1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Headliner question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:21 AM
WD4B
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headliner question

Just curious, what would be involved in installing a headliner in my 81 F100, that has never had one?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm interested in the outcome of this, as my truck didn't come with one either

Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I was gonna do this at one time, I got a headliner or two from the JY but ultimately decided to get an entire new cab (neither of which I installed yet).

In addition to the interior cab light in the back, the factory used some clippy things along the edges to hold the things up. If you've never had a headliner and want to use factory retainers, you'll need to cut small, rectangular holes around the edges into which the clippy things - which also hold up the plastic trim - are installed. At least, this is how I remember it.

Truth be told, the factory uses parts & methods that allow for short amounts of assembly time on the production line, sheet metal screws and large washers would also work I'd guess as the headliner is only cardboard. The plastic trim around the edges, though, that would need to be figured out....

Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Wagonboy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I was thinkin' of using the big cardboard type from the earlier years trucks, or maybe a chevy headliner. It would just be screwed to the cross braces?

Jim

Old 07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
ctubutis
I don't remember the structural configuration (cross-braces and whatnot) but I'd say do what you think is appropriate and adequate, it's only cardboard.

I'd imagine a headliner from another vehicle make could be made to work but it's not going to have the sun-visor & lamp holes nor edge/corner creases in the right places.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All 1980-1996 F-Series trucks use a double wall roof. That means there are two complete sections of roof, one on the outside, and one on the inside.

Like Chris said, to do the headliner the factory way, you have to cut all of the holes into the interior sheet metal panels. I added all of the extra plastic trim to my truck, and truth be told, the holes I cut are horrible. I'll eventually need to go back and clean them up. A Dremel would be a great friend, because cutting the holes is an absolute nightmare.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
The plastic A pillar caps are different, there are trim caps over the doors and back window, and instead of little "cups" over the shoulder belt reel, the entire corner between the rear window and door frame has a colored plastic cover. If you are wanting to install a headliner, you are pretty much going to need to pull the entire interior out of a donor truck or it will look "hacked". Yes ford used blind clips pressed into square holes on the inner wall of the cab, but if it were me (and it ~is me because I'm getting ready to put one in my project truck) I would just use attractive, well placed sheet metal screws through the trim strips and forget the blind clips. A little matching paint on the screw heads and call it good... unless you are talking about a show truck which I assume we are not.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my no headliner look....

Old 07-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
I like my no headliner look....
Agreed. I would not want to install a headliner if I had none. With no headliner, you can attach refrigerator magnets to your cab ceiling...

Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 PM
85blackbeauty
Junior User
My '85 did not have a headliner when I first got it. I went to Pull a part and found a '91 that had the right color, and took the headliner, sunvisors, and map light out, and I dont htink it cost over $25 or $30. Those years fit our trucks perfectly, no trimming or headaches at all. These headliners are the carboard backed mind, so there is no clips or rods to hassle with. The headliner definitely enhanced the look of the inside, and cut down a lot on the noise. Definitely worth the time and trip to the pull yard.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 85blackbeauty
My '85 did not have a headliner when I first got it. I went to Pull a part and found a '91 that had the right color, and took the headliner, sunvisors, and map light out, and I dont htink it cost over $25 or $30. Those years fit our trucks perfectly, no trimming or headaches at all. These headliners are the carboard backed mind, so there is no clips or rods to hassle with. The headliner definitely enhanced the look of the inside, and cut down a lot on the noise. Definitely worth the time and trip to the pull yard.

So, how did you install it?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
85blackbeauty
Junior User
The installation was straightforward. This headliner has a cloth covering over a cardboard backing. In my truck, there was plastic molding that runs over the tops of the doors, across the top of the wndshield, and over the back glass. I took down the plastic trim, and the headliner simply mounts behind these trim pieces. If your truck doesn't have these pieces, then you would have to acquire the pieces and drill the holes to mount them. The sunvisors screw in where the old ones went without modifications. I just need to find out how to make the map light work LOL!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Yeah, I don't have any of those trim pieces. I guess that will go on my jy list with everything else.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 PM
ctubutis
There is a different wiring harness for trucks with map lights; it runs from the light assembly, across the roof, down the B pillar and plugs in near the seat belt stuff. Basically, it includes a light-green/yellow-stripe wire for always-on power to those things.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM
85blackbeauty
Junior User
Thanks for your help. I guess I should have looked at the wiring better when I took all the other parts out. I see a trip to the junkyard again!

Quick Reply: Headliner question