Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What kind of mileage are you 6.2 owners getting while towing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:21 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What kind of mileage are you 6.2 owners getting while towing ?

Thinking on getting one, I'm a diesel guy but Ford's offerings in that fall far short and the older ones are far from reliable now (got a 99 SD with a 7.3 now) to make long trips. My "other truck" is a 95 F150 with a 351 & E4OD I't ain't got the ***** for towing a travel trailer, nor the mileage either for long trips (got 6-8 mpg coming back from Colorado towing a T/Trl). In town mileage does not concern me, I haul gas (and diesel) and never buy the stuff, the boss supplys it for me. Lets here what y'all are getting out on the road towing.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:59 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are getting a 6.2 for milage...you are getting the wrong engine.
Here is a link to someone asking the same question.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-mileage.html

Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd make a bet that the 6.2 gets at least the same if not better towing mileage than the eb. Even if you don't you're not running 8-10mpg's worth of fuel through 213 cubic inches.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by Lectrocuted
I'd make a bet that the 6.2 gets at least the same if not better towing mileage than the eb. Even if you don't you're not running 8-10mpg's worth of fuel through 213 cubic inches.
On the other hand, you're not going to get 22+ out of a 6.2L while cruising empty.

It comes down to:

What does one want the most?
What kind of driving do you do the most?
Is fuel economy the most important concern over the life and employment of the truck?

Not knocking the 6.2L, it's a great choice for sure. But, what's the difference if you're feeding a 213 CI engine or a 380 CI engine and you're getting very similar power numbers?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
If you are getting a 6.2 for milage...you are getting the wrong engine.
Here is a link to someone asking the same question.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-mileage.html
It's apparent to me that you misunderstood the question. I am not concerned with mileage in general, but the mileage while towing. The Ecoboost is NOT an option here. Been there-Done that with engines that are too small and are tweaked for their max performance. I've been a truck driver now for 35 years and seen it all. Small, high strung engines do NOT hold up to heavy use (towing heavy loads). My wife's 08 T&C minivan will tow my travel trailer, but it will not do it in 6th gear and the mileage is horrible at 7 mpg. Not to mention the obvious damage being done towing at 4000 rpms to the engine and transmission. I don't care about fuel mileage while empty and/or running around town. I don't buy my gas in these instances.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tseekins
On the other hand, you're not going to get 22+ out of a 6.2L while cruising empty.

It comes down to:

What does one want the most?
What kind of driving do you do the most?
Is fuel economy the most important concern over the life and employment of the truck?

Not knocking the 6.2L, it's a great choice for sure. But, what's the difference if you're feeding a 213 CI engine or a 380 CI engine and you're getting very similar power numbers?
And yet another who failed to comprehend the question. Butt out, I'm never going to buy a 7000 lb truck with a tiny-assed V6 Kawasaki motorcycle engine . Anyone who does, thinking it's going to hold up to heavy towing is a moron.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Lectrocuted
Even if you don't you're not running 8-10mpg's worth of fuel through 213 cubic inches.
Wanna bet ?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by baddad457
And yet another who failed to comprehend the question. Butt out, I'm never going to buy a 7000 lb truck with a tiny-assed V6 Kawasaki motorcycle engine . Anyone who does, thinking it's going to hold up to heavy towing is a moron.

Your rudeness isn't appreciated, this is a friendly forum. Your question contradicts itself. You ask for towing MPG's and then you mention a couple times that gas mileage isn't an issue as you're not paying for it.

This is an open forum and EVERYONE has a right to weigh in. It's up to you to choose the info that satisfies your query.

In the future sir, if you're trying to capture a particular audience, then try posting to a narrower forum such as the 6.2L forum for this instance.

Good day sir.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tseekins
Your rudeness isn't appreciated, this is a friendly forum. Your question contradicts itself. You ask for towing MPG's and then you mention a couple times that gas mileage isn't an issue as you're not paying for it.

This is an open forum and EVERYONE has a right to weigh in. It's up to you to choose the info that satisfies your query.

In the future sir, if you're trying to capture a particular audience, then try posting to a narrower forum such as the 6.2L forum for this instance.

Good day sir.
I was quite specific in asking for mileage while towing. The fact that the answer you provided wasn't asked for was in itself rude in ignoring my question. Have fun with your EB V6.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your question has many answers. Are you towing 2 goose feathers on a flat runway or 10000# through the mountains? The 6.2 seems to get anywhere from mid single digits to mid teens regardless of towing or empty. Question answered, now lets address another issue...

I'll put up a fight for the Ecoboost... I don't care what the mileage is with either of the engines, but when MAX TRAILER TOWING CAPACITY presents itself with the Ecoboost V6, shove your "truck has to have a v8" attitude up your behind and allow the tiny assed kawasaki v6 prove that is is capable beyond many of our needs. I'll bet if you were to face the fact that a large V8 engine doesn't compensate for something lacking in your bodily composition, you would quite enjoy the feeling of the twin turbo'd Ecoboost.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:44 PM
honestcharlie56
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all he wanted to know was towing mileage..........I hope you find your answer!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Rifboy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 96sherm
..... I'll bet if you were to face the fact that a large V8 engine doesn't compensate for something lacking in your bodily composition, you would quite enjoy the feeling of the twin turbo'd Ecoboost.
This is the kind of remark that makes me think twice about visiting any forum.....
There is just no need! Time to grow up guys!

As to the Ecoboost, I am sure that it is a brilliant engine. Great power and decent mileage. Testing aside only time will determine just how durable the engine is.

The question I ask is what happens to the savings in fuel after you loose a turbo after six or so years? I drive 20000 miles a year. If I average 15mpg I use about 1333 gallons of fuel. Now say I buy an Ecoboost and my average goes up to 18 mpg for the same 20000 miles. Now I use just 1111 gallons of fuel a year. 222 gallons of fuel saved. At current local prices that equates to abour $825 a year in savings.

Repairs at retail for a failed turbocharger could eat up most or even all of those savings.

I have spent 30 + years maintaining/repairing turbo engines and I've seen a few turbo failures.....

Only time will tell.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:59 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Rifboy
This is the kind of remark that makes me think twice about visiting any forum.....

As to the Ecoboost, I am sure that it is a brilliant engine. Great power and decent mileage. Testing aside only time will determine just how durable the engine is.

The question I ask is what happens to the savings in fuel after you loose a turbo after six or so years? I drive 20000 miles a year. If I average 15mpg I use about 1333 gallons of fuel. Now say I buy an Ecoboost and my average goes up to 18 mpg for the same 20000 miles. Now I use just 1111 gallons of fuel a year. 222 gallons of fuel saved. At current local prices that equates to abour $825 a year in savings.

Repairs at retail for a failed turbocharger could eat up most or even all of those savings.

I have spent 30 + years maintaining/repairing turbo engines and I've seen a few turbo failures.....

Only time will tell.
Point well spoken. I too have dealt with "high strung" small displacement engines that while they do, do the job in the short run, they fail miserably in the long haul, under heavy loads. Every engine has a certain amount of power built into it, you can either take it all out at once (i.e. Ecoboost) or take it out over a longer period of time ( the 6.2 in this case) Not only will the EB loose a turbo (or two), but the damage done to the bottomend (bearings and journals) will shorten it's lifespan, that's a well proven fact, demonstrated time and time again, but a lesson that unfortunately has to be learned from experience by those who are suckered into buying these high strung motors. There's no replacement for displacement when it comes to long haul hauling. That is what I'm looking for in asking about the mileage under heavy loads. Like I said before, the wife's 08 T&C minivan's 4.0 V6 will tow too, but it's just a matter of time before it'll explode doing it, not to mention having to deal with the 7 mpg doing so.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 96sherm
Your question has many answers. Are you towing 2 goose feathers on a flat runway or 10000# through the mountains? The 6.2 seems to get anywhere from mid single digits to mid teens regardless of towing or empty. Question answered, now lets address another issue...
I CAN TELL JUST BY THIS QUESTION THAT YOU'RE CLUELESS. TOWING 10000 LBS THRU THE MOUNTAINS IS A CAKE WALK COMPARED TO TOWING A LIGHTER WEIGHT TRAILER THAT'S GOT THE AERODYNAMICS OF A BRICK WALL ACROSS THE WIDE OPEN SPACES OF SAY, WEST TEXAS WHEN YOU'VE GOT A 75% CHANCE THAT YOU'VE GOT A HEADWIND OR CROSSWIND. THE MOUNTAIN DRIVING WILL YEILD BETTER MILEAGE NUMBERS EVERYTIME AS YOU'RE ONLY USING FUEL 50% OF THE TIME WHEN GOING UPHILL.
I'll put up a fight for the Ecoboost... I don't care what the mileage is with either of the engines, but when MAX TRAILER TOWING CAPACITY presents itself with the Ecoboost V6, shove your "truck has to have a v8" attitude up your behind and allow the tiny assed kawasaki v6 prove that is is capable beyond many of our needs. I'll bet if you were to face the fact that a large V8 engine doesn't compensate for something lacking in your bodily composition, you would quite enjoy the feeling of the twin turbo'd Ecoboost.
Once again, another who's missed the point, or has yet to learn what happens to a small displacement engine that's tuned to maximum output when subjected to long haul, heavy load towing. Engines like this DO NOT last when subjected to long haul, heavy towing. That is proven FACT. And that is the ONLY reason I'm interested in the 6.2 and not the EB. You can huff and puff all you want in making your case for the EB, but you will never sell me on it. I've got 35 years and 4 million miles of trucking experience under my belt that tells me I'm right and you're wrong. So go ahead and enjoy your EB while it lasts. Let us know in twenty years how it held up.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rifboy

Only time will tell.
Blah blah blah what happens IF questions are grade school stuff. You can say that about any engine made these days. Who is to say you will suffer a turbo failure? There are problems with any engine and given enough time I am sure there will be a failure or two. The ecoboost motor has been out since 2009 and of course has had some problems...but I do not recall reading about turbo failures as of yet.

To the OP:
If you have been towing that long then you know that fuel milage is a very subjective issue depending on the terrain you drive and what exactly you are hauling...not to mention the frontal area of what you are hauling. What I might get for fuel milage will not be the same as you. Give the guys here a break...they are only trying to be helpful and my link was trying to help you get some kind of answer that you were looking for.

Quick Reply: What kind of mileage are you 6.2 owners getting while towing ?