Sponsored by: Moser

Betty turns oil burner

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
With the extensive masking you are doing on some things I'm surprised what you don't mask off, like the inside of the water neck, do you plan on running a coolant filter for when the paint comes off and into the coolant system?

I image with the great quality of work and extra efforts on appearance that you will be heavily cleaning and painting/coating inside the engine compartment while there's nothing in there? I used Duplicolor Undercoat on the firewall when the engine bay was empty, seems to be holding up great, looks pretty good and was a very minimal improvement in sound/heat insulation. Cost me about $10 as compared to the much more expensive Lizard Skin and other brands.

Kind of a ramble and unfortunately I routinely fail at picture posts so that drags out explanations.
I can say, I've never had a coolant issue with the small amount if paint inside the water passages. I may wipe the inside out with some lacquer thinner for s$&ts and giggles. I'd be really surprised if Evans waterless ate paint, since it's anti corrosive.

As far as the engine compartment I am considering finding a set of new inner fender wells, and have them cad plated. (Pick n pull). The firewall I'm not sure. I might get some of that heat shielding, even though the inside of the truck is heavily insulated. I am going to re paint the front of the frame as well due to the fab work.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot you had mentioned the Evans, and it's the first I've ever heard of it. The only thing that would concern me in the long term is the paint clogging up the coolant/oil cooler as I am unaware of the design being Fin, Plate or Coil and could see a Fin cooler prone to clogging.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:53 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Forgot you had mentioned the Evans, and it's the first I've ever heard of it. The only thing that would concern me in the long term is the paint clogging up the coolant/oil cooler as I am unaware of the design being Fin, Plate or Coil and could see a Fin cooler prone to clogging.
Yeah. It's a stack of plates but there is just over a 1/16" between them. Clogging those would be pretty hard. Even with all of the corrosion in the block before those plates were clear.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 AM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you running the evans to keep temps up and shoot for better mpgs?

Old 11-08-2013, 01:26 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by blue04.5
Are you running the evans to keep temps up and shoot for better mpgs?
No mostly for corrosion, also it's a lifetime coolant. I hate popping a radiator cap and seeing a brown mess. This time considering everything in the cooling system is basically new, I figured I'd run the best stuff on the market. I also like that it has a super high boiling point. So there is less chance of over heating.

I don't think the Evans would raise the running temp any. It should stay the same with the cummins 180 thermostat I put in.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 AM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, got ya. Everything I read about it said it runs about 30-40 degrees warmer than the typical water coolant mix. Some of the powerstroke guys claim their trucks picked up mpgs when their truck ran warmer. Will you be running it as a no pressure system? Apparently you can run evans as a zero pressure system.
Meant to ask also, I probably missed it, but I notice your attention to detail with your motor build, what are your plans for the alternator? Did you clean up the original or get a new one? Build is looking great, going to be a nice set up when finished.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:58 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by blue04.5
OK, got ya. Everything I read about it said it runs about 30-40 degrees warmer than the typical water coolant mix. Some of the powerstroke guys claim their trucks picked up mpgs when their truck ran warmer. Will you be running it as a no pressure system? Apparently you can run evans as a zero pressure system.
Meant to ask also, I probably missed it, but I notice your attention to detail with your motor build, what are your plans for the alternator? Did you clean up the original or get a new one? Build is looking great, going to be a nice set up when finished.
No, I'll run it as a regular pressure system.

For the alternator I'll be buying one from PA performance that is 1 wire converted.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 PM
co425
Cargo Master
The valve covers are done. I painted them and baked them in the toaster oven. .

Also got the lift pump block off on.

I also have some fuel injectors on order. They are 5 x 0.012 SAC injectors with 145 degree spray pattern, 90 horsepower over stock.

Next stop rebuilt injection pump.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 AM
wyckedcombo17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you planning on a stock pump, or something special?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:06 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by wyckedcombo17
you planning on a stock pump, or something special?
The stock lift pump and fuel heater went in the trash. Hence the block off in its place. I'll be running an airdogII fuel pump either a 100 or 150 gph. The stock lift pump won't keep up with 500hp at rpm.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That thing looks awesome! stellar work! (nice to see a WIX filter too) (pet peeve you shouldn't have painted the mating surfaces)

Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 AM
brobrad
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks really good. I went through the whole thread this morning (too much pizza last night during football game with friends over). I do like the clear cad coating. I also like the cummins red. I've got a ve pumped 6bt, but ran across a 97 blowing oil out of the vent tube so I'm going to tear her down and take a look. I've got a 69 CC going on an 04 SD CC FX4 frame. I've got a lot of work to do and my skills are not where yours (nor budget) but it is very encouraging to see how it's all coming together. Keep up the pics and posts.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by brobrad
I've got a lot of work to do and my skills are not where yours (nor budget) but it is very encouraging to see how it's all coming together. Keep up the pics and posts.
CO425 does good work!

Long live the diesel.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Thumbs up attention to D

" I am considering finding a set of new inner fender wells, and have them cad plated" Zink or clear? thanks again co425,you have helped alot of us,,,,How would powder coat react with the Galvanized inners?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:43 PM
co425
Cargo Master
[QUOTE=montana_highboy;13728165]That thing looks awesome! stellar work! (nice to see a WIX filter too) (pet peeve you shouldn't have painted the mating surfaces)

The important ones I didn't paint over. I didn't like even doing that to the ones I did paint over myself, but I've spent hours masking crap and figured the exhaust is going to burn out anyways, the water inlets are O-ringed so no biggie there. The only other one is the intake I'll probably laquer thinner that sucker where the gasket sits. Some of the surfaces are deceptive like the oil cooler housing, it's only painted on the edge that you can see.

Some times lacquer thinner to take off paint is a better option than spending the time to mask really complicated areas.

Quick Reply: Betty turns oil burner