Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2012 F150, 4th time in shop! Now intercooler!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 PM
B's FX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so here is a question....is the flex with this motor in it having the same issues? maybe has something to do with fwd/awd? just seems like flex owners would be having same moisture issues? I was thinking of buying a ecoboost but 5L sounds like the safer play but even still with the clunks and shudder idk anymore? so ford can market the crap outta the torture test video and then something like this slips through?

Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 AM
fortex
Freshman User
I was on the fence to trade or sell my Tundra 5.7, but I thing I better look else were, this IC issue seems to be a pain for some owners, and I don't want a be one of them, don't care how slim of a chance to get a lemon there is.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Jr.Ranger-04
Senior User
Originally Posted by fortex
I was on the fence to trade or sell my Tundra 5.7, but I thing I better look else were, this IC issue seems to be a pain for some owners, and I don't want a be one of them, don't care how slim of a chance to get a lemon there is.
I personally would not touch the eco for at least 3-4yrs, the tundra has a proven solid drivetrain, only downside is mileage sucks

Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Audacious7
New User
I've been keeping an eye on this problem and actually have talked to a few people up here in the North East (Long Island) that have the same problem. What really surprised me is an Eco Boost tried to race my Ram the other day and we were both going about 55 on the highway and it accelerated and black smoke came out the back like a diesel....???

I might try to ask for a Ford F150 considering I gotta take my Ram in to get the hood repainted thanks to hurricane Sandy. See if they will gimme one as a loaner.

Also on a side note for rough transmission shifting when cold. My Ram does it as well. Kinda annoying. My 87 Dodge Ram and 97 F250 don't do that. I miss the old days of just pressure controlled transmission shifting. None of this computer bull.

Funny enough though. My Ram's owner manually actually says "Rough cold shifting" is normal and should be expected. Something to do with helping to warm up the engine and reduce wear on the transmission.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
i gotta ask - did you race him and what year/engine is your Ram.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Audacious7
New User
12 Ram 5.7 Hemi. I raced "her" lmao up till 90. I don't beat on my vehicles so I left it at that. I also didn't floor it. Just stayed next to them until 90 and then faded away. Not trying to get a speeding ticket going 90.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jr.Ranger-04
I personally would not touch the eco for at least 3-4yrs
To each his own... but people not having these issues like Tim (tseekins) and I will tell you this is the most incredible gas powered truck we've ever driven, and I've been driving Ford trucks for over 30 years.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,235 Likes on 811 Posts
Originally Posted by NASSTY
To each his own... but people not having these issues like Tim (tseekins) and I will tell you this is the most incredible gas powered truck we've ever driven, and I've been driving Ford trucks for over 30 years.
Likewise for me too. I've been driving Ford trucks exclusively since 1984 and my dad's since before then.

I've owned all the gas engines except 460, all the transmissions and this is the by far the most enjoyable, powerful, economical and reliable truck that I've ever owned.

I can't see me ever owning another Ford that does not have an ecoboost engine under the bonnet.

Yes, there are some growing pains and I'm very sorry for those who have been affected. However, making a decision not to buy something based on a few negative internet posts is lacking a full research effort. The internet is where people come to complain and share their negative experiences and search for an answer.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Audacious7
12 Ram 5.7 Hemi. I raced "her" lmao up till 90. I don't beat on my vehicles so I left it at that. I also didn't floor it. Just stayed next to them until 90 and then faded away. Not trying to get a speeding ticket going 90.
Off topic, but that right there I find hard to believe. I had a clown in a new Hemi sport truck, reg cab/short box egg me on a month ago. Off a light to about 140km/h where we both quit he didn't stand a chance. My truck probably outweighed him by 1k# or more, running a small lift and 34" tires...

Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I can't see me ever owning another Ford that does not have an ecoboost engine under the bonnet.
I'm with you on this. My next step if away from an Ecoboost would be to a diesel, but only if I really need it and can justify it.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Audacious7
New User
I have the cold air intake and cat back exhaust. Not to mention I'm a regular cab short bed. My truck is light and hella fast.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM
wwest
Junior User
Originally Posted by 96sherm
Is there some way to design a water/air seperator?

Yes.

But not only that, Ford even has a US patent for such a design. Airflow shield over the water puddling "well" and a vapor/vacuum/suction tube to "wick" water out of the "well".

Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Boston73
New User
Originally Posted by 3f150
I'm in the process of Lemon Law, been in shop for 34 consecutive days, done with it.
That's what we did, we went to our local Better Business Bureau and they fought Ford with the Lemon law. We had a conference call with Ford with our arbitrator. Ford denied problems except we got an "expert" on the phone and he admitted there was a problem and that our truck would be a very good candidate for the new intercooler. Our arbitrator ruled in our favor and gave Ford 30 days to fix the truck, the 30 days is up on the 23rd. They said the intercooler is on backorder and asked us for an additional 2 weeks to repair the truck and we said no. I would think the arbitrator will order that ford buy the truck back. Our lemon law says we get what the truck was worth when the problem started (at 1250 miles, Jan 2012) minus mileage. We'll find out on the 23rd or the following Monday what will happen. Ford has been less than helpful with us and claimed nothing was wrong with the truck. If you need to file lemon law check with your Better Business Bureau and see if they offer the free help we got, they have been awesome!!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 PM
fortex
Freshman User
Good for you that the BBB is helping you out to have your problem resolved, at the end you pay for a good working vehicle and got short changed, fair is fair, not everybody is having this kind of problem, but when you do you expect the manufacturers to step to it and make right, the fact that ford id not being forward to make it right bothers me. I had a 6.0 f250 that i should have pursued the lemon law, even though ford took care of it for the full warranty it was a pain to deal with it. As much as I like the eco B, i'm so concerned that makes it difficult to purchase one now.
Come on Ford make it right, so we don't have to deal with a POS.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,235 Likes on 811 Posts
Originally Posted by Boston73
That's what we did, we went to our local Better Business Bureau and they fought Ford with the Lemon law. We had a conference call with Ford with our arbitrator. Ford denied problems except we got an "expert" on the phone and he admitted there was a problem and that our truck would be a very good candidate for the new intercooler. Our arbitrator ruled in our favor and gave Ford 30 days to fix the truck, the 30 days is up on the 23rd. They said the intercooler is on backorder and asked us for an additional 2 weeks to repair the truck and we said no. I would think the arbitrator will order that ford buy the truck back. Our lemon law says we get what the truck was worth when the problem started (at 1250 miles, Jan 2012) minus mileage. We'll find out on the 23rd or the following Monday what will happen. Ford has been less than helpful with us and claimed nothing was wrong with the truck. If you need to file lemon law check with your Better Business Bureau and see if they offer the free help we got, they have been awesome!!
I'm glad that worked for you. These trucks are way too expensive for us to tolerate poor service or "no fix".

If it were me, I'd allow Ford to fix the truck and , and attach a 10 year 150K mile full power train warranty from the fix date. This would be an act of good faith. Nissan did it on the four cylinder Altima a few years ago.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150, 4th time in shop! Now intercooler!