Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richard1586
Replaced all of the vacuum lines (OEM rubber on my '96 Eddie Bauer) that were part of the emission system with silicone lines. Finally got rid of the gosh darn Check Engine Light and the Air Bag flashing either a code 33 or code 34! I still have to replace the two largeer hoses off of the intake and then I'll be satisfied. Right now I feel good about not having to replace the EGR and/or the EVS.
When I get some money I want to rebuild my 5.8 that's in front of the garage. I want to find some 1/8" stainless tubing and bend new vac lines for on the engine. I have located a ZF for it and own a NP205 already.
Would like to have this all installed by mid summer.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I did some work on TGM today, I timed it so it runs a little better when warm. I'm not sure about cold yet but tomorrow I will know. The reason I timed it was because when I let off the throttle after driving fast or getting the RPMs up, it would pop and backfire a lot. After fixing the the choke linkage I had, I found out that my vac advance was hooked up to the wrong vac port on the carb (thanks to FordFETruck for pointing it out). After swapping it to the right one, I noticed it popped and backfired either through the carb or the exhaust quite a bit. I figured it was timing since I hadn't adjusted it since I put the 4bbl intake/carb on the motor. Once I hooked my timing light up, it looked like the timing was fine and right at 14* BTDC like the book says. I raised it and lowered it and played with it for a while before putting it a few degrees higher and locking it in. Test drove it and I only heard some low backfiring which was a big improvement from before. After wards i put it back to where my 14* line is and locked it in and it seemed to be fine except for 2 issues I have now... Issue #1 is starting when warm. It pings a bit and when cranking it will start to rotate then stop, then start again and stop, almost as if it was binding or hitting something. From having experience with this issue I figure the timing is too advanced but when I lower it the backfiring comes back and it doesn't run as smooth. So I either deal with hard starting or running bad and backfiring, unless there is something to fix it that I can do easily.

Problem #2 is when in gear and I barely start pushing the throttle it missfires and shakes really bad but once I give it a little more gas, it purs like a kitten. Another member (FordFETruck) mentioned that my high idle needs to be adjusted. Is this true? It doesn't seem like doing that would really help besides raising the idle, it sounds more like a fuel delivery issue or something. Any ideas?

Other than the stuff above, I had a really bad squeak coming from the fiberglass top where it meets the roof. I figured tightening the bolts would probably cure it and I was right. What I didn't expect was that one of the new speed nuts I installed happens to be stripped. Of course since I have all the other bolts in, I am not super worried about missing a 3rd one but I was surprised since this hardware is fairly new. After finding this out and removing the bolt in question, it got me thinking. Has anyone come up with a modification that would eliminate the use of these annoying speed nuts, and make fastening the top down a little easier? I don't really know how you would get to the back of the bolt holes to put some sort of welded nut in there or whatever but maybe someone has come up with a better idea. Or maybe it is just my fault for not buying my hardware from Ford since they charge so much for everything.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Stopped by the Ford dealership today on way home from work and purchased a new heater blower switch for my '91. When i got home I had the wife help me drag my '95 Aerostar van (freebee) around to the driveway. Then had to air up a tire on the tractor in the back yard, then jump start it cause the battery was low. Pushed van into garage then decided to figure out why taillights were not working. New fuse popped almost as soon as switch was pulled. Went to rear bumper and disconnected the 4-flat plug going to the 6-round in the bumper. Installed new fuse and it didn't blow so guess I'll be fixing the trailer plug soon.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well, I used the bronco to move an old tore down Bowlex out of my step brothers apartment so my niece in law could move in. I also had to dig into the tailgate because one of the regulator arms likes to pop out of that little slider bushing and make it so the window won't go up right. I am getting tired of that happening but I can't fix it till i have the time to pull the regulator arms off and get the window out. Or try to scrape all the gooey crap out of that track and put grease in it.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Still waiting to get my motor. They're waiting to be paid from other jobs so the last few parts can be purchased for mine. Either way, Im not messing with it until spring. Ive had enough pulling and dropping motors in the cold lol.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That kinda sucks. Hopefully people pay their dues and you can get your motor back.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Installed a new 195* thermostat with new gasket, new bypass hose as well. Tore into dash and replaced the heater blower switch. It had gone into meltdown and was no longer functioning. The switch was bought through Motorcraft, however the wiring plug is not available so had to chip the old one off of the wiring and plug individual wires into the switch. I was concerned about them falling loose and shorting so taped them to the switch. Short in the trailer plug was elimanated by cutting out the four flat plug and slpicing the wirs together with heat shrink crimp connectors.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
My switch is good for heater but the blower motor either needs replacing or needs some freshening up. It squeals quite a bit like it needs grease or something.

For the wiring short though, does that mean you no longer have towing wires?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Did nothing to the Bronco. Have to get busy if I want to get done what I had planned and have it ready for the nice weather.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I planned on doing my thermostat today but it was 37 degrees out and started raining. Guess I have to put it off till i get a nice day

Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Alright, I finally got the t-stat pretty much done. Only thing left is to put the new hose on and add some coolant.

Here is the old housing

And the new one all sealed and bolted down. It was pretty much just silver pot metal so I painted it black.

Of course I did spill coolant everywhere but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I caught about half of what I spilled in a bucket. The rest soaked into the gravel.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yesterday, I got to manually drive through a car wash because the rollers wouldn't grab the 33s and it caused the place to shut down 3 times. Then i parked it up at the store by the house an put it up for sale. As i was walking away guy stopped me an asked "that your bronco?"
"Nope, stole it. Now i'm gunna sell it."

Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Nice Fordman, I would've said the same lol. Alas, I will be doing the same thing with my F250. It is going up for sale. It is becoming a moneypit. And frankly, I dont need that big of a truck. The motor needs to be replaced or rebuilt...and I dont have the time or cash to do it. I hate to see it go. But I gotta do what I gotta do. :/

Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only reason that mine is up for sale is because that i want to do a 393 stroker which i have figured will cost roughly $3,400. excluding the new exhaust that i want and the tune that is needed. I know someone with a 79' bronco that i can get cheap BUT i need mine gone

Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
I opened the hood.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?