1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Van died and will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Van died and will not start

The van died today and now will not start. We took the fuel filter out and it was clogged, so we got a new one and put it on. The van still won't start. I know that air gets into the lines when the filter gets replaced. We've tried turning the key on and off several times to no avail. It cranks fine but acts like it isn't getting any fuel. Are we doing something wrong in how we are trying to get the air out of the lines? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:51 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds as if the pump may have failed.
Have you checked for fuel pressure?

Old 08-19-2012, 03:31 PM
avenge
Senior User
I'll agree your clogged fuel filter likely caused the pump to fail.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
Have you tried switching to the other tank?

Maybe the fuel tank selector valve is jammed (like mine)

Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
The other tank never gets used because it is full of bad gas. Been that way since I got the van almost three years ago now.

I haven't been able to check the pump itself out to see if it's still doing what it's supposed to do or not. The earliest I will be able to check things out will be Tuesday, so I have some time to work out some possible causes. First, is there a fuse for the fuel pump? If so, where is it located? The van is a 1989 E150, 300/6, C6.

Assuming it's not a fuse, what ways are there of checking the fuel pump out? I'm thinking that we could disconnect the fuel filter and turn the key to the on position, but I could be wrong on that.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You've been running around for "almost three years" with a tank "full of bad gas"? Are you waiting for it to ferment enough to rot out tank?

Originally Posted by Rico47635
The other tank never gets used because it is full of bad gas. Been that way since I got the van almost three years ago now.
Suggest you cut open the old fuel filter & have a look at what "clogged" it. Could be diagnostic. If loaded w/rust you can presume fuel pump is toast & problem won't go away b/c tank will continue to precipitate rust. If gummed up you can also presume fuel pump is toast b/c "bad gas" may have been in both tanks. If "clogged" by debris from fuel pump self destructing, but not loaded w/rust or gum, you may get off EZ & only need to replace pump.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Rico47635
Elder User
Yes, I am waiting for the tank to rot out. That way, I won't have to worry about what to do with all the bad gas in it. It'll just leak out onto the road as I drive.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Sounds like a poor plan.

Yes, I am waiting for the tank to rot out. That way, I won't have to worry about what to do with all the bad gas in it. It'll just leak out onto the road as I drive.
Often "bad gas" has fermented enough to ruin fuel pumps, clog filters, corrode tanks & prevent motor from starting, yet remain quite flammable. Not that the 2nd tank's contents are your issue. However you need "to worry about" the inevitable leaking of a tank "full of bad gas" resulting in a big fire.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Rico47635
Elder User
Dude, you can't be serious. You actually think that's my plan? ROFLMAO! That's what I love about this site--it's always good for a laugh or two while learning how to get our Fords back on the road.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
No. Claiming to haul a tank "full of bad gas" around for "almost three years" looks like negligence. But plan or no plan, makes no difference, it's what you say you're "actually" doing. Hope it's not related to getting your Ford "back on the road". If tank rots out, leaks & causes fire will you get a "good laugh or two"?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
What do you mean with "Bad Gas"?

Is the fuel too old or did anyone pour something in that doesn't belong there (for example: Diesel)?

I suggest: turn on and off the ignition until you here the airbubbles going inside the tank.

If it doesn't happen, than disconnect the fuel lines near the pressure
regulator and turn on the ignition to see if fuel is coming.
But beware: the pressure can be high and spread gas all over the place - so better don't smoke

if still is nothing coming, than you might have no other choice to lower the tank and remove the Pump.
There is a pre-filter inside the tank that might be clogged too.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
No. Claiming to haul a tank "full of bad gas" around for "almost three years" looks like negligence. But plan or no plan, makes no difference, it's what you say you're "actually" doing. Hope it's not related to getting your Ford "back on the road". If tank rots out, leaks & causes fire will you get a "good laugh or two"?
Frankly, I don't give a damn what you think about my tank being full of the same gasoline for three years. It certainly isn't negligence, and if the van does catch fire (fat chance of that happening), my heart won't be broken.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
Originally Posted by Cobra-Kai
What do you mean with "Bad Gas"?

Is the fuel too old or did anyone pour something in that doesn't belong there (for example: Diesel)?

I suggest: turn on and off the ignition until you here the airbubbles going inside the tank.

If it doesn't happen, than disconnect the fuel lines near the pressure
regulator and turn on the ignition to see if fuel is coming.
But beware: the pressure can be high and spread gas all over the place - so better don't smoke

if still is nothing coming, than you might have no other choice to lower the tank and remove the Pump.
There is a pre-filter inside the tank that might be clogged too.
This van has the two tank set up. The back tank was full of old gasoline when we bought it. The front tank has worked fine, so that's the only one we've ever used. We did the key on key off thing several times and it still doesn't want to start. That's what prompted me to start this thread. I thought maybe we had done something wrong with that. It's starting to appear as if we may have a fuel pump problem. Thanks for the tip on the pressure being high. Where is the pressure regulator located?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM
mustangman
Senior User
do what i did, throw the front fuel tank in the garbage,only have the rear tank now so simple,replace both pumps, replace the tank also if its rusty, ebay has them cheap,,check fuel pressure,spark etc,, the intank pump has a rubber connector that rots out common,i have a direct 12 volt switch to pumps, in my set up there is no fuel pump relay, to each his own goodluck

Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
This van has the two tank set up. The back tank was full of old gasoline when we bought it. The front tank has worked fine, so that's the only one we've ever used. We did the key on key off thing several times and it still doesn't want to start. That's what prompted me to start this thread. I thought maybe we had done something wrong with that. It's starting to appear as if we may have a fuel pump problem. Thanks for the tip on the pressure being high. Where is the pressure regulator located?
I can see on you Avatar, that you have the same Model, but i do not Know which engine you have.
So i refer to mine: a 302 EFi

The pressure regulator sits in the back of the engine on the end of the fuel rails.
Looks like this Standard Motor Products PR15 - Standard Motor Fuel Pressure Regulators - Overview - SummitRacing.com
One end sits in the fuel rail, on the other is a vacuum hose from the intake manifold.

And close to the regulator are the main lines.
One coming from the high pressure pump, the other is the return line.

Quick Reply: Van died and will not start