1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 460 CC Diesel Conversion with a 24V OR 03+ CR

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
97 460 CC Diesel Conversion with a 24V OR 03+ CR

Well I finally sold the 547 stroker motor that had been a long project that was going to be put into the 460 truck. Going a different route. Ever since I bought my 7.3 I love the diesel engine much more than a gas.

I am looking to do this project next fall not this upcoming fall. Still need to finish the 7.3 up. This will be the wifes truck/family truck. I want to have a setup that gets killer mileage and still can tow well when I want to take a full cab in the CC rather than the SC.

I was wondering if you all had some good leader threads on guys who have done this in the past. I would like to do a 24 instead of a 12 simply for hp/tq numbers, but optimally would really like to driop in the CR out of an 03 or newer truck.

Ideally I'm looking for an engine that will last as long as the truck and a solid drive train behind it. I have been to a ton of the supporting company sites that aid with parts/ install instructions/ and diagrams. I am looking for a few build threads of guys who have done this in the past on OBS fords. Threads that show good pics and details of fitment issues and modifications that need to be made to get it to fit correctly.

Anyways I figured some of you might have a few buddies who have done this in the past and could point me in the right way.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I am sure there are tons of threads out there for doing this swap, in fact there are complete sites dedicated to the Cummins 6BT swaps, but I doubt you will find a lot of them here on FTE. There may be a few guys that can give you some good references, but most of us still drive the PSDs...

A 24V with a ZF5 behind it is a nice combination. Solid too.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 PM
MONAVIERONJON
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some insight can also be found on youtube, was considering this as well for the HPCR, would say for a donor truck with minimal miles its in the 4k range

Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
The engine swap section on here has a few pretty good threads also.i had a cummins from my lastcrusiers project

Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
The engine swap section on here has a few pretty good threads also.i had a cummins from my last project but just could not bring myself to do it.just too hung up on my pstroke....so i sold it!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordman67
The engine swap section on here has a few pretty good threads also.i had a cummins from my last project but just could not bring myself to do it.just too hung up on my pstroke....so i sold it!
And i almost bought it! Missed it by a day lol. Just messing with you bud Ive decided to keep the Stroke in my current rig, and then once i finish school ill build my Cummins powered Ford with a F350 SC/LB. But, As for your question, I'm sure you already know of it but check out the site Destroked. They sell everything you need. Do a google search, you'll find more sites too. Ive always been interest in Fummins trucks, something about a OBS Ford with the cummins roar is awesome. But i love my International powered Ford too much i guess. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Thanks for the info guys. I was completely unaware that there was a motor swap section on here. I know this would maybe get negative comments due to a cummins conversion but like I said this is a 460 that is getting pulled. I have my 7.3 truck and am currently beefing it up, but I would like to put a more updated motor in the gas truck. The new common rail cummins is pretty rediculous in the power and mpg department and I thought it would be a good option for a gas motor replacement, however I heard its a bitch to get it in there and thats why a 24 valve is a bit more simple of a conversion.

I have looked into Destroked, and a ton of other sites, however there are not too many complete write ups out there...some with a few pics of a completed truck and thats it. I am not worried about parts searching more of the install though.... I'd like to read as much as I can before I dive into this next year. I still need to finish up a couple of the mods on the 7.3 and then I'm going to just leave her alone till she needs a turbo.

I noticed the winner of Diesel Powermags competition is a CO boy with an OBS with a 24 valve... I'd really like to see what it takes and being local I'd love to go see the truck.

Rocky Hon with Rockn S Diesel

Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I am sure there are tons of threads out there for doing this swap, in fact there are complete sites dedicated to the Cummins 6BT swaps, but I doubt you will find a lot of them here on FTE. There may be a few guys that can give you some good references, but most of us still drive the PSDs...

A 24V with a ZF5 behind it is a nice combination. Solid too.

I agree and that is exactly and thats exactly what was in my head... I'd like a 6 speed so a ZF6 might be my choice... Be able to get rid of all the electronic controlled tranny crap too.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

I know off the top of my head that the exhaust manifold will have to be changed or a custom one needs to be made in order to clear something with the heater core. Also, something for the AC had to be relocated seem to remember.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

And what are you going to do about song/environmental inspections? idk about where you live, but since your starting with a gas rig that has to be smogged, I'm sure theres some crap you need to settle with that. Unless you have a buddy who owns the smog place

Old 08-08-2012, 01:01 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Those are some of the small bean issues for me. I'm more interested in build info for fitting the tranny and motor in and what modification need to be made for hard parts.

Thats good to know about the manifold and I will have to look into that. Smog wise that is easily taken care of..luckily we are not in CA. AC... If I can make it work easily I'll do it...otherwise I could care less if it has it.

I am still having a hard time finding a good thread about a previous install, what issues people ran into... these are just tidbits of info from all over with no real explanation. I'm looking for the Complete package.... I am aware of some of the bigger issues that are brought up by companies like ATS and Destroked but actual fitment and what to keep electronically/ sensors/ fuel/ all that stuff... I'm sure I will be needing a complete fuel system as well... Those sort of issues

I'd be nuts to think if I went and bought a motor and tranny and 2000 worth of conversion parts with instructions provided by the vendor it would all go together as planned...nope... there are always issues

Old 08-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by nossliw
Those are some of the small bean issues for me. I'm more interested in build info for fitting the tranny and motor in and what modification need to be made for hard parts.

Thats good to know about the manifold and I will have to look into that. Smog wise that is easily taken care of..luckily we are not in CA. AC... If I can make it work easily I'll do it...otherwise I could care less if it has it.

I am still having a hard time finding a good thread about a previous install, what issues people ran into... these are just tidbits of info from all over with no real explanation. I'm looking for the Complete package.... I am aware of some of the bigger issues that are brought up by companies like ATS and Destroked but actual fitment and what to keep electronically/ sensors/ fuel/ all that stuff... I'm sure I will be needing a complete fuel system as well... Those sort of issues

I'd be nuts to think if I went and bought a motor and tranny and 2000 worth of conversion parts with instructions provided by the vendor it would all go together as planned...nope... there are always issues
Unless your using a dodge tranny youll need an adapter plate. If you use a zf5 your good with the adapter plate. The zf6 is longer and youll have to make some modifications to the floorboard. Youll also have to move the cross member i believe

Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

And obviously a custom motor mounts, either by em or make your own

Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I have heard from a reliable source that there are adapters out there to let you use the stock Ford A/C compressor on the 6BT swap as well. I can't say where to start looking but I believe they're available.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:56 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Some issues are really owner prefrences.no two will be the same between installers.others are just vehicle specific and are limited by the installers ability.the mounts,adapters etc are easily overcome depending on budjet.other things like trans selection manual vs auto will determine other things for you.
yea rocky has one awesome ride! I would love to see it in action and look at it in person.

Quick Reply: 97 460 CC Diesel Conversion with a 24V OR 03+ CR