Sponsored by:

Importing Excursion to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Importing Excursion to Canada

Has anyone imported an Excursion from the US to Canada? I'd like to do this but am having a hard time finding any real information on doing it.

Thanks for any help
John

Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
There is a Canadian user on this forum, that might be able to help you.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Curt's05
There is a Canadian user on this forum, that might be able to help you.
Wouldn't you just have to get it inspected once it's here?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have not done this myself, but heard it is fairly easy process.

Make sure title is in hand. You will need to add daytime running lights, and get inspection. I think you have 30 days for that tho.
You can call Canada customs office and get info also.
Are you driving across or importing?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
My plan is to ship it to family in buffalo and drive it across. I made some calls yesterday and it seems fairly straight forward. I need to email the vehicle information to US customs 72 hours before I cross to check it isn't stolen or liens against it.

The car I'm looking at has a lien against it from when it was bought new in 2001, I have no idea how that could still be listed. Any ideas on how to check it that will be an issue?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I remember the days when the exchange rate was very favorable for us in the US and there were a lot of Excursions purchased in Canada and brought down here in the States. Just needed a speedo swap. I actually looked at doing it myself and the process seemed very simple.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jspence105
My plan is to ship it to family in buffalo and drive it across. I made some calls yesterday and it seems fairly straight forward. I need to email the vehicle information to US customs 72 hours before I cross to check it isn't stolen or liens against it.

The car I'm looking at has a lien against it from when it was bought new in 2001, I have no idea how that could still be listed. Any ideas on how to check it that will be an issue?

You would have to call the DMV of the state that the title is issued in. They can do a quick check to give you an all clean. If a lien is still on the title and no signed Lien Release is shown on the title you will likely have some delays in clearing the border check point.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 AM
ramsay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ex came from Deleware. Bought it off Ebay. I had it shipped to a family member close to the border and drove over and picked it up. Make sure you have all your paperwork in order before you get to US customs. They have to stamp the title as being exported. You can only get this done with proof of clear title like a letter from the loan/lienholder if there was a loan or lien on the vehicle or claer title with no lien/loan holders listed. RIV canada has all the info you need. Not difficult at all. PM me if you need a hand.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
The title is on its way! FedEx to deliver it on Tuesday, so I expect to see it on Wednesday. The replacement seat belt is on it's way and we should be good to go. Hope to have it home on Thursday.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Great to hear, John! Now you can wake up every morning and stare at it in YOUR driveway while you eat breakfast...

Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
I have springs, and a sway bar that need installing. It's going to keep me busy

Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM
mblayton
More Turbo
It's a piece of cake. Just make sure U.S. customs has the title 72 hours before hand. You will need to enter the RIV program once here, it will need daytime running lights dual speedo. If the truck does not have the daytime running lights you can buy LED style ones off ebay and a whole lot cheaper than the modual from Ford.

I buy all my cars in the U.S. and brought a '05 Navigator here last March.

As long as you follow the directions you will not have an issue, Title can be faxed to U.S. customs just bring the original when you drive the truck accross. Also you mentioned shipping to the U.S. side then drive it over ONLY the Lewiston bridge does vehicle imports (Canada customs website says Peace as well) Not true ONLY Lewiston.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:06 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mblayton
It's a piece of cake. Just make sure U.S. customs has the title 72 hours before hand. You will need to enter the RIV program once here, it will need daytime running lights dual speedo. If the truck does not have the daytime running lights you can buy LED style ones off ebay and a whole lot cheaper than the modual from Ford.

I buy all my cars in the U.S. and brought a '05 Navigator here last March.

As long as you follow the directions you will not have an issue, Title can be faxed to U.S. customs just bring the original when you drive the truck accross. Also you mentioned shipping to the U.S. side then drive it over ONLY the Lewiston bridge does vehicle imports (Canada customs website says Peace as well) Not true ONLY Lewiston.
I wasn't told that they needed the title before hand. All the information I have was vehicle description, make, model and VIN. I emailed it to them last week and received a confirmation saying that I could export the vehicle anytime after Oct 18. At that Time I would need the original title, and an original signed bill of sale.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM
ramsay
Senior User
Originally Posted by jspence105
I wasn't told that they needed the title before hand. All the information I have was vehicle description, make, model and VIN. I emailed it to them last week and received a confirmation saying that I could export the vehicle anytime after Oct 18. At that Time I would need the original title, and an original signed bill of sale.
mblayton is correct about the title to US customs 72 hours prior. Some crosings demand original some will accept faxes as long as you bring the original with you when you cross. Call ahead to confirm.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
I only sent the Description make model and VIN according to their instructions. I received a confirmation stating that I could export on the 18th. I certainly hope that nothing else is required this is the email I received after submitting the information.

This vehicle may be exported on or after 10-18-2012.

This e-mail response serves as your confirmation that CBP has received your vehicle export information. You may export the vehicle 72 hours from receipt of this e-mail during regular business hours. If you receive a response from us – Please do not resubmit the same VIN/Serial number – as it will be kept on file for 6 months.

Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are closed on all U.S. Federal holidays. We will be CLOSED on Monday November 12<sup>th</sup>, 2012 for Veterans Day, and Thursday November 22<sup>nd</sup>, 2012 for Thanksgiving.

The Lewiston Bridge is the only place to export a vehicle in Western New York .

Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada or be in Canada prior to being formally exported by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in 19 CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action.

Things required at time of vehicle export:

· The vehicle which is to be exported.
· Original title. Vehicles that have no title, (ex: snowmobiles, ATV’s, backhoes, forklifts, etc) must present a registration and/or bill of sale. Registration and/or bill of sale serves as your ownership (title). If there is noTitle for construction equipment or a vehicle that has no Title (ex: snowmobiles, ATV’s, backhoes, construction equipment, forklifts, etc) – then you must present an Invoice with an original signature from the seller. This requirement varies from state to state. It is your responsibility to determine what that state’s ownership requirements are.
· WHTI compliant identification for yourself and all parties with you.Please refer to the following website for information on WHTI compliant identification: http://www.getyouhome.gov/
· Lien release if a lien is present on the vehicle. Note:This can be done by having the finance company sign off on the original title itself (along with the finance company’s stamp) or an original letter from the finance company indicating that the lien is released. For those vehicles that are still being financed, you may present a certified copy of the title, along with an original letter from the finance company that states that the vehicle can be exported.
· This printed, e-mail confirmation including your original message to CBP.

Additional information can be obtained via the Vehicle Export information line (716)843-8359.

Quick Reply: Importing Excursion to Canada