6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bulletproof Diesel Oil Cooler INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Canadianpowerstroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2112
What would you estimate the hours necessary for this swap?
ya what did that cost and how many hours

Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,742 Posts
Great thread Snake - thanks for doing such a good job and posting it here for us!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM
-Snake-
Junior User
Originally Posted by daddykitty
Fantastic thread!
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by TJK1
Wow!! Doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for sharing.
Happy to be able to contribute! Hopefully it'll help others in the future.

Originally Posted by cheezit
im unimpressed as you are not looking at apples to apples. your compairing a pluged stock cooler to a new "improved" for lack of a more correct term cooler.my stock oem cooler runs at 198/201 in texas summer temps. same cooler thats been on there for better then 60K. that cooler cost me less then $300 as well.
much less the post looks more like a sales pitch, but I will say it was well done.

Thanks, and my reasons for starting the thread were to provide some additional information about the install as well as point out what I see as the advantages of this kit. I think I should clarify that the primary objective of the Bulletproof kit is to provide an aftermarket option that maintains proper coolant and oil flow while eliminating the possibility of oil contaminated coolant and clogged oil coolers. A secondary benefit is that many people see reduced coolant temps, reduced oil temps, or both. I've seen several members on other forums question whether the Bulletproof kit will maintain ECT's and EOT's similar to an OEM cooler, and I believe they do based on my experiences.

Originally Posted by Great White X
Nice post seems as though it took tons of time and effort. Great job!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by berick
Detailed write-up! Good job.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by cay5628
Thanks Snake, great post, sent you props.
Many thanks!

What would you estimate the hours necessary for this swap?
Originally Posted by PattonC222
I am curious to approximate install time also. Well done sir.
Thanks, and that's a great question. Others with about the same level of wrenching experience as me (which is limited) have said around 12-13 hours from start to finish. More experienced folks have said 8-10 hours. My install was considerably longer because we also replaced the head gaskets and paused frequently to take pictures and notes.

Originally Posted by Canadianpowerstroke
ya what did that cost and how many hours
The price really depends on what options you choose (EGR upgrade and/or bypass oil filtration). www.bulletproofdiesel.com

Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 AM
-Snake-
Junior User
Originally Posted by bismic
Great thread Snake - thanks for doing such a good job and posting it here for us!

Thanks Mark! Really appreciate the positive feedback.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very impressive write up. It had to take a ton of time to do the photography and write this all up. Thank you.

I have a question more theoretical in nature. Is there a problem with not getting the oil up to temperature quickly? It seems like the oil viscosity would run pretty high during the first 15 minutes of engine operation(?). Any issues with running cooler during warmed up operation?

Doesn't BPD also offer a thermostat for the oil cooler?

I'm sure that IH/Ford like the compact oil/coolant heat exchanger for 2 reasons:

1) It is integral with the engine, making packaging and installation somewhat easier.
2) It brings the oil up to temperature much more quickly (i.e. coolant temps come up much more quickly than oil temps, especially with 4 gallons of oil).

Anybody with BPD oil cooler experience any issues?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Tuned
There is a cold weather package that has a T-stat bypass.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM
-Snake-
Junior User
Another great question. As mentioned in the post above, Bulletproof Diesel does offer a cold weather kit with a thermostat that routes the oil past the heat exchanger to help bring the oil temperature up more quickly. Once up to temperature, the thermostat routes oil through the heat exchanger and maintains a minimum oil temp of 180*. I considered buying the cold weather kit even though I live in Florida because I'd hate to tell someone that I couldn't drive to the mid-Atlantic states in December. The good folks at Bulletproof advised me that they recommend the cold weather kit if the average temperatures in your area during the winter are around 32*F. I searched for feedback on cold weather operation and haven't read of any complaints, and I believe there were a number of owners who didn't even have the cold weather kit.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts
I agree, great write up and thank you for the time you spent documenting! Reps.

.......but........I am with cheezit and have thought long and hard on this particular purchase myself. I am convinced this is a "NICE TO HAVE" and not a "MUST HAVE". The cost is pretty steep and not to mention the install required. I read through the PDF. I consider myself very mechanically inclined and have been deep into my engine, just not sure it is a worthwhile purchase like say for example a BPD EGR cooler....now that is a proven MUST HAVE.

I am a firm believer that with the addition of a coolant filter, proper coolant flush intervals and a new oil cooler (if needed) this sytem works well, and if montored will last many many miles.

I do have a question: If the oil is now cooled by air currents and you are in a situation where air currents are minimal or non existent (ex: wheeling at a crawl rate of speed in high heat) how does this system work then?

******what is with your intake manifold? I have never seen one modified like yours, looks interesting*******

Great job and good luck

Joe

Old 10-15-2012, 01:23 PM
-Snake-
Junior User
Joe, really appreciate the feedback and questions. Like you, I also did a lot of research on this kit because it is a substantial investment. Ironically, I convinced myself this was a must have. I read entirely too many threads from people who maintained their coolant, installed a coolant filter, and still clogged an oil cooler. The situations that really pushed me to this kit were the folks who had an obstructed oil cooler, flushed their coolant, replaced their oil cooler, and the new one clogged within a matter of months. I had no appetite to continue to replace oil coolers, and the $300-400 price was only part of it. My time and keeping my truck operational as much as possible were equally important.

