General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rain

You know seems like every time we get a rain here we get a flood
Never can get just a good rain. We get floods and of course bad weather with it.. Been hurting my crops badly..Seems like we will never get a break...We need some Sun and Wind to get all this rain out,or I will have to start pumping some water out of the fields soon...

When it rains it pours.....Hows everyone elses state doing with weather?

Old 05-17-2003, 07:35 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain

Fayette County, TN - There is more flooding here than I have seen anywhere in a long while. I would say that between my home and the freeway, about 15 miles, there are but three fields with no flooding. Every little creek is trying to compete with the Mississippi. Last night we got enough rain to cover SR 59 in five places, swell a river I crossed yesterday empty, to a mighty torrent, half a mile over its banks. Two bridges are showing signs of stress, and the amount of trees down is depressing. We had a trio of tornadoes raging around here last night, all within a few miles of my door. That makes 12 this year - at this rate we are bound to get hit by one, by sheer volume of attempts.

Theo

Old 05-17-2003, 08:55 PM
number55
Junior User
Rain

about 5 inches this month....roughly 5 inches last month here
in central Iowa. Some say we are making up for the lack of
snow last winter,but with no sun,the corn seed will start to rot.
yesterday and today were warm,temps in the 70's so if it holds
for a week or week and a half we'll be okay.....hope you make
out okay Jim......Dave.......

Old 05-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Rain

Thank you number55

guess i'll pray for the best and prepare for the worest

Old 05-17-2003, 09:02 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rain

Hey Theo you can send some of that rain my way! We're not getting any here in Fla and it's killing my buisness.

Old 05-17-2003, 10:36 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Rain

We need some of that rain up here in northern Montana/southern Alberta cause we've been in drought for the last 5 years(but last we got quite a bit but it was to much at once-12 inches in 3 days)

Old 05-18-2003, 04:05 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rain

The farmer prays for rain. The golfer prays for sunshine.

Out here in southern California we have almost reached our normal rain fall. We're at 90% according the report in todays paper. For a while it looked like we were heading into another dry season. Last year we had some really bad forest fires. The timber was dry as chalk and it went up like a tender box. Now we seem to be getting enough water so the forest will come back to life. Plus we need a good snow pack in the mountains to help the farmers water their crops in the summer. So far, so good.

Bad news is that for this time of year the storm systems are comming a bit late. Which is not really bad for us but the storms we get now move east and are turning into that bad tornado weather we all see on the weather report. For the most part, it seems to be clearing up on the national weather map here out west. Maybe a little tropical moisture heading up our way it seems.

Old 05-18-2003, 04:39 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rain

How strange...
Here we are in late may, almost june, and off the coast last week as I looked out from the first class smoking deck I could have sworn we were in the north atlantic if I hadn't known better.

It looked and felt like late autumn or winter - grey clouds/overcast and a bit chilly. But no sooner did we pull in, than the thermo started to rise! Just in time for me to hike a mile with my seabag...

And every time I hear the word "tornado" I wonder what the heck is going on back home in Tennessee. There sure better be something left when I finally come home for good in another ten months, or I am gonna be one sorry individual. It wasn't that long ago that a twister lit down dead in the middle of Covington, right near the county courthouse...

I was thinking about the price of cement to put in a slab for a new garage out back, but I may need to think about building a storm shelter out there first!

Old 05-18-2003, 07:20 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rain

It's seems like it hasn't stopped raining here in central ohio, If it doesn;t rain in the daylight it rains from midnight to sunup. Had few good strong storms, but mostly just rain, the grass is all about 18 inches tall and too wet to mow. We sank the john deere 318, and had to get the 'ole Farmall H out to pull it out. Wish I had a finish mower on the H....... I'd get some grass cut then.

Old 05-18-2003, 06:13 PM
thefinis
New User
Rain

Out here in west Texas it is so dry the milo is starting to suck back into the ground. Rivers and lakes dry or going dry. Even the aquifers are drying up with 2 nearby towns that depend on wells for their water either hauling water or limiting it to no more than drinking and light household use. Early planted cotton up but now most are waiting for a rain or planting deadline.

Wish ya'll could send some of that rain our way we need a real frog strangler. Guess we will all just have to deal with whatever the Lord sends out way.

Nothing but diesel trucks

Old 05-18-2003, 06:36 PM
dutchtreat
Senior User
Rain

Today we added 2 more inches of rain to add to our collection.
Rivers, streams and ditches are way above flood stage. Some crops are actually drowning in the fields....that is.....the fields that the farmers could get into to plant.

Old 05-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Rain

thefinis

Man If I could send ya'll some rain I sure would send it your way..We have gotten way to much for this time of the year..Hope ya'll get your much needed rain soon

Old 05-18-2003, 08:55 PM
AggiePSD
Elder User
Rain

Shoot, send some of that rain here to South Texas too! Crops are drying up also. My boss was dry planting cotton last week, probably more for insurance than anything. Looks to be another hot and dry summer.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:08 PM
66 Ranger
Elder User
Rain

Here in the Texas Panhandle it is dry, dry, dry. We got an inch of rain thursday and that is the first moisture that has fallen since the snow in December. My wheat is dying or already dead and that makes no crop for the second year in a row. Sure makes my off farm income look good cause the farm ain't going to pay any bills again this year. We just about got torpedoed thursday night but they all went around us. Don't care much for the circular wind.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:27 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Rain

The photo below is of Trussville, Alabama. As far as I know, this has never happened before.
This May is on track to be the wettest month here since records have been kept.
I drove thru this in my F150. The water washed over the top of the hood.

Quick Reply: Rain