1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

E3 Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM
AZ_Ford_Guy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E3 Spark Plugs

Hey Guys, Have any of you tried e3 spark plugs? I generally don't follow the hype in spark plugs. Most times it seems that the only good thing about any of them are the sales pamphlets! I usually run plain ol' motorcraft or autolite plugs and have never had any problems. Years ago, I tried splitfires in my '90 with a 460, and had a horrible time with them. I always check my gap before install, and the truck would barely run after installing these. Pulled 'em out, rechecked the gap, reinstalled, nothing....Picked up a set of my trusty ol' motorcrafts, put those in and the truck was back to purring. Thats the last time I tried fancy plugs.
I have been hearing Stacey David schilling away for e3 for awhile now, but after seeing their combustion chamber test they showed, I have to admit I was impressed. Am I on the verge of falling for hype, or do you all think these things might actually be a real advance in spark plug technology?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't know boo about E3 plugs. But, I hope that Bill/85lebaront2 chimes in. Please pay attention to whatever he says as he ran a carb and ignition system shop for many years and knows his stuff.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Nope I see no possible way those things could do anything but hurt performance. And of course I haven't tried them, and well Stacy David is high on my TV moron list. Even if you fall for the mombo jumbo that they somehow with out any more power produce more spark. All the huge electrode does is shadow/block the flame front. The best spark is a wide side gap fed by a powerfull ignition. Not sure if they still do, I don't buy them but Autolite used to make a side gap "race" plug I just make them out of "cheap" plugs.

Could be a good plug to make a 3 prong side gap out of I guess.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM
351M
Posting Guru
A buddy ran them in his '96 Sonoma, never hurt performance but I didn't see anything better from them either. He swore they improved mileage but again, in that worn out old 4.3 who knows...

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ_Ford_Guy
Hey Guys, Have any of you tried e3 spark plugs? I generally don't follow the hype in spark plugs. Most times it seems that the only good thing about any of them are the sales pamphlets! I usually run plain ol' motorcraft or autolite plugs and have never had any problems. Years ago, I tried splitfires in my '90 with a 460, and had a horrible time with them. I always check my gap before install, and the truck would barely run after installing these. Pulled 'em out, rechecked the gap, reinstalled, nothing....Picked up a set of my trusty ol' motorcrafts, put those in and the truck was back to purring. Thats the last time I tried fancy plugs.
I have been hearing Stacey David schilling away for e3 for awhile now, but after seeing their combustion chamber test they showed, I have to admit I was impressed. Am I on the verge of falling for hype, or do you all think these things might actually be a real advance in spark plug technology?

You could always take some good before performance measurements, like gas mileage, etc. Then install them with no other modifications whatsoever. Then do some after performance measurements and report back to us. Personally, I would do a good tune-up, filter change, maybe an oil-change too, but keep the old plugs in (maybe clean them and re-gap them), and check the spark-plug wires. Then take all of your before measurements. After you get those as a baseline, you can change the plugs and take all of your after measurements. At least that way you will be insuring that the only thing that would be different are the plugs, and you would have a fresh tune-up. Good luck and keep us informed. You could even do a good write-up on it here.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM
86fordtruck
Elder User
They tested them on Horsepower TV as well. Put an engine on the dyno and ran it with standard plugs, and then let it cool, installed E3 plugs, brought it back up to temp, with the same parameters, and found that it increased horsepower and lowered the specific fuel consumption. For my stroker motor, I went with stock plugs, at least for now. Once it is running and set, I might try a set to see if they might change anything, but I would want a baseline, like fuel consumption, maybe 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, or something to compare them.

Whatever you do, don't throw out the old ones, if they're any good, until you know the E3's are working for you. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 AM
nolan62
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After seeing them tested on Horse Power TV and Gearz I gave them a try. They work as advertised. I use them in my F-150, my Mustang, my son's truck, my ex-wife's SUV. So I actually use E3 plugs and they do work just fine.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM
80FlareSide
Senior User
I put them in my truck, but did it the same time as so many other things its impossible to tell which is responsible for what.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
big vann
Senior User
I tried E3 sparkplugs in my 2006 GTO and at the same time I installed Taylor Thunder Volt 10.4mm ign. wires.8000 miles or so later,I developed an off idle stumble/misfire.No check engine light.Finally tracked it down to the plugs and wires.Resistance with an ohm meter was anywhere from 1000ohm to 5000ohm.I replaced the wires with stock and put in tr55 plugs and all was well.Car had about 32000 miles(at 36000 now)I don't know if the plugs killed the wires or vice vesa.It seems that the old tried and true method is the way to go.K.I.S.S.I run FORD Racing 9mm wires on my trucks with Champion or NGK plugs and no issues.I'll never buy either product again.I'll stay away from gizmos and gadgets,unless Stacy David can sway me once again.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 AM
AZ_Ford_Guy
Senior User
Well, like I said in the initial post, I tend to stay away from these sorts of things myself. I have never had a problem with motorcraft or autolite plugs. Tried and true.
I am sure that I will likely continue using them. I also know me, If I spent 3 or 4 times more on plugs, I will be 3 or 4 times more reluctant to change them out! I am planning on a DSII conversion very soon, and kicked around the idea of throwing these in there. My first sign that I shouldn't was when I felt it necessary to start a thread regarding them! I did anyways, mainly to hear feedback from those who tried them. I figured most of you all were like myself, in staying away from "new fangled products"! Heck, thats partly why we drive these old bullnoses!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
nolan62
Senior User
Can't be afraid of something new. Otherwise, we would still be driving on poly belted tires, with asbestos brake pads and leaded gas.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
I put E3s and new plug wires (O'Reilly's house brand) in my 2002 Cavalier and mileage jumped up a bit. I can go about 385mi on a tank of gas (takes about $40 to fill up).

I'm doing an MSD conversion this weekend and I'm wondering if maybe I should give these a try too.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 AM
AZ_Ford_Guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by nolan62
Can't be afraid of something new. Otherwise, we would still be driving on poly belted tires, with asbestos brake pads and leaded gas.

While I understand your concept, and generally agree with its premise, I choose not to be a guinea pig for manufacturers. There are more than enough people willing to spend their money on unproven products and if those products actually do what they claim, it will be public knowledge and industry standard in pretty short order. Just as with the examples you cited. Some may have taken longer to overtake the market, but most instances of that comes down to manufacturing cost and not product performance.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
When you really think about it though, it's just spark plugs, it's not a huge investment like a set of heads or an entire engine. If you don't like them after you try them then you've found out you were right and you know not to buy the brand again.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 AM
pace car
Junior User
help ,from ITALY.......

Hi please who can help me for correct bleeder front single piston for my f 150 base 4x4 351 W 5.8L vin #1FTEF14G5DRA23xxx long bed,I unknow the size I wish to buy them urgently thankyou

Quick Reply: E3 Spark Plugs