6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Getting ready to order new turbo, what else should I replace/upgrade at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:57 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready to order new turbo, what else should I replace/upgrade at the same time?

Howdy everyone -

I'm on the verge of ordering a new turbo (going with MadTurboWerks), and am wondering what y'all think I should do at the same time. I have a 2006 F250 that is stock mechanically (no studs, stock exhaust, etc), running tunes from gearhead. I do no plan on changing injectors or anything of that nature, but will be studding the truck if/when the time comes.

What small/simple things should I do at the same time as turbo replacement? The only things I can really think of is new CAC <acronym title="Charge Air Cooler"></acronym> boots, and possibly change to a metal driver's side CAC <acronym title="Charge Air Cooler"></acronym>tube (mine is plastic from the factory). I don't know if either of these is really necessary though, or will make any difference whatsoever, which is why I am asking here.

I'm also thinking of doing exhaust at the same time since I'll have the downpipe already disconnected from the turbo. I've heard that getting it lined back up can be a PITA, so I figure better to do it once instead of doing it again down the road.

What do y'all think?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just related to the work you are doing with the turbo..... I would say replace the oil drain tube and oil feed line with the updated Ford parts if you have not done so already. However, I don't know for sure if those 2 items will work on that turbo. I am very anxious to hear how that turbo works for you. Please make sure to let us know.

Oh yeah... Do the CCV mod if your messing around with your turbo..... You will get 5 times the life out of your cac boots... at least!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
STC fitting if you haven't yet. It's kind of a pain to get to with the EGR cooler still installed, but if you loosen the cooler from the manifold, remove the cooler-to-up pipe clamp, and loosen the up pipes from the manifold it's doable.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Turbo drain and STC were done a couple of years back when I had my bedplate leak fixed (under warranty, thankfully). I haven't heard much about needing to replace the feed line, but it seems like a good time to do it while it's all disconnected. All of this should work on this turbo because it's a standard OEM housing. The fun/non-OEM stuff is on the inside.

I was thinking of doing the CCV re-route as well, just to keep the new boots nice and clean.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM
berick
Elder User
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
Turbo drain and STC were done a couple of years back when I had my bedplate leak fixed (under warranty, thankfully). I haven't heard much about needing to replace the feed line, but it seems like a good time to do it while it's all disconnected. All of this should work on this turbo because it's a standard OEM housing. The fun/non-OEM stuff is on the inside.

I was thinking of doing the CCV re-route as well, just to keep the new boots nice and clean.
It just replaces the old braided line with a solid line.... less prone to leaking (at least in theory).

See below;

Ford Turbo Feed Line 2004-2007 F250,F350,F450,F550 6.0 International VT365

As for the cac boots and CCV mod.... I did the same as you. I replaced the boots and did the mod at the same time to save the new boots.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:01 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Well, I couldn't contain myself... I just placed me order for a Stage 1 turbo and new CAC boots. Now I just gotta find someone in Ft. Worth to help me install this sucker!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Ft Worth or Austin? If the turbo is a drop in replacement we can get you done in a few of hours

Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Ft. Worth! Just moved up here about a month ago. I just changed my profile to match.

The turbo is a drop in replacement (Ford OEM housing with a duramax compressor wheel). I also ordered new CAC boots, a new metal driver side tube, and will be doing a CCV re-route (the cheap way) while it's all apart. Think we can do ALL of that in a couple of hours?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Uhh ok maybe a couple more for the CCV, especially since you have all the fancy extra filters under the hood to get around. But unless a turbo bolt strips out, definitely still a one day gig.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
I'm going to do the CCV the cheap/easy way (vent it out toward the rear), so maybe that will make things go a little faster. I was looking under the hood today and was thinking that some of the lines for my oil bypass and coolant bypass would get in the way. The CAC boots look like a bear to get to all of them, but I guess its easier once you remove the intake tube and what not?

The good news is that I do already have the updated turbo feed line, so that's one less thing to have to worry about.

Hopefully the turbo will be here in a coupe of weeks and then I can figure out when to tackle it. I can supply plenty of beer and food if you really do want to give me a hand!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:22 PM
berick
Elder User
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
I'm going to do the CCV the cheap/easy way (vent it out toward the rear), so maybe that will make things go a little faster. I was looking under the hood today and was thinking that some of the lines for my oil bypass and coolant bypass would get in the way. The CAC boots look like a bear to get to all of them, but I guess its easier once you remove the intake tube and what not?

The good news is that I do already have the updated turbo feed line, so that's one less thing to have to worry about.

Hopefully the turbo will be here in a coupe of weeks and then I can figure out when to tackle it. I can supply plenty of beer and food if you really do want to give me a hand!
Cac Boots are super easy bud! You gotta take that air intake outta there anyway to replace your turbo which frees up the room you need on the drivers side for the boot down there. That's another reason to do the CCV Re-route at the same time.... with that "behemoth" of an air intake out of the way it is pretty easy to see what needs to be done and where to route your line.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 PM
berick
Elder User
Also..... don't know if you got the metal cac tube upgrade or if you stuck with your old plastic one but I used Riff Raff for the boots and the tube when I did mine. Not one single boot has blown off (and I had the turbo wide open plenty of times). I heard their cac boots are a bit better than the OEM ones and tons better than the Dieselsite ones. DO NOT BUY THE DIESELSITE CAC BOOTS!

Make sure you wash down the boots and the surfaces really good (I used alcohol) and then apply a bit of hairspray to the surfaces to tack it up and you should be good to go!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
That's what I was thinking about on the CCV mod... I'm going to knock it out since you have to take the intake tube out.

I was a little trigger happy today and ended up with the Riff Raff boots, as well as the metal tube. I figured I may as well replace it all now while it's apart and not have to worry about it. I don't want my shiny new turbo under the hood with those ratty old boots anyway!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 PM
berick
Elder User
lol..... that's exactly what I thought when I put in my CCV re-route, alternator and cac tube! The boots just make it look all fresh and new!

Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by berick
It just replaces the old braided line with a solid line.... less prone to leaking ..........
Replacing the old braided line with the solid tube wasn't because of leaks it was because of the flex section in the braided line breaking down internally and choking off the oil supply to the turbo.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to order new turbo, what else should I replace/upgrade at the same time?