Sponsored by: DP Tuner

"New" Truck Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Nabors
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"New" Truck Owner Questions

hey guys. Today my father went and picked up my truck (2001 f250 xl 4x4 7.3) but we found a few problems. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The main one is, after about an hour, the truck would only idle and when I stepped on it it lost fuel and stalled. My suspicion is a fuel pump electrical system or fuel filter. Sometimes while I'm waiting for the wait to start light to go off I can't hear the fuel pump as loud as it was earlier. There is also some sort of box with 2 green lights on it that we think may be a remote shutoff (was a fleet vehicle). The next one is stiff steering. Sometimes when I'm idling the wheel is hard to turn and it gets easier when I get the rpm's up. I think the power steering may be leaking but my father and I are going to go through and check everything. Other than that, there are just some cosmetics. Where could I find a replacement bench seat? Also, the indicator to tell me where i am (prnd) is broken off. Where could I get a replacement one. Other than that, I'm glad to join the diesel community! I'll get pictures up when I have time off from school later in the week!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The truck shutting off could be oil related. You may have a weak LPOP and that is not filling the HPOP reservoir when the oil is up to temp. It could also be the ICP sensor or the IPR doing it. Pull the connector off the ICP Sensor and look for presence of oil. If nothing is found, you may need to check low pressure oil pressure and then clean/replace the IPR.

The fuel pump can be noisy when running. You may be sucking air from the tank and that will cause it to be louder than normal. Look into the Hutch and Harpoon mods for the tank.

Not sure about your box with LED's......a picture may help.

Power steering is not the strongest feature on these trucks. If you are at idle you will often find the majority of trucks struggle. You can upgrade to various pumps including the "super pump", but may find it easier to just bring the idle up and turn while rolling.

Tousley Ford can usually get all the parts. Pulling the indicator and the cable is pretty straight forward. Probably takes 30 minutes to get the dash apart to get access.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Nabors
Senior User
Originally Posted by woodnthings
The truck shutting off could be oil related. You may have a weak LPOP and that is not filling the HPOP reservoir when the oil is up to temp. It could also be the ICP sensor or the IPR doing it. Pull the connector off the ICP Sensor and look for presence of oil. If nothing is found, you may need to check low pressure oil pressure and then clean/replace the IPR.

The fuel pump can be noisy when running. You may be sucking air from the tank and that will cause it to be louder than normal. Look into the Hutch and Harpoon mods for the tank.

Not sure about your box with LED's......a picture may help.

Power steering is not the strongest feature on these trucks. If you are at idle you will often find the majority of trucks struggle. You can upgrade to various pumps including the "super pump", but may find it easier to just bring the idle up and turn while rolling.

Tousley Ford can usually get all the parts. Pulling the indicator and the cable is pretty straight forward. Probably takes 30 minutes to get the dash apart to get access.
Please excuse my ignorance but what is LPOP, HPOP, ICP, and IPR? and I read that it could be rusty ball joints which is very likely (was a concrete truck in it's prior life). I'll try to find what the box is but if I can't I'll post a picture. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Nabors
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.
I appreciate it! I forgot about that section. I'm sure I'll get plenty of help over there. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
pin8246
Elder User
High pressure oil pump is one, dont get me going on the others. Im still trying to figure alot of them out.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HPOP...high pressure oil pump
LPOP....low pressure oil pump
IPR......injector pressure regulator
ICP......injector control pressure

Old 08-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Nabors
Senior User
Thanks for the clarification!
Update: The box underneath the dash was a base for a GPS tracker (was a fleet vehicle). There were multiple wires running back to a high voltage regulator that controlled strobe lights (we got rid of them). We are trying to recreate what happened with the issue of shutting off but it was 7 in a residential neighborhood so we decided to try it once I have time during the day. The carfax shows it was maintained very well just beat up on in the concrete business. We believe the fuel filter is at fault. It was frustrating the first day but at least is was close enough that I could run and pick up the 79 C10 and tow it back. And with the steering we think it's the ball joints. This weekend we will go through and get everything greased up and cleaned. (very clean for 288k miles though)!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A power steering flush may help your problems with steering. But let's get the motor problems fixed first. You've got a list of things to check. Let us know what you find. Also, how much fuel was in the truck when it stalled? The pickup tube in these trucks can crack causing it to suck air with a half a tank of fuel.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Nabors
I appreciate it! I forgot about that section. I'm sure I'll get plenty of help over there. Thanks!
No problem.

These folks are great and they'll fix you right up.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Nabors
Senior User
Update: I drove it around for a little bit and I couldn't reproduce it. My guess is that it may have something to do with it heating up. Any suggestions based on this fact?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Nabors
Senior User
Old 08-22-2012, 06:39 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
OK. In the carfax, does it mention anything about injectors or injector o-rings being replaced?

What oil is in it?

When hot, shut it off, and sit for a minute, then try to start it. Does it start right up, or do you have to crank it a while?

Also, remove the fuel filter and see what if anything is in there.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:55 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
We also still need to know how much fuel was showing on the guage when it stalled.At 288*** miles the mixing screens in the tank may be clogged causing a restriction,also the duck bill in the tank may be cracked causing it to suck air and "run out of fuel" at say a quarter tank.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Nabors
Senior User
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
We also still need to know how much fuel was showing on the guage when it stalled.At 288*** miles the mixing screens in the tank may be clogged causing a restriction,also the duck bill in the tank may be cracked causing it to suck air and "run out of fuel" at say a quarter tank.
Sorry for the delay! It is at a little less than a quarter of a tank. It still turned on but would only run for a little bit and when I tried giving it throttle is when it stalled (it was hot when it happened). This weekend after school I am going to try and recreate what happened and take note of everything that is going on. After that, I am going to replace the fuel filter and try to recreate it again to see if I can do it. I'll keep y'all updated.

Quick Reply: "New" Truck Owner Questions