6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My second go at the oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jh225
Yeah, ummm. My 2012 has a composite with the big plug. Nov.2011 build.

As for draining the oil and filter. You guys are putting WAY to much effort into it. Go to the parts store, buy a big enclosed pan (15qt?) for a few bucks, crack the big plug and while holding onto it just pull it out a little bit. Drain it as fast or as slow as you wish.

The filter is also simple. Take the drain pan, put it under the filter and just unscrew it a few turns until oil starts leaking out. Leave it like that and walk away for a minute or two. Come back, unscrew it, drain whats left, replace it, done.

What is so hard about that? 10 minute process at most.
I have 2 15QT enclosed pans. As I previously stated these do not work IF you are trying to be neat about it. I prefer not to have a oil stained garage floor or driveway if I can help it.

Now, I will try your method of holding onto the plug to control oil flow next time, if I don't have a new valve of some sort.

The oil filter is another animal as well. I did just as you described but was not expecting as much oil that did come out after the filter was totally removed. My mistake was my bucket was not in place when this happened. The 5 gallon bucket does not leave you enough room to get your hand on the filter if the bucket is directly under it.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 PM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
I have 2 15QT enclosed pans. As I previously stated these do not work IF you are trying to be neat about it. I prefer not to have a oil stained garage floor or driveway if I can help it.

Now, I will try your method of holding onto the plug to control oil flow next time, if I don't have a new valve of some sort.
Not to be rude, but you say that the enclosed pan does not work if you are trying to be neat, but then you go on to say next time you will try holding the plug to control the flow
What I am saying is by holding the plug, you will be neat
I did it that way and didn't spill a drop.

The oil filter is another animal as well. I did just as you described but was not expecting as much oil that did come out after the filter was totally removed. My mistake was my bucket was not in place when this happened. The 5 gallon bucket does not leave you enough room to get your hand on the filter if the bucket is directly under it.
Again, do NOT remove the filter until it has stopped dripping oil and then just unscrew it the rest of the way and pull it straight down.

Like the I said, you are overthinking.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,617 Likes on 1,445 Posts
I agree I don't think that the enclosed pans would work, if it were mine I would cut the top out. Mine is open so I can clean it up and use it for transmission oil, gear oil and anti-freeze. I have even used it as a small parts clean up pan. I also have a fairly large drip pan that I use when changing oil on my wife's 68 F250, of all things the drain plug drains on top of a cross member, it's a little hard to keep contained.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by jh225
Not to be rude, but you say that the enclosed pan does not work if you are trying to be neat, but then you go on to say next time you will try holding the plug to control the flow
What I am saying is by holding the plug, you will be neat
I did it that way and didn't spill a drop.

Again, do NOT remove the filter until it has stopped dripping oil and then just unscrew it the rest of the way and pull it straight down.

Like the I said, you are overthinking.
Yes, I can see where controlling the flow with your method would be neater. Less flow will allow the drain pan to accept the oil better instead of over flowing from the large fast volume of oil. I had to re-read your post

Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 AM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
Yes, I can see where controlling the flow with your method would be neater. Less flow will allow the drain pan to accept the oil better instead of over flowing from the large fast volume of oil. I had to re-read your post
There you go. Just let the pan fill almost to the rim, push the plug back in, let the oil drain down, repeat. The whole oil/filter change took no more than 10 minutes.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM
jim48
Elder User
Well at my advanced age of 64 I can't do an oil change in 10 minutes, however by not letting go of the drain plug I can do it with no mess. If you perform the oil change when the oil is just warm not hot you don't even have to worry about the hot oil on your fingers. I just buy a box of the cheap disposable rubber gloves and use them when doing oil changes.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 AM
JimmyInDenver
New User
A trick I learned on my '02 7.3 was after draining the oil to take an old Buck knife and punch a hold in the bottom of the oil filter to let it drain before taking it off. It sucks to loosen a filter and have hot oil run down the sides and thus down your arm. This prevents that from happening.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 AM
bocomojoe
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is how I changed the oil filter on my my 7.3. I cut the top off of a 2 liter soda btl, loosened filter just enough to loosen by hand, slipped soda btl over filter and loosened it more to let oil drain into soda btl, finished taking filter off leaving filter inside the 2 liter btl. It worked well for me. I haven't changed the oil on my 6.7l yet, but soon, so I'll see it this will work. My question, how much more oil drains out when the filter is completely removed?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not enough to mess up your plan joe.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
I bought one of these and they work great. Got wheels to roll around and can stand it up on end. Slides right under truck and holds multible oil changes..

Crude Control Oil Drain Pan - GEMPLER'S

Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
I bought one of these and they work great. Got wheels to roll around and can stand it up on end. Slides right under truck and holds multible oil changes..

Crude Control Oil Drain Pan - GEMPLER'S
Very cool. Not $110 cool, but cool none the less.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 AM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a 2012 with a metal pan I would highly recommend the fumoto valve. I got the one with the 90 degree spout so it drains strait into your pan.I've always used these and they are awesome. I do miss the canister filter on my old 6.0. That was a super clean super easy oil change. But the 6.7 isn't bad with the valve and punching the filter.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f316l-valve.html

Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the open top (although I have a couple of the closed top too) from WalMart.

Walmart.com - Save money. Live better.