Regardng the performance in low air flow, high heat situations: I personally don't think that right now this kit would be ideal for a dedicated wheeling truck, and I told one of my good friends exactly that just a few weeks ago (he has a YJ with a 6.0 swapped in that's a 100% trail vehicle). The lack of air movement through the heat exchanger will adversely affect oil temperatures, but some folks have compensated for that through custom SCT tuning that engages the fan clutch at a specified EOT. Bulletproof is also testing different heat exchangers that might be more efficient in those types of situations.

The intake? That's a Stage 1 from Direct Injection Performance. It's a ported OEM manifold and Doug uses those billet lids (covers) to seal the manifold back up.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts
Snake,

I hear ya on the repeated clogged oil coolers....I've heard that as well. Last thing I want to do is tear the top of that b*tch off again and again LOL!

Yous seem like a pretty savvy guy and I personally would like to hear from your experience with this kit once it has been put to the test.

Do you tow heavy at all? I would be curious to see what your temps are while towing.

Good Luck
Joe

Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Tuned
Snake,

Was there enough room to put a low profile fan on the BPD heat exchanger? We could use one of the upfitter switches.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM
-Snake-
Junior User
Originally Posted by joe blow
Snake,

I hear ya on the repeated clogged oil coolers....I've heard that as well. Last thing I want to do is tear the top of that b*tch off again and again LOL!

Yous seem like a pretty savvy guy and I personally would like to hear from your experience with this kit once it has been put to the test.

Do you tow heavy at all? I would be curious to see what your temps are while towing.

Good Luck
Joe

Thanks again Joe. You seem like you're pretty saavy yourself. I don't tow heavy very often, but it was something I was also concerned about. During my research, I read several posts from a member on another forum who's been running this kit while towing heavier than most people ever will (his toy hauler weighs 18-20k lbs unloaded):

Originally Posted by jetjock15
.......my OEM cooler (brand new) couldn't keep up after my stud job and mods in sig. Pulling 18k in Vegas would ramp EOTs right into high 250s and throw wrench light for delta as ECT would be mid 235s. I switched to BPD which does a ton better, 20 degrees cooler not towing, 10-15 degrees cooler towing. Now, when I went up some ling grades with heavy loads, I'm overheating the Ext cooler also, but it does way better then OEM. I'm working with BPD to run Ext and liq/liq cooler.
Originally Posted by jetjock15
22.5k trailer, 32k gross (weighed- military move) Vegas to DC, ran average of 230 EOT, 220 ECT. 115 degrees, 8500ft climb up to flagstaff AZ, pulled over 5 times at 260 EOT. Once, no shoulder, hit 263 EOT and truck went into limp mode and threw wrench light. Once running in the flats of TX and OK, the EOT never broke 240 again.
I have hit 260 before in my trailers normal configuration, at about 18.5k, but with lighter trailers, I don't think you could reach the limits of the BPD. On previous mOve, AK to NM hauling 25k trailer, with stock cooler, I would get to 260 much easier. BPD works great, but for 40+ft toyhaulers in CA/NV/AZ, an additional liq/liq cooler would be beneficial.

Snake,

Was there enough room to put a low profile fan on the BPD heat exchanger?

Honestly, I don't think there's enough room behind the heat exchanger for a fan large enough to make a difference on our trucks. The YJ I mentioned might be a different story. The only other option I can think of would be a fan in front of the A/C condensor, but that would be less than ideal in my opinion.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joe blow
I agree, great write up and thank you for the time you spent documenting! Reps.

.......but........I am with cheezit and have thought long and hard on this particular purchase myself. I am convinced this is a "NICE TO HAVE" and not a "MUST HAVE". The cost is pretty steep and not to mention the install required. I read through the PDF. I consider myself very mechanically inclined and have been deep into my engine, just not sure it is a worthwhile purchase like say for example a BPD EGR cooler....now that is a proven MUST HAVE.

I am a firm believer that with the addition of a coolant filter, proper coolant flush intervals and a new oil cooler (if needed) this sytem works well, and if montored will last many many miles.

I do have a question: If the oil is now cooled by air currents and you are in a situation where air currents are minimal or non existent (ex: wheeling at a crawl rate of speed in high heat) how does this system work then?

******what is with your intake manifold? I have never seen one modified like yours, looks interesting*******

Great job and good luck

Joe
I agree at this point with you that this is a "nice to have" thing but isn't a "must have." It's really quite expensive for what it is. I know the thermostat will help at least get the oil to its operating temperature, but without the coolant's help to warm it I feel it would take a decent amount longer. This was the same problem I ran into on my Audi S4. Without the coolant to help warm it it would take almost double the time to get to operating temperature, especially when it was cold outside. Unfortunately nobody out there has a kit yet that allows the coolant to continue to heat the oil while still using an air cooled setup.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
low coolant temps create excessive engine wear as well.
i guess for me is i can sling 3 oil cooler rebuilds a day. and still be in it for under 1,000.
with that said thanks for the read

Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 PM
-Snake-
Junior User
Certainly understand and can appreciate the difference in opinions. As is the case with many other aftermarket parts for the 6.0, some will it as critical preventative / corrective maintenance and others will say its not necessary: head studs, coolant filters, EGR deletes/upgrades, etc..

Cheezit - I'm guessing you meant low oil temps and not low coolant temps, and I agree. But if its that cold that you have to be concerned with low oil temps, you're probably also plugging your truck in. When combined with the cold weather kit, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how quickly the oil warms up (just based what I've read from people running this kit in colder climates, not on personal experience). Regardless, I don't think its a situation you'd encounter very often in Ft Worth.

Quick Reply: Bulletproof Diesel Oil Cooler INSTALL