1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Linkage question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linkage question

I've installed a 302 with a 650 Edelbrock carb and want to use stock F100 throttle linkage but it ends up on the wrong side of the carb. I'm thinking of just bending some small linkage rod to reach acroos the back of the carb to the linkage. Is this do able or what do I need to do?? Any and all suggestions muchly appreciated!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
A lot of vehicles of this age used a bellcrank linkage, A horizontal rod ~ 1/4" in diameter mounted horizontally across the firewall on two brackets. A lever is attached to each end. the pedal linkage is attached to one lever, a rod from the other lever goes to the carb. You can adjust the location of the levers and the rod length to put the linkages where you need them, you can adjust the lever lengths and relative position on the arms to change the linkage from push to pull or vise versa, how far the carb linkage moves with the gas pedal movement, and make the movement linear or progressive.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Thanks Ax, I was hoping to keep my firewall clean and not have any brackets there, but may adapt your idea to something bolting to the motor. Are there any kits you know of that one could buy that I could modify???

Old 07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hang tight, I have a 302 sitting in my shop with an automatic transmission and Edelbrock carb. It was in my dad's truck and used the stock throttle. He made up linkage. I'll take some pics later today and post them for you.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:58 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CdnWillyG
Thanks Ax, I was hoping to keep my firewall clean and not have any brackets there, but may adapt your idea to something bolting to the motor. Are there any kits you know of that one could buy that I could modify???
I don't know of any kits, but it souldn't be a major fab problem on the firewall or engine. You can get flanged nylon bushings in the specialty hardware drawers at Ace or Home depot, A large hobby shop specializing in radio controk models may stock linkage parts for large scale airplanes, adjustable control arms (levers with set screws) miniature heim joints, connectors, etc.
or try tower hobbies online. Just make sure what you get is large enough.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Summit sells cable throttle setups cheap, or you can go to the boneyard and find many to chose from.

Someone else had a picture on here a week or so ago of a PO's modification to the stock linkage, where they cut the passenger side arm off and welded it on the driver's side of the linkage, which is simple to do. Here it is: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...all-52-f1.html

Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Here is a pic of my question:

so I mocked up something that might work with a coat hanger, that has issues. But I'm thinking off the carb mounts I could build/find a linkage that could go there. Any issues being that close to the carb???

South, I'm hanging in there to see what your dad did for his.
Boneyard might be in my near future!!!!
Getting hard to find vehicles there with carbs though.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Doesn't need to be a carb'd vehicle, most throttle bodies use a ball end that the cable end snaps over.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello *****,

Sorry to leave you hanging, I've got seventeen new piglets to tend to and it's garlic harvesting time. Anyway, here's the pics. I can't tell if the bell crank is a factory item or home made. You can see he cut off the arm on the throttle and welded on a fitting. Sacramento Vintage Ford sells one that similar. Anyway, I don't know if any of this helps or inspires, but I wish you the best in solving your problem.

Attached Images      
Old 07-19-2012, 06:15 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I'd like to have seen a pic more towards the firewall, but it looks like you already have a bellcrank but the problem is your present linkage is (for the I-6?) on the passenger side of the carb and you need it on the drivers side? I was picturing it the other way around.
Looks like a cable kit would be the easiest and cleanest solution, especially if you are trying to keep the firewall clean. That's what I have on mine, I made one simple bracket on my engine to hold the end of the cable jacket in line with the carb. I'll look to see if I have a picture.

Here's the only one I had on hand:

This is a Lokar cable kit the inner cable is not installed here. I made the simple bracket that holds the end of the black plastic covered cable jacket. The end of the steel cable goes into the connector hanging off the carb.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Thanks South, your pics give me sme ideas.
Ax, the old girl was running a flattie V8 when I got her. The Lokar may be the answer if I can't make something to work from stock.
Thanks for all the input now I need to deside which way to go!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 848 Likes on 480 Posts
all you need is to find a 53-56 with a 6 cylinder in it and get the pedal linkage from it as the 6 cyl trucks have a differnt style and makes it line up perfectly with the 4 v carbs.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Now that's great news......
anyone have one???

Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 848 Likes on 480 Posts
I sent you a PM with my email address. I can help.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Well all I did was cut back the V8 linkage to look like the I6 and all is good. The only issue I have now is that from zero to full throttle, my gas pedal is only moving about 2". Is that normal?
I know I need a stiffer return spring or I will be at full throttle all the time.

Quick Reply: Linkage question