Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

UGH!!! Hutch mod issues in my X...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
In response to "Ugh" - Ick. This is a serious mod, if you switch to a conventional pickup/sender. Is this the back tank or the side tank? Do you have dual tanks? How are your electrical skills? Here's what I found:

Attached Images    
Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
So you have 2 tanks or just one? I know Stewart told me last week that there are no CA model X's but this is a little wierd to me. I guess I'm just missing something.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 PM
LMPLLC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only one tank, after the axle. Also if you don't believe that there aren't any California Excursions or Super Duty's look at your glow plug relay and see which one you have. This is the one that is on my truck:

I dont know why the pictures aren't coming up but here is the link:

http://k-mansparts.com/images/DY876_med.jpg

Ok I rentered the link of the picture and it works. Now I had this "Glow Plug control Module" on my truck. Not a glow plug relay like most other super duties. Even on the website that I sent the picture of ( Motorcraft Glow Plug Control Module) it says "2000-2003 Ford F-Series Super Duty trucks and Excursion 7.3 with California emissions". When I had glow plug issues you have no idea of how much of a PITA it was to trouble shoot the problem. I am still getting codes for glow plugs but I know they are all working! It's driving me nuts! But my other issue right now is fuel delivery and loss of pressure.

Oh and Tugly thanks for the diagrams big help!!! This is such a head ache!

Old 07-22-2012, 12:40 PM
LMPLLC
Senior User
After looking at the diagrams I might just cut the pig tail on the new sending unit and put on the pig tail from my old one. Splice the proper wires together and be done with it. I'm just worried still because the new sending units are showing two pig tails.

I also checked for power a little bit ago coming out of the connector on the truck side and I wasn't getting anything. I tried with a test light and then a multimeter. The voltage was jumping all over the place then going into the negative... is that even possible?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by LMPLLC
Ugh well it looks like I found the problem and this was what I was worried about. Apparently my Excursion is a "California Vehicle"
Only one tank, after the axle. Also if you don't believe that there aren't any California Excursions or Super Duty's look at your glow plug relay and see which one you have. This is the one that is on my truck:
There is no such thing as a "California" Excursion. They are all the same when it comes to a 7.3L powered Ex. All 7.3L Excursion have GPCM's.

You might have missed my post where I stated my 2000 Ex did NOT have that fuel pick-up setup posted in your pic. It looks like someone before you changed out the OEM setup to the one you have now because the kit Strictly Diesel sells (formerly ITP Diesel) looks EXACTLY like the one I bought for my Ex, and it's exactly the same as the ones for the F250/350's. There is no choice when it comes to pre-pump kits.

Stewart

Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Here's a picture of the pre-pump kit for the F250/350 trucks Strictly Diesel sells:

Here's the picture of the pre-pump kit for the Excursion Strictly Diesel sells:

Dennis uses the same picture because it's the same kit because the fuel pick-up is the same on the trucks and the Ex.

Someone has changed out your OEM setup.

Stewart

Old 07-22-2012, 01:45 PM
LMPLLC
Senior User
Well from what I can tell there are no modifications done to that pick up. Infact, in the bottom of the tank is a permanent mount that the pick up locks/clips into. Now, I have plastic tank in my truck, I heard that they were steel but changed to plastic somewhere in 2000. I don't know if that's true or not, but if I did have a steel tank then that will explain the difference in the truck. But as from what I can tell there was no modifications, no altered wiring, or an altered gas tank. I just don't understand why this site

Motorcraft Glow Plug Control Module

and I know I have seen it elsewhere where it says "California" in their descriptions. Also I remember when I posted about my glow plug issue on this site or another and showed the control module not many people knew what it was and the only ones that did referenced my truck as a "California" truck. So that's what's been pretty much drilled into my head. Even O'Reily's says "California" as their description.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...Duty&year=2001

But I have to agree with you at some point here, even though what I see in the picture of these pickups are the same they still have two pig tails unlike my pick up. Does anyone know how many wires go to a standard pick up? Is it four? Also does the standard pick up have a booster pump like mine inside of it? I'll go back out and look at the top of the sending unit to see if there is any modifications to it. That's my only guess. Maybe for some weird reason they got a new/used tank and modified the sending unit that was in it to the sending unit that was on the truck. But that would make no sense. I'll also take a picture of the mount thats at the bottom of the tank so you can see what I am talking about.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
...and I know I have seen it elsewhere where it says "California" in their descriptions. Also I remember when I posted about my glow plug issue on this site or another and showed the control module not many people knew what it was and the only ones that did referenced my truck as a "California" truck. So that's what's been pretty much drilled into my head. Even O'Reily's says "California" as their description.
Because for the trucks, there IS a California model. My F250 is a California model because it's different than other F250's in that it came with the GPCM from the factory. Trucks bound for other states got the GPR.

However, there is no difference in any 7.3L PSD Excursion. They all came with GPCM's, so there is no California model.

Stewart

Old 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I just confirmed that Pete's 2000 Ex (Duck Fan), and Nick's 2001 Ex (weekendwarrior) have the standard OEM fuel pick-up.

Do you still have the OEM fuel pump on the side frame of your rig?

Stewart

Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 PM
LMPLLC
Senior User
Yes, I replaced it already thinking that was the problem and it wasn't.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 PM
LMPLLC
Senior User
I did find a part number on that in tank sending unit. The number I have is F81U9K168AC I can't find anything on it.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I did find a part number on that in tank sending unit. The number I have is F81U9K168AC I can't find anything on it.
Plugging that in to the Tousley Ford Parts website say's it's not a good Ford parts number.

Stewart

Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM
LMPLLC
Senior User
Ok here is a few photos of the sending unit and the numbers on it this first one is obvious and this is a picture of the actual unit that sits in the fuel:

This other one is of the top of the unit, it looks like 9H607AD and underneath it says prefix of "YC3U". I don't know why I still can't find this thing. If you also look the manufacture dates are both March of 2000 and my truck is a 2000.

And by the way thank you so much for all the help so far! I will figure this out! With a little help! ;-)

Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 AM
LMPLLC
Senior User
Hey Tugly would you have a schematic for the three pin that comes off this pick up. Not only is there a 7/8 pin connector there is also a 3 pin connector. I think I am just gonna buy another one of these pick ups and clip off the pig tails and put on the original pigtail but before doing so I want to make sure I know what the 3 pin connector is for that they are showing.

Also I am doing some research this morning before work, is it possible that I have a gas sending unit? Would it matter if it was in diesel or gas even if it was a gas sending unit. Some sites are listing it as gas some as diesel. The numbers I found that look to possibly work is PFS 280 which looks very promising, PFS 281, 282, and 277. Even the Bosch 67136. I also found that the number on top of the sending unit (YC3U-9H607AD) has to be right and I don't know why I can't find it. I have seen similar numbers elsewhere like 3C7U-9H307-PA.

Quick Reply: UGH!!! Hutch mod issues in my X...