Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD ECM or DIST MODULE ???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
One thing I would do for sure though with an off-idle hesitation is unplug the IAC valve, and see if it idles. With the IAC unplugged it should just barely hold a steady slow idle. If the idle stays up high, or the truck completely dies out then someone has messed around with the idle air screw.
Not to jump in here late and cause any confusion, but, shouldn't the CTS be unplugged for this test as well ???

Bob

Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
When I fired it up to check voltages on TPS I had Fuel Pressure Gauge on it , it was constantly stumbling off idle and no fuel pressure drop what so ever , does it monitor all three pumps or just the HP pump ?
I have even driven it with fuel pressure gauge on it and no drop ever even when experiencing this , I believe the code 96 was probably left on there from previous owner , as I have re-checked after the EGR replacement and none came back that time , all clear , I am going to check right now , I will be back shortly .
Thankyou
The same circuit powers all 3 pumps (switch just changes between which in tank pump gets powered). The computer doesn't actually monitor the pumps, It just verifies that the fuel pump circuit is getting power.

Originally Posted by Truckin Bob
Not to jump in here late and cause any confusion, but, shouldn't the CTS be unplugged for this test as well ???

Bob
Not that I am aware of.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lead Head

One thing I would do for sure though with an off-idle hesitation is unplug the IAC valve, and see if it idles. With the IAC unplugged it should just barely hold a steady slow idle. If the idle stays up high, or the truck completely dies out then someone has messed around with the idle air screw.
Yep, a good test to perform.

In my case, the idle stayed high because of a vacuum leak at the throttlebody to plenum gasket.

Now I'm dealing with a bad aftermarket TPS (resistance goes up/down/up just off idle) and have ordered a new Motorcraft one.

Additionally, my aftermarket CTS ohm's out as "out of spec" when the truck is cold. A new Motorcraft one was ordered as well.

Just some additional information to share.

Bob

Old 08-20-2012, 05:06 PM
n4ynu1010
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad ECM or DIST Module ??????

When I fired it up to check voltages on TPS I had Fuel Pressure Gauge on it , it was constantly stumbling off idle and no fuel pressure drop what so ever , does it monitor all three pumps or just the HP pump ?
I have even driven it with fuel pressure gauge on it and no drop ever even when experiencing this , I believe the code 96 was probably left on there from previous owner , as I have re-checked after the EGR replacement and none came back that time , all clear , I am going to check right now , I will be back shortly .
Thankyou
Ok , I just spent all this time trying to erase codes 87 and 96 ( Fuel Circuit Faults and thanks to you with the tank switching , I think we can rule that out ) , only two on there , and yes I have switched tanks many times while running ( nice to know ) as I have one tank with industrial cocktail to clean the injectors and one with straight gas , I have switched to observe if maybe industrial cocktail was causing issues which it was not .
Scanner now will not let me erase codes , will not let me do KOEO Test , says communication failure , check cables , I have used this scanner maybe 6 times now , I am sure that the cable is good , also removed plug from IAC and engine still idles , a little lower rpm but smooth overall , I think my little adj must have put it in range for this because I returned it to .997 Volts and the motor would shut off when I disconnected IAC , so my hunch was right , throttle plate was a tad too much closed due to 20+ years .
Code scanner has done this before intermittently also ( 2-3 times , I would keep on trying and it would work ) , so now I am thinking it must be computer at this point .
I am going to remove Computer and check it out , I also after EGR ran truck for over an Hour and after returning rechecked for codes and there were none , and I did not switch tanks , so I think you are right about switching tanks causing that .
Am going to remove computer and check capacitors and PCB out to see if that may be the issue with this crazy behavior , with the scanner doing what it is doing and not communicating I think I may have found my Ghost !

