1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just bought a 1950 f2, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 1950 f2, Help!

Ok well this is my first post on the site,
Just bought a 1950 ford f2 pickup. Its got a v8 and 3 speed manual tansmission. I was wondering if any one on here wouldn't mind coming down and taking a look at the engine, and giving me an idea of where to start on this beast, or to help me get it firing. Ill buy you a case of your favorite beer!!!

Also I am looking to convert it to a 12 volt system, anyone have a list of supplies and new parts I would need?

I live in Costa Mesa, CA

Old 07-16-2012, 06:58 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome!

First, a couple things:
1 - where are you? If you add your location to your profile so it shows up in the header of each post we can help you better.

2 - Pictures! we really like pictures on this site. Also, it will help us see what you are working on and give us a better idea of the condition of everything.

Feel free to skip this part, I'm going to rant.
*start rant*
Why does everyone switch to 12V? These trucks were used for decades with 6V and worked fine. If you are concerned about starting, don't worry. I have driven 6V cars as daily transportation for 8 of the last 15 years. I never had a starting problem due to 6V. Want good headlights? 6V halogen lights are made. Want power windows, a huge booming stereo, power brakes, power steering, tilt, cruise, etc? Then why did you buy an old truck?
*end rant*

Sorry, I felt the need to get that off my chest. To kind of make up for ranting, I'll post a picture of my 1950 F-2.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:58 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Welcome to the board, if you were closer I'd be happy to come down and look at it. There might be a member near by willing to do so but CA is a huge state.

BTW, you can post your location in the right side of the upper border of your post, it could come in handy when you need help. You can do it by going into your control panel, like you did when you registered for FTE.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, ill get the location posted. No I dont want to modernize the truck, just want better headlights and a small stereo system. I hate power windows and would never desecrate an old truck like that. I plan on hiding a stereo in the glove box, is a stereo capable of running on jsut the 6 volts?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might get someone who can visit if you post over in the SoCal chapter here.

Oh, and we DEFINITELY need pictures. Lots and lots of pictures!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by TBHHUNT
Ok, ill get the location posted. No I dont want to modernize the truck, just want better headlights and a small stereo system. I hate power windows and would never desecrate an old truck like that. I plan on hiding a stereo in the glove box, is a stereo capable of running on jsut the 6 volts?
You'd be hard pressed to find a stereo that would work on 6 volt without a power inverter. If you go with a power inverter/booster just make sure you isolate the stereo from the body if you are keeping your truck stock positive ground. A modern stereo is make for negative ground.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
Welcome!

First, a couple things:
1 - where are you? If you add your location to your profile so it shows up in the header of each post we can help you better.

OK, I just have to chuckle out loud here. While you offer great advice and I whole-heartedly agree, I couldn't help but notice you don't have your location listed in your profile, either.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well guys....in the post he did say "I live in Costa Mesa, CA".

I'm a little too far north to stop by, but there are some FTE guys that are closer to you.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure that you'll find a lot of information here. We do like pictures!!

Is that the original flathead V8??

Dan

Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Ok well this is my first post on the site,
Just bought a 1950 ford f2 pickup. Its got a v8 and 3 speed manual tansmission. I was wondering if any one on here wouldn't mind coming down and taking a look at the engine, and giving me an idea of where to start on this beast, or to help me get it firing. Ill buy you a case of your favorite beer!!!

Also I am looking to convert it to a 12 volt system, anyone have a list of supplies and new parts I would need?

I live in Costa Mesa, CA
Well it is a bit far for me too but since I also have a 1950 F-2 (mostly) I'll be glad to help you from a distance. But, as others have pointed out, we need pictures.

To get your engine running the first question is will it turn over with the starter? If not can you turn the engine by hand? If not buy several can of WD40 or PBlaster and squirt about 10 seconds worth in each cylinder. Put the plugs back in and let it cook in the heat for a few days then try to turn it over by hand. Let us know if this is the problem as I'm sure others have their own cures for seized engines.

If the engine will turn over with the starter then the question is are you getting gas (fresh gas not what may be leftover in the tank) and/or are you getting spark?

If you cannot answer those basic questions then you may have bitten off more than you can chew and it will take lots more than a single visit and a case of beer.

Don't try to solve everything at once. Pick one task and go forward. Stay focused and be thorough. Most importantly, unless you are going to do a frame off restoration, do not get sidetracked or you could end up with a pile of parts. But make sure that you inspect things thoroughly when you take them apart. You often will have to go further than you planned to get a quality repair. The trick is knowing when to stop. Take lots of pictures BEFORE, DURING and AFTER you take things apart.

There are a lot of good people here that can give you invaluable help but everyone is scattered around the world. We mostly ask a lot of questions, read a lot then do the work ourselves.

Don't forget to post pictures.

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to FTE, and Congratualtions on your new truck.
Sorry but I'm not much help from Utah.

When I saw your location I thought of Julie, I mean Dan Decosta *****'s in Costa Mesa also and could get your wiring all fixed up in a jiffy (sorry! inside joke)

Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Welcome! We used to have a member right there in Costa Mesa, but she got booted. She'd have been happy to bend your ear for several hours...

I'd suggest you NOT use the starter to see if it turns, do it with the plugs out and a breaker bar. If it stops turning, find out why before you damage something. Stuck lifters are as common as stuck piston rings, but are easily accessed by removing the intake manifold. In fact pulling the manifold is so easy I'd do it just to see what's in there -- you wouldn't believe what people find inside engines; dead rats, mouse nests, acorns...

PS I believe there are 6v/+ ground radios available, for about triple what a really good 12v Alpine CD/DVD/MP3-capable stereo costs. You'll see why people want 12v when you try to find light bulbs and headlights for a decent price.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
OK, I just have to chuckle out loud here. While you offer great advice and I whole-heartedly agree, I couldn't help but notice you don't have your location listed in your profile, either.
You are entirely correct! I forgot that I had neglected that. Hopefully it is corrected now.

As far as 6V to 12V, there are inverters. One is this, there are others.
Power Inverter 6 volts to 12 volts

Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I was wondering if any one on here wouldn't mind coming down and taking a look at the engine, and giving me an idea of where to start on this beast, or to help me get it firing. Ill buy you a case of your favorite beer!!! I live in Costa Mesa, CA
Welcome to FTE!

I live fairly close to you, but I'm presently in Connecticut (until this weekend). I'm not the greatest mechanic to appear on this site, but I would be happy to offer you a hand with the basics, and see if it'll start or at least crank.

If you want to contact me by email, use jollyroger.joe at gmail dot com. I spelled it out to avoid the spammers.

And congratulations on your "new" truck!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
You are entirely correct! I forgot that I had neglected that. Hopefully it is corrected now.

As far as 6V to 12V, there are inverters. One is this, there are others.
Power Inverter 6 volts to 12 volts
That's a very reasonable price for the inverter. I may order one soon.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to FTE...

Quick Reply: Just bought a 1950 f2, Help!