad entry code with an AE scan tool. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many have come on asking how to find their code within the last year.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Crazy001
But remember it's not always about the engine.
You make a good point. Upon reflection, I can think of scenarios where the driver without AE knows enough about his engine, but just needs a little help from a nearby member.

When I get enough free time, I can post something over there.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 PM
takotruckin
Senior User
You can add me too. Clovis, CA. Snap On tools, and I'm a pro wrench so I know how to use em.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:58 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I'm bringing this back from the archives, because it has far more reads than any other version of this thread. FORScan has changed the game. There was a group of people who spent hundreds of dollars on a decent OBDII scanner, and they offered to help those who could not afford such a tool. Now... everybody can afford the tool, but many don't know it exists - and even more won't know how it even if they had it. So... guys... thoughts? Should we update the B.E.S.T. map with those willing to help a brother out with their newly-acquired tools and skills?

Quick Reply: B.E.S.T. Map