I have not changed the Ignition Module , it is a E3EF 12A197 1A1 (Grey) , I was thinking it could be the culprit mainly but I have computer on my brain with the failure of the scanner working , I thought before it may have just been a glitch regarding communication between the two but now I think Puter is maybe problem , I was able to erase codes before as well as do the KOEO Tests several times , I have no CM Test on this , I am thinking it is associated with the KOEO Test .

Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
CM display ALWAYS follows the KOEO tests. The PCM is programmed that way. Your reader may be grouping them together.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
n4ynu1010
Senior User
Originally Posted by Truckin Bob
Yep, a good test to perform.

In my case, the idle stayed high because of a vacuum leak at the throttlebody to plenum gasket.

Now I'm dealing with a bad aftermarket TPS (resistance goes up/down/up just off idle) and have ordered a new Motorcraft one.

Additionally, my aftermarket CTS ohm's out as "out of spec" when the truck is cold. A new Motorcraft one was ordered as well.

Just some additional information to share.

Bob
I too have questioned the CTS , but when I do not have this issue going on truck runs great , I am impressed , I am also going to order the OEM CTS just so I know it is right , although I will probably test this one and if it is good , I will keep the OEM for a emergency replacement backup .

Cold Idle comes up to 1500 , holds for a minute maybe and starts coming down to normal .

Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM
n4ynu1010
Senior User

I think all is pointing to the ECM guys at this point with the scanner refusing to interface to test and also refusing to even erase codes , I am going to see if I can get it out before dark , maybe , if not I will start on it in the morning and give you an update when I look at it , outside of the capacitor leaking issue , it could just be bad period , the truck ( can tell by fresh paint ) was in an accident including drivers side quarter and drivers door , it could have been affected by that as well , will take a good look a capacitors and PCB , will know more regarding previous accident when I get it out , for all I know it has been partially crushed , we will see shortly , Thankyou for all your help again , Everyone !

I would like your 2 cents on the probability of the computer seeing these issues with scanner and the existing ones , sounds like it , but if I do not see the bad components and no damage to speak of is there anyone that can test them reliably ?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:37 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok , I just spent all this time trying to erase codes 87 and 96 ( Fuel Circuit Faults and thanks to you with the tank switching , I think we can rule that out ) , only two on there , and yes I have switched tanks many times while running ( nice to know ) as I have one tank with industrial cocktail to clean the injectors and one with straight gas , I have switched to observe if maybe industrial cocktail was causing issues which it was not .
Scanner now will not let me erase codes , will not let me do KOEO Test , says communication failure , check cables , I have used this scanner maybe 6 times now , I am sure that the cable is good , also removed plug from IAC and engine still idles , a little lower rpm but smooth overall , I think my little adj must have put it in range for this because I returned it to .997 Volts and the motor would shut off when I disconnected IAC , so my hunch was right , throttle plate was a tad too much closed due to 20+ years .
Code scanner has done this before intermittently also ( 2-3 times , I would keep on trying and it would work ) , so now I am thinking it must be computer at this point .
I am going to remove Computer and check it out , I also after EGR ran truck for over an Hour and after returning rechecked for codes and there were none , and I did not switch tanks , so I think you are right about switching tanks causing that .
Am going to remove computer and check capacitors and PCB out to see if that may be the issue with this crazy behavior , with the scanner doing what it is doing and not communicating I think I may have found my Ghost !

I have not changed the Ignition Module , it is a E3EF 12A197 1A1 (Grey) , I was thinking it could be the culprit mainly but I have computer on my brain with the failure of the scanner working , I thought before it may have just been a glitch regarding communication between the two but now I think Puter is maybe problem , I was able to erase codes before as well as do the KOEO Tests several times , I have no CM Test on this , I am thinking it is associated with the KOEO Test .
KOEO test is a pass fail thing nothing stored, correct a problem triggering KOEO failed test and it will not appear next time around.

Take your fancy reader out of the equation just for a moment, trigger the self test with a paper clip. See if you can elicit a proper response without it, get a system pass or list of codes. KOEO | CM codes will be separated by a 10 (a single flash doing it via a paper clip).

