Sponsored by:

Speed Control - Towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 PM
kconrad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Control - Towing

We just got back from our first big trip with the EX since we have owned it. We towed our (new to us) 25' TT up to northern Michigan (Elk Rapids area). This was my first time pulling a camper this far. We have been on smaller weekend trips with it.

My question to all of you guys is regarding the speed control. I tried using it but when it was going up a slight incline it would not kick back down. I would have to turn off the speed control in order for the RPM's to drop back. Do you guys use your spped control while towing? What about over-drive? Should I have it on or off?

By the way, we had a great time and so glad we have the EX!!! Kids had plenty of room. Got about 8 MPG! That's how we roll!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I use cruise control all the time for my travel-trailer.

Only take it out of OD when your trans starts gear-hunting while headed up an incline, or if you find yourself running too hot and need to have higher RPM's to cool it down a touch.

Stewart

Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
We took our first trip (4500 mi) in our V10 X pulling our TT a couple of months ago. Averaged about the same mileage. We did use our cruise control on the level parts of the trip (most of WY and NE), but in the hills I would shut it off. Coming from a 7.3L and a 6.0L (diesels) I can tell you that the V10 is an entirely different beast. I have to get used to the higher rpm of the gas engine. Peak torque is made around 2400 rpm. That would be the sweet spot or happy spot, but to me it sounds like it is screaming. LOL

Old 08-06-2012, 05:38 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,103 Likes on 560 Posts
I don't use the cruise much while towing unless it's flat, drops down a gear too frequently to suit me. I prefer to build a little speed on the downhill and let it drop back going up if I can avoid a shift. The cruise works hard to maintain the speed, not always the most economical.

As others have said, I use OD unless it's hunting. MPG really drops in 3rd.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:03 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Sure seems like one of the auto manufacturers would put some technology into cruise control. If it would sense a hill and allow the speed to be reduced. Where the cruise would do what is best for mileage. Where it would sense the A/C is on and hot outside, so that it would not load the engine as much.... etc. Lots of technology could be adapted to make it more intelligent.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 822 Likes on 568 Posts
I don't use CC when towing. I monitor my instant MPGs with an Ultra-Gauge (Our XLT doesn't have a Lie-O-Meter). I am happy to give up a little speed while climbing and make it back up on the downhill side after watching what happens to the MPGs when the beast drops a gear or two trying to keep the speed up. Just before this past July's trip I swapped my original 3.73's for a new 4.88 rear axle housing and it made a real difference. I haven't crunched my numbers yet but the frequency of downshifts was much less on normal rolling highways and the extra gear was nice in the mountains!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Just before this past July's trip I swapped my original 3.73's for a new 4.88 rear axle housing and it made a real difference. I haven't crunched my numbers yet but the frequency of downshifts was much less on normal rolling highways and the extra gear was nice in the mountains!
Thread hyjack...
If I may ask,what was the cost to do the gear swap? I'm just trying to find the best price now.

Oh, get those numbers crunched. I'm so curious. I have 37's with the 3.73's.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 822 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by RACERX7775
Thread hyjack...
If I may ask,what was the cost to do the gear swap? I'm just trying to find the best price now.

Oh, get those numbers crunched. I'm so curious. I have 37's with the 3.73's.

Sorry Rob, I got these new axle housings with 4.88/locker off ebay, forum member jasonodsky posted up an auction link and I worked out a (good) deal with the seller after the auction ended.
Hyjack over....

Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 PM
kconrad
Senior User
This is very good info. The gears makes since to help things out. I haven't checked to see what our EX has. By going to 4.88 do you loose any torque in 4-wheel drive?

So it seems the majority are not using CC. So on long trips those of you who are traveling long distances have to be tired. I know I was tired just from a 8 hour trip.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kconrad
We just got back from our first big trip with the EX since we have owned it. We towed our (new to us) 25' TT up to northern Michigan (Elk Rapids area). This was my first time pulling a camper this far. We have been on smaller weekend trips with it.

