Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cowl stamp deciphering help!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Cowl stamp deciphering help!

I searched for answers, but none of the references I found on here match the order of the cowl stamp on my '51 F4:

RH F4 H 2IH 2272

I read that as:

RH = Richmond plant
F4 = F4
H = is this color (Silvertone Gray) or 226 I6 engine?
2IH = ?? maybe it's a 21 for the 21st of August
2272 = number off the line

I found several references to similar stamps but the layout was different.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
1950 79 ford
Freshman User
1950 79 ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is a vin decoder on this sight. I haven't tried it on my 1950 f1, but it worked on my 1979 f150.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Thanks, but it's not my VIN. That's on the plate on my cowl, stamped into the frame and on the tag on the glove box door.

This is the stamp in the center of my cowl, and it is unlike any I've seen explained here. The spacing is just as I typed it: RH F4 H 2IH 2272.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:13 PM
1950 79 ford
Freshman User
1950 79 ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I hadn't noticed anything like that on my f1, but I haven't really been looking for anything like that. Guess I should though.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Originally Posted by 1950 79 ford View Post
Well I hadn't noticed anything like that on my f1, but I haven't really been looking for anything like that. Guess I should though.
That's funny, because I've had this truck for a year, and never looked for this stamp until today. I don't know if it's on all Ford trucks, but I know it's on the '48 to '52s.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
I searched for answers, but none of the references I found on here match the order of the cowl stamp on my '51 F4:

RH F4 H 2IH 2272

I read that as:

RH = Richmond plant
F4 = F4
H = is this color (Silvertone Gray) or 226 I6 engine?
2IH = ?? maybe it's a 21 for the 21st of August
2272 = number off the line

I found several references to similar stamps but the layout was different.

Any help would be appreciated.
It's my uneducated opinion that you have deciphered it here as good as it's going to get. I'd say someone got a little crazy with the stamps and mixed up the standard order, but all the info is there. And you're correct, it's 21 August for the build date code. H would be color code.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 PM
South of BC
Elder User
South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:48 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Just to poke a little further, from reading some stuff on-line, I'm believing that the 2272 means the 2,272th of that model off the line? Not the 2,272th truck, but the 2,272th F-4 (in this case)?

Likewise, on the serial numbers, is this the same numbering used? So there could be a #002272 F-1 as well as a #002272 F-4? Since the cabs were all the same, I don't know why they would do that, but several sources imply that was the case.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Originally Posted by South of BC View Post

Thanks, but I read that one before starting this thread. It's not the same sequence on the '49 or '50 apparently, as Harlymsn Joe's truck cowl stamp number is arranged differently.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
It's my uneducated opinion that you have deciphered it here as good as it's going to get. I'd say someone got a little crazy with the stamps and mixed up the standard order, but all the info is there. And you're correct, it's 21 August for the build date code. H would be color code.
I thought the date stamp must mean 21 August, even thought the stamped "1" looks like an "I".

I was mainly looking for verification of the color stamp being the central "H", which is Silvertone Gray for '51. I didn't think the cowl stamp indicated the engine, i.e. H for the 226 I6. So that's what I'm going to go with for the stamp decipher.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Thanks, but I read that one before starting this thread. It's not the same sequence on the '49 or '50 apparently, as Harlymsn Joe's truck cowl stamp number is arranged differently.
As I mentioned above, I think you just have an anomaly with a mixed up order. The most odd thing about yours is the apparent series code (F4) stamped there. That is unusual. But keep in mind we aren't talking about rocket scientists, here. These are guys who had a hammer and a rack of stamps in their hands going as fast as they can on moving vehicles. Anyway, that's my 2c, fwiw.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Just to poke a little further, from reading some stuff on-line, I'm believing that the 2272 means the 2,272th of that model off the line? Not the 2,272th truck, but the 2,272th F-4 (in this case)?

Likewise, on the serial numbers, is this the same numbering used? So there could be a #002272 F-1 as well as a #002272 F-4? Since the cabs were all the same, I don't know why they would do that, but several sources imply that was the case.
That is my understanding too, that this was the 2,272nd F4 produced in 1951. I can't believe they made that many F4s just in Richmond in 1951, but maybe they did.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:17 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
I thought that the sequence number was the vehicle number coming down the line whether it was a truck or a car, and not necessarily the particular number of the specific vehicle being built.

Also, where did you find the stampings on the cowl? My 52 was also made in Richmond, but I don't see anything stamped on the cowl. My 51 was made in Highland Park, MI and also doesn't seem to have the stampings on the cowl.

I thought that only 48-50s had the stampings on the cowl.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.
Pictures, we need pictures. Interesting find.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Here's the stamp. From the pic you may not be able to tell, but it's just to the driver's side of center.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cowl stamp deciphering help!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.