Easier way to find out little more about the computer without need take it out.

If you get a system pass both KOEO and CM then run the KOER test.

If you get KOEO codes you need to correct any/all of them first before moving on, however first you must get a good response from the computer. If it won't run the self test when done/triggered manually without any reader, then its probably time to pull it give it a good looking over.

Included just in case you're not aware how> Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test

Old 08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
I would like your 2 cents on the probability of the computer seeing these issues with scanner and the existing ones , sounds like it , but if I do not see the bad components and no damage to speak of is there anyone that can test them reliably ?
And THAT is the $ 64,000.00 question.

The Haynes manual says, to paraphrase, "If the EEC is suspected of failure you're best off taking it to a FORD Dealer where they can try another one without purchasing from their inventory".

Remember the old FORD slogan, "FORD has a better idea".

Bob

Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
n4ynu1010
Senior User
Originally Posted by danr1
KOEO test is a pass fail thing nothing stored, correct a problem triggering KOEO failed test and it will not appear next time around.

Take your fancy reader out of the equation just for a moment, trigger the self test with a paper clip. See if you can elicit a proper response without it, get a system pass or list of codes. KOEO | CM codes will be separated by a 10 (a single flash doing it via a paper clip).

Easier way to find out little more about the computer without need take it out.

If you get a system pass both KOEO and CM then run the KOER test.

If you get KOEO codes you need to correct any/all of them first before moving on, however first you must get a good response from the computer. If it won't run the self test when done/triggered manually without any reader, then its probably time to pull it give it a good looking over.

Included just in case you're not aware how> Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test

I am not saying it is failing the test , I am saying it will not even perform the test now or erase the codes , it is not interfacing with computer anymore ................ I bought this nice little scanner so I would not have to count blinks LOL , if you want me to count them would you please post a link with directions and I will try it before I remove it , is it that hard to remove ?
Please tell me I do not have to remove Emergency Brake Assy , Please ????
LOL

Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
I am not saying it is failing the test , I am saying it will not even perform the test now or erase the codes , it is not interfacing with computer anymore ................ I bought this nice little scanner so I would not have to count blinks LOL , if you want me to count them would you please post a link with directions and I will try it before I remove it , is it that hard to remove ?
Please tell me I do not have to remove Emergency Brake Assy , Please ????
LOL
I don't like counting them either rather a pain in the you know what! I have a 3145 for these systems, another one for OBD2.

I included a link for instructions in my last post, click on the blue text it will open the link.

One of the little B2 we had wouldn't work with the 3145 regardless what we tried, clean contacts check all fuses etc etc it would however manually run the self test without issue. Only ford ever had wouldn't accept input from the 3145 however at the same time wasn't worth fighting with. Simply counted flashes when something was in question with it. The reader works fine on all other trucks/cars so its not it and the little b2's computer was just fine.

Computers can and do fail but its pretty rare even in these older vehicles, best to assume its not the computer until proven otherwise. For example might be the computers connection to the harness, the pins sometimes corrode due to water damage. If so would only need cleaned and dab of fresh dielectric grease applied (little bit of that stuff goes a long way). May not have a thing to do with your issue merely an example however would make one think the computer was shot.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM
n4ynu1010
Senior User

I don't like counting them either rather a pain in the you know what! I have a 3145 for these systems, another one for OBD2.

I included a link for instructions in my last post, click on the blue text it will open the link.

One of the little B2 we had wouldn't work with the 3145 regardless what we tried, clean contacts check all fuses etc etc it would however manually run the self test without issue. Only ford ever had wouldn't accept input from the 3145 however at the same time wasn't worth fighting with. Simply counted flashes when something was in question with it. The reader works fine on all other trucks/cars so its not it and the little b2's computer was just fine.