My question to all of you guys is regarding the speed control. I tried using it but when it was going up a slight incline it would not kick back down. I would have to turn off the speed control in order for the RPM's to drop back. Do you guys use your spped control while towing? What about over-drive? Should I have it on or off?

By the way, we had a great time and so glad we have the EX!!! Kids had plenty of room. Got about 8 MPG! That's how we roll!
If you want to use the cruise and want it to upshift when it seems to not want to, just stick your foot on the skinny pedal and increase your speed ever so slightly above what the cruise has it at. When you let off, it will upshift.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I use my cruise and OD all the time when on the highway (7.3). A hill here and there I let it kick down and climb the hill. When I am in a area that is hill after hill I will shut the OD off but leave the cruise on.

Also like Scott mentioned when I have OD on and I see a hill coming I will go over the set cruise speed manually a bit before hitting the hill to keep the speed up and the trans in OD up and over the hill.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I use my cruise and OD all the time when on the highway (7.3). A hill here and there I let it kick down and climb the hill. When I am in a area that is hill after hill I will shut the OD off but leave the cruise on.

Also like Scott mentioned when I have OD on and I see a hill coming I will go over the set cruise speed manually a bit before hitting the hill to keep the speed up and the trans in OD up and over the hill.
I do that also but that's not what I was talking about. When you are going up a hill and the cruise kicks the tranny down a gear, it will hold it in that gear for what seems like much longer than it should. You can speed up just a little at that point and then let off and it will drop it back to the next lower gear.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8scott72
I do that also but that's not what I was talking about. When you are going up a hill and the cruise kicks the tranny down a gear, it will hold it in that gear for what seems like much longer than it should. You can speed up just a little at that point and then let off and it will drop it back to the next lower gear.
My X does exactly that. I thought something was wrong until I did some investigation. It just seems like forever that it holds 3rd gear. Maybe because my exhaust is so loud...

Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes it does stay down a gear for longer than it needs to but it never bothered me much. If it goes on to long I will manually increase the speed a bit then let off the gas peddle and it will go back to OD.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I've towed 10's of thousands of miles with our V10 powered Ex and travel trailer all over this beautiful country.

We've been to and through more mountain ranges than I can remember...Rockies (3 times), Big Horns (twice), Appalachians, Smokies, you name it...our V10 has pulled it!

We've pulled about 10,000 miles with the Ex geared with 3.73's and the rest with the 4.30's we have now.

I am much happier with the 4.30's because it allows me to NOT have to downshift on every hill.

The extra ~300 RPMs the 4.30's give you are just enough to keep the V10 where she is most comfortable with towing.

I do NOT use CC at all while towing...and remember I've towed a lot with this truck (we just got back from a 4,800 mile trip about 2 weeks ago out to North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota...so we had more hills on this trip too...600 gallons worth...LOL)...anyway...I don't use CC for a couple of reasons but the most important one is that the CC is a switch...if you drop any speed it wants to maintain the set speed regardless of what gear she needs...I've learned that the V10 likes to be "massaged" while she drives...I'm constantly making very small pedal adjustments while I drive but most of which will not cause a gear shift...It is amazing how small of a change you need on the go pedal but the speed change is NOT instant...you can see the speed increase (even on hills in OD) if you are patient...some just aren't patient (myself included sometimes) and you want instant gratification...be patient with the V10 and make small go pedal adjustments and you will see speed changes (even on hills!).

As far as gear change costs...I paid $1500 for parts and labor for BOTH axles about 5 years ago...I'm sure it has gone up as has everything. The shop I used here in Fort Wayne has a guy that has worked at Dana Axles for over 40 years that did my axles...I have been extremely happy with the 4.30's behind the V10 with stock tires...I know you have much larger tires Robert...

Joe.

Quick Reply: Speed Control - Towing