Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Cruise not working. ughh..

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Dawn Knadler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise not working. ughh..

The cruise control has not worked since we bought our 02 Escape a few months ago. We took to a dealer who told us it was the servo and would be almost $600 for the repair. No thanks! We bought a used servo on Ebay for $25 and replaced ourselves, which of course did not fix the cruise (the dealer also told us that replacing the servo would stop the beeping that we heard when 1st turning on the vehicle, which we found out was for the airbag system and was due to the bulb being out in the dash. Needless to say I think they went for the most expensive diagnoses just to get our money even tho it wasnt right.)
So I did a little internet research and have seen that cruise problems in Ford are pretty common and found multiple sites that told how to do the self test diagnostics. We did this but the light flashes once at the beginning to show it is in diag mode, but does not flash after pressing on, nor any of the remaining buttons, and does not flash at all at the end of the sequence. So the prob specifically with our cruise is that the fuse blows as soon as we press on. It did not blow when we pressed on, during the self test, only when trying to turn it on while driving (or even just idling) We've checked the brake lights since I've read that an out light can cause a short in the system, and all lights are ok. Read also that the cruise control switch on the brake pedal could cause problems also, but not sure how to test the switch. Any suggestions would be awesome!