Computers can and do fail but its pretty rare even in these older vehicles, best to assume its not the computer until proven otherwise.
Ok , I will try it , although if not the computer let me get ahead of myself , how do you feel about the MSD Ign Module for this truck , they make nice stuff , better than Accel any day in my opinion , but if the computer turns out ok ( I have it in for the computer , can you tell ) , is that a good module or would you go with the OEM , I know also there is a pick up in that Dist. as well , considering its age , I was figuring on getting the MSD Module ( was going to do that down the road anyway to tell you the truth ) but wanted to see how it worked seeing that many I am sure have tried it , so kinda wanted to know if it was reliable , that way if I ever had a Dist. issue , I could get the MSD Dist. and use the module on it

Also , I saw the link after I posted , I am consumed with this thing , I have sunk 4 grand in this pig and it still has an issue , when it is not messing up it runs fantastic , may make a Ford Lover out of me yet , but right now , if I were rich , I would give it away and let someone else fight with it , it is giving me a serious education way too fast LOL
I guess it is making up for all those Ford remarks I have made over the years , I am going to go ask it to forgive me ROFLOL

Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User

Computers can and do fail but its pretty rare even in these older vehicles, best to assume its not the computer until proven otherwise. For example might be the computers connection to the harness, the pins sometimes corrode due to water damage. If so would only need cleaned and dab of fresh dielectric grease applied (little bit of that stuff goes a long way). May not have a thing to do with your issue merely an example however would make one think the computer was shot.
"fail but its pretty rare even in these older vehicles"
No way are you going to get away with that blanket statement.

The VERY nature of the electrolitic capacitors (used in the Ford EEC circuit boards) WILL FAIL DUE TO AGE.
I'd suggest you google "electrolitic capacitor failure age" and do a little reading.
The spec sheets from capacitor manufactures/suppliers list the "life span" of the electrolytic style capacitors and they do fail, because of age. They don't last forever. EEC Failures WILL start appearing as a "new item to correct/repair/replace" because of aging electrolitic capacitors in the circuit board.

I don't know if you read the link I provided previously, but here you go again:A9x ECM's (and same years ECM's) Failures Due to Age

Perhaps n4ynu1010 (the OP) will chime in here and give us his take on electrolytic capacitors and their failure(s) due to age.

He seems to be rather qualified in electronics to speak on this subject.

Off my soapbox now,

Bob

Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
You really need to get a good self test result from the computer first, should get failing KOEO result code/s or a system pass. Same with CM either has no codes stored and gives a system pass or give up the codes it has stored.

None of that other matters not until after finding out what if anything the computer knows about it all. Does it respond as it should or is it the source of the problems. I would add that your symptoms do not suggest a failing computer, especially if you do succeed in eliciting a proper response from it, "system pass" or code/s whichever the case may be.
Yes "system pass" is a "code" minimum you should get that.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
You really need to get a good self test result from the computer first, should get failing KOEO result code/s or a system pass. Same with CM either has no codes stored and gives a system pass or give up the codes it has stored.

None of that other matters not until after finding out what if anything the computer knows about it all. Does it respond as it should or is it the source of the problems. I would add that your symptoms do not suggest a failing computer, especially if you do succeed in eliciting a proper response from it, "system pass" or code/s whichever the case may be.
Yes "system pass" is a "code" minimum you should get that.
Just some more information for you then.

Two of the electrolytic capacitors in MY EEC were leaking.
The EEC had zero codes.
That, in short, meant that they (the capacitors) were FAILING in a circuit !!!!!!

I did the capacitor replacement and still had no codes.

MY EEC had NO CODES in KOEO or KOER or CM before or after the capacitor(s) repair.

Without getting indepth into the "Ford electronic engineering" and logic involved in the EEC's in question, and given that a failing EEC may not show or store any codes, it appears that the EEC's we're discussing don't have the ability to check all of their own internal circuitry for internal problems.

I think you're asking the EEC to perform a function that it doesn't have the ability to do.

My take again,

Bob

Quick Reply: BAD ECM or DIST MODULE ???????