1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Questions about changing the radius arm bushing on E350

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:31 PM
reem98
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about changing the radius arm bushing on E350

My 94 E350 needs both radius arm bushings replaced. What is the best way to do this repair. I see people saying you have to remove the entire radius arm, but is there any reason why I could not just remove the bracket that mounts to the chassis at the end of the radius arm. It's only mounted with 3 bolts and then once the large nut is removed on the end of the radius arm I can replace the bushings. Has anyone done this repair this way before?
thanks

Old 09-02-2012, 06:00 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I took the tire off first... then you loosen the big nut on the end of the radius arm...then you remove the 3 bolts on the frame and slide out the bracket and radius arm assembly...then replace the bushings and install the bolts loosely....Then you install the 3 bolts loose AND then the fun begins..I used big bars and a helper to pry the arm up and down / back and forth to get all three bolts in tight...lastly torque down the big nut....Somtimes you need to wiggle it around a little

Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 PM
tiopet
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used the largest impact wrench availlable and the damn nut still wouldn't come loose.
Ended up hoisting my van up and using an extended bar on a wrench. Then lowering the car down for extra power to loosen the nut.

If i had access to a gass torch it might have been easier, but then you need new nyloc nuts.

It is possible yes, so good luck.

Last edited by tiopet; 09-02-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Too late again
Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 PM
avenge
Senior User
I just did this on my 95 E150, removed the 3 bolts on the frame bracket but I also replaced the coil springs at the same time. I couldn't get the front radius arm nut loose but managed to remove and install the springs without loosening that nut.

The bushings were fairly easy.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might have to remove the cats and parts of the exhaust system on some vans to get to the passenger side bracket's nuts.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
the last time i read the books on this job, there were 2 methods listed: one for removing the brackets, and one for pulling the arm out of the bracket that couldn't be removed. on my van, the right side required a lot of exhaust removal to pull the bracket, so a come-a-long pulled the axle forward enough to remove the arm from the bracket.
some time later, i found that the axle bushings were also shot, the ones that mount the axle beam to the bracket on the frame. i advise changing them at the same time as the radius arm bushings. i noticed mine being bad when i was changing the shocks, and with the frame supported and the suspension stretched, i noticed about an inch of in-out movement of the axle beam. it was bad.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 AM
tiopet
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I suggest you change all the bushings on the front end at the same time.
You will definitely feel the difference in car handling after that.

But when I did it last time on my old van, the budget and time was the limit on how much work could be done at the same time, so I just changed the radius arm bushings.

Next time, I will plan ahead and have all parts availlable for complete bushing replacement, a few days of spare time, and an extra car for being mobile.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM
reem98
New User
Thanks so much for the input guys I just finished the job today. The right side was a pain due to the exhaust being in the way of the bracket bolts but he drivers side was really easy.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:15 AM
hoss73ford
Elder User
A ratchet and cheater bar has always worked for me and I'm not that muscular, sometimes I'm weak as water, lol.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:07 PM
nposyton
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reviving this thread as I am trying to replace these bushings (on a 2011 E-350, which I am pretty sure has a very similar if not the same setup) and am having trouble getting them out.

I took the bracket that is held by the three bolts to the frame out, took the bolt that holds the bushing to the control arm out and the arm is hanging down now. I am not setup to take the entire arm out as I do not have a proper spring compressor. I have tried hammering with a socket, using a puller, torched it, freeze-off, etc., no luck.

I just did the axle bushings which were a breeze compared to this. Any suggestions?

Old 11-13-2023, 05:01 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
The 2011 chassis will be slightly different but not so much this process would be significantly different. The radius arm does not have to be removed just to replace the bracket bushings so I'm not clear where you're having problems?

The I-Beam will move a bit backwards so is that the issue?

Old 11-13-2023, 09:20 AM
nposyton
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the response. Getting the bushing out of the arm is proving difficult as I do not have the proper tool I guess. I am guessing getting it in will be easier but have never done this on this vehicle. Suggestions?

Old 11-13-2023, 09:50 AM
nposyton
5th Wheeling
Old 11-13-2023, 12:11 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Try a Ball Joint Press with a correct size socket
Amazon Amazon
just pull the arm down so it clears the frame

Old 11-14-2023, 05:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
My apologies for previous post because my advice won't work for your particular arrangement Nposyton. The bushing I think you're fighting is similar to the front sway bar bushings installed in the pre-08 E-Series, those that are steel housings pressed into each I-Beam. Those have a rubber bushing inside a steel housing that's pressed into the I-Beam so you'll have to somewhat replicate the DIY removal process which entails crushing the steel housing after first removing the actual rubber bushing. Using the ball joint press would work to re-install new bushings OR you could search Energy Suspension or Prothane or Moog for DIY urethane bushings.

Quick Reply: Questions about changing the radius arm bushing on E350