Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2012 F150, 4th time in shop! Now intercooler!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:37 PM
3f150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see you have a Race Red Supercrew FX4, that's exactly what I have....What kind of mileage do you get?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Butl85
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I usually average about 19.5. Last 4 months 80% or more of my driving has been at 25mph or less and I am at around 17.5. If I reset it before a trip with a lot of highway driving and keep mpg on my mind I can get around 21. What do you get?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 PM
SiLkk
New User
Originally Posted by 3f150
Service guy called me, installed new intercooler, test drove it and it still does it!!!
So what did they say is next?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Audacious7
New User
I actually own a 12 Ram with the Hemi. Kinda glad I got it after seeing the issues the Eco Boost has had. I knew a V6 producing better numbers then my 5.7 Hemi had to have a catch. Anyways no truck is without its problems.

Goodluck with your truck. At least your dealer is definitely taking care of you. More then some Dodge dealers do for their customers.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Butl85
Glad I bought the 5.0. 30k hard miles and not a bit of trouble.
Glad I went 5.0 too, I almost got The EcoBoost but the music played from the V8 reeled me in. I will admit, I have 16k on my 2011 and it hasn't been perfect. I have not had one problem with the 5.0 itself, but since I've owned the truck I have had to take back to the dealer for these items.

1) Slip/ bump in the driveline three times, dealer greased twice per Ford recommendation, then replaced entire drive-shaft and carrier bearing. While its still not 100% it only bumps once or twice a month now when it was daily before.

2) Right front shock absorber started to come apart, never hit anything and truck is a bone stock 2wd.

3) Got an appointment this upcoming Monday because my Air/ cond & Heating control only works on high speed, read on here that its a common problem, fan speed resistor etc....

When I bought this truck & the lemon 2011 Ranger I had before it I was really trying to do the "right thing" and buy American. I got to be honest I've owned three Toyota Tacomas previously for my business, drove all three over 90k and also never turned a screw or wrench on any of those trucks.

This 2011 F-150 is my favorite truck yet because of the way it drives and how comfortable the cab is. But I can't afford to lose work by always having it in the shop. I don't get it, I did my part by helping American workers keep their job, but Ford wants to keep me from doing my job.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Audacious7
I actually own a 12 Ram with the Hemi. Kinda glad I got it after seeing the issues the Eco Boost has had. I knew a V6 producing better numbers then my 5.7 Hemi had to have a catch. Anyways no truck is without its problems.

Goodluck with your truck. At least your dealer is definitely taking care of you. More then some Dodge dealers do for their customers.
Will say this though, I've never had better service than what I get at my local Ford dealer, not sure if its because I also bought my truck new there, but they seem to always roll out the red carpet for me.

My service advisor always gets me a rental when I bring the truck in eventhough I think he said Ford only comps a rental for the first year or 12k miles... they always keep me informed and in the loop on repairs, and have never made me feel like I'm wasting their time when I ask if a tech or foreman can ride around the block with me to help diag an issue.

When I was going through all the problems I had with my Ranger it was the same deal and even then they knew when enough was enough of trying to fix the same issue over and over again which is how I landed in a new F-150 in the first place.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Glad I bought the 5.0. 30k hard miles and not a bit of trouble.
I've had my EB for over 1.5 years and haven't had any issues at all. I'm glad I bought the EB.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 AM
3f150
Freshman User
I usually average about 19.5. Last 4 months 80% or more of my driving has been at 25mph or less and I am at around 17.5. If I reset it before a trip with a lot of highway driving and keep mpg on my mind I can get around 21. What do you get?
Basically the same as you. I had that gut feeling not to go with this engine. When something is tried and true like the V8, I just knew to go with it but I didn't. I will learn one day to pay attention to my instinct.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 AM
3f150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Glad I went 5.0 too, I almost got The EcoBoost but the music played from the V8 reeled me in. I will admit, I have 16k on my 2011 and it hasn't been perfect. I have not had one problem with the 5.0 itself, but since I've owned the truck I have had to take back to the dealer for these items.

1) Slip/ bump in the driveline three times, dealer greased twice per Ford recommendation, then replaced entire drive-shaft and carrier bearing. While its still not 100% it only bumps once or twice a month now when it was daily before.

2) Right front shock absorber started to come apart, never hit anything and truck is a bone stock 2wd.

3) Got an appointment this upcoming Monday because my Air/ cond & Heating control only works on high speed, read on here that its a common problem, fan speed resistor etc....

When I bought this truck & the lemon 2011 Ranger I had before it I was really trying to do the "right thing" and buy American. I got to be honest I've owned three Toyota Tacomas previously for my business, drove all three over 90k and also never turned a screw or wrench on any of those trucks.

This 2011 F-150 is my favorite truck yet because of the way it drives and how comfortable the cab is. But I can't afford to lose work by always having it in the shop. I don't get it, I did my part by helping American workers keep their job, but Ford wants to keep me from doing my job.
Same here wanted to buy a Ford, American company always been a Ford fan. I owned a 97 F150 2wd and a 2001 F150 4x4 supercrew in the past. They were both great trucks. Bought a Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crewmax in 08 and loved it. Never turned a screw on it 90k when I traded it. It drove as good the day I traded it as the day I bought it. After that great experience with the Toyota I had to really go against what I knew was a great product and trust Ford was just as good. My new truck does not ride nearly as good, my wife has commented several times she misses the Toyota ride. I really like the Ford though and wish none of us with this problem was experiencing it.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:51 AM
3f150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SiLkk
So what did they say is next?
He actually said he doesn't know because he was just positive this would solve it. He's been working (over the phone) with Ford engineers as well. So, who knows.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 AM
3f150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Audacious7

Yes, you are correct on that so far at least. The dealership has been great, it's not their fault this is happening.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Ford8502
More Turbo
Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
From what I have read, the new IC is to correct the "fall on it's face" limp issue. From at least one other person with the new IC design, it did resolve that. However his still has the highway shudder issue, and Ford told him they are working on a fix yet for that - expected in the next month I think. That shudder is tied to the torque converter/transmission, or the software that controls it. That explains why so many guys with 5.0 also have the shudder.
Time will tell.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 AM
3f150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Ford8502
From what I have read, the new IC is to correct the "fall on it's face" limp issue. From at least one other person with the new IC design, it did resolve that. However his still has the highway shudder issue, and Ford told him they are working on a fix yet for that - expected in the next month I think. That shudder is tied to the torque converter/transmission, or the software that controls it. That explains why so many guys with 5.0 also have the shudder.
Time will tell.
I think you are correct...I had that "fall on it's face" thing happen to me. Probably intercooler... I have told them from day 1 it feels like a transmission issue. It feels like a clutch slipping in a manual shift...So as you said, probably torque converter. The loaner I'm driving is V8 and I think I've noticed it a little in it but not nearly as bad. Haven't drove it as much though.
Update:
Just talked to service mgr and he said he had tested the torque converter, seems fine. They are going to have a engineer come to the dealership and check it out, he said he was out of ideas. He and I agree that it could be a programming issue, meaning these trucks try to get to 6th gear so fast and stay there too long it causes a issue. They set them that way so the RPM's stay down and they can publish higher mpg...Just a thought.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Butl85
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3f150
Basically the same as you. I had that gut feeling not to go with this engine. When something is tried and true like the V8, I just knew to go with it but I didn't. I will learn one day to pay attention to my instinct.
I was dead set on an ecoboost at first when I started looking. The idea of twin turbos on a stock truck was awesome. I had a good friend that kept telling me he did not know if he would trust a new motor like that. His thoughts and me driving a 5.0 for the first time had me convinced. Did not help that they had extra rebates on the 5.0 which made it even better of a deal. I was extremely mad the first time I test drove a 5.0 because me and the wife had just got in an argument. I got on it a little bit and I remember even being mad the sound of the motor put a smile on my face.

I'm not bashing the Ecoboost, just saying I myself would not touch one after reading about the issues until they get it all sorted out. Maybe when the next f150 comes out they will have improved on the design issues enough to convince me.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

so what we are saying is that the 5.0 never breaks down??
Sorry to hear about your issues, but my truck has 12K flawless miles on it and it's towed everything I've put on the hitch with not so much as a hiccup. I would buy the truck again in a heartbeat, still smile like a little kid every time I hammer on it.
Good luck with yours, hope it works out.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150, 4th time in shop! Now intercooler!