Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 AM
newguy72
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Questions

Disclaimer: I am asking two questions because they might be related
Number One:
I have an issue with starting my truck when it is facing uphill; this issue is only when it has sit in the incline position for a decent amount of time. It happens when the fuel tank is full (not exclusively), and it sounds like it just runs out of fuel. When in this position i have to rev the engine and push down on the throttle until the truck is level, and after a minute of being level it sounds like it is in high idle but until that minute is over it sounds absolutely awful. This just started happening, any suggestions at what the problem would be?
Number Two:
My boss just asking me the other day if i was leaking diesel b/c he smelled the fumes by truck. I just noticed it too the other day when getting home from work that it smells like diesel when walking into my house. I did notice a little drip about a foot in from the rear of the front passenger side tire and thought it might be the a/c condenser dripping condensation b/c i like to blast it on my way home since i work in the sun all day. Any suggestions or advice on ways to make sure the leak is a leak and not condensation?

Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 AM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What condition are your return lines in? facing uphill could draw more negative pressure on any return line leaks and suck air into your system, and it runs like hell while that air is getting purged out. That area of your leak (pass side between engine and trans) is a classic location for return line diesel leaks to drip, but is also where your a/c accumulator will drip. to tell the difference smell or taste it. You won't have a hard time determining which it is. Fuel will feel "oily" too. Heavy fuel smell during or after driving is also a classic condition of leaking return lines.

Could also be a failing lift pump. Engine being uphill from the tanks is more weight for the pump to pull.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,140 Likes on 2,191 Posts
i agree. it soulds like return line air intrusion. that is exactly what my 88 will do when the returns start going bad.