Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What upgrades should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM
JustinXTLR
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What upgrades should I get?

I need some opinions from you guys. Y'all are much more knowlagable then me. I've got my 01 7.3 4x4 with a 6637, AIH delete and straight piped. My truck has now be turned into a towing machine for work. I tow anywhere from 2k- almost 20k. And yes I know the 20k is a lot for my single wheel, but by god she does it! So far towing the 20k I haven't had any over heating problems"that I know of" I'm about to pick up a set of gauges before any mods are done. But where from there? For y'all that live in georgia you know what the highways are like and that's where I spend most of my time towing the heaviest weight. I know a tuner is probably my best and first option but which one? The ts is cheap, dp can get expensive. Cost isn't my main concern. It is realibility that I am worried about. Any info can help me out. Otherwise I'm just gonna start throwing parts at it!!! Thanks everyone!

Edit I forgot to add that the tranny is pretty much bullet proof. I had it rebuilt and upgraded earlier this year.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Just something to factor into the decision process: DP has the Decel tune - a real brake-saver if there are any hills.

Gauges - EGT, transmission temp, and boost are minimum. Knowing what I know now, I'd go with a fuel pressure gauge as well.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM
JustinXTLR
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Just something to factor into the decision process: DP has the Decel tune - a real brake-saver if there are any hills.

Gauges - EGT, transmission temp, and boost are minimum. Knowing what I know now, I'd go with a fuel pressure gauge as well.
Good point, the trailer I tow the weight with is a duel wheel duel axle trailer with some amazing trailer brakes!! Haha but I have heard of the decel tunes being a safety issue??? What about an exhaust brake? I do believe I want one just for the sound they make! Also stopping really hasn't been a major issue. I tend to let the truck slow itself and then ease on the brake rather then stomping on them and praying the heat does not melt my pads away!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 AM
togobefastguy
Senior User

yes guages first, then a good tuner, an over boost anialator, a wicked wheel. and then a full exhaust. those are good easy mods and a great start.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Definitely take a look at PHP's new Hydra: Power Hungry Performance - Hydra Chip

Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 PM
JustinXTLR
Junior User
What about injectors? This truck is also my daily driver and chick magnet! So I'm still looking for economy but the power for towing and the smoke when I want to show off what these 7.3's are built of.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Oh.... You mentioned work - this is the first I've heard of play.

I'm not up to 100% yet with my truck, but click that first link in my signature and you'll see a vid of an 80e run with stage II injectors (AC 160/100). There are a number of mods made to the truck to get ready for this... it ain't exactly cheap.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:34 PM
JustinXTLR
Junior User
It's a duel purpose truck and I'm living by the moto capable but practicable. I'm looking for the best mods for both worlds. Daily driver, but something that can tow the weight at work.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Skip the WW unless you have a turbo surge issue. Its a downgrade from stock compressor wheel. There is no performance benefit over what you have now by going to a 4" exhaust system. Save your money for something 'that matters' here!! The 6637 is hard to beat for economy and performance.

Definitely (4) gauges like Tugly suggested. Fuel Pressure is an awesome diagnostic tool and will also tell you when its time to change the fuel filter.

Watch your trans temps, and if ya see high temps - get a 6.0 trans cooler. An upgraded valve body may also be a good idea to help keep that stock trans together a little longer.

If you are considering upgrading injectors, a Gearhead 6pos chip is a good choice since he offers free re-burns. (and some tuners are just better than others... )

As far as injectors go, ya can't beat Stage 2's (160/100's) for power and towing performance with low EGT's. Of course to get the most out of them, you're gonna need a new turbo. When you get to that point, a T4 turbo set-up is pretty economical (compared to Int'l bellowed up-pipes and a 38R) and has literally unlimited options.

There is no comparison for a 'real' exhaust brake.

Also put the 'in-tank mods' on your list (search Hutch and Harpoon mods).

Some may recommend FRx or HPx, but IMHO these are over-rated and your money is better spent elsewhere.

The biggest thing you wanna do is make sure it RUNS RIGHT now. No boost or drive pressure leaks, up-to-date maintenance on trans/t-case/diffs, etc, etc...

On the 'towing heavy' front, I'd also strongly recommend EBC Yellowstuff brake pads. If your rotors are warped, I recommend O'Riellys 'lifetime warranty' rotors - those drilled, slotted, cryoed and otherwise molested rotors won't help ya stop any faster AND don't have a walk-in-the-store-and-trade'm-out FOR LIFE warranty!! As a minimum, make sure all your slide pins stay lubed and change the brake fluid every once in awhile.

Still think 'cost isn't a concern'?? I can come up with more ways to spend your money!!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM
JustinXTLR
Junior User
Haha thanks for the details. Cost really isn't an issue. Being a hard worker at my young age has paid off greatly. Can't beat being 21 and debt free!! I was planning for this truck to be a long term project anyways. Like I said though braking hasn't been an issue yet. I am **** when it comes to my brakes. I almost always replace my rotors when I replace my pads. I know it's over kill but I have been in a truck and the brakes gone completely out. I would rather spend the extra money and in my head be happier. I should hopefully be getting my gauges soon. To make sure everything is running right before I go